PDA

View Full Version : Honda 216 Problem with Revs

MowMan
16-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone here could help me. I have a problem with my 2 year old Honda 216.

Started it up today. Idle is fine but one you start mowing some grass the revs drop right down and it sounds like it is almost going to stall.

Once you are clear of the grass the revs come right back up again and it idles perfectly.

Have checked the air filter and it is fine.

My local mower shop cant look at it for 2 weeks and I don't really want to push mow for 2 weeks so was hoping someone here could offer some insight.

Thanks in advance
Ben

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Thats what happened to mine and in the end they said the rings where gone.

fairdinkum
16-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Mate there was a similar post a few weeks ago. the advice I was given was to move the spring on the motor end of the throttle cable down a hole or 2. Worked for me.

MowMan
16-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Just had a quick read of that thread, and managed to find those 4 tiny holes.

The spring is currently in the top hole, so I just move it down 2 holes and try it?

Please dont let it be something expensive like the rings.

fairdinkum
16-11-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm no expert but I tried it on the 4th hole for a few days. It went heaps good but I got a bit paranoid that it might be revving TOO high and. So moved it up one to the third hole. Not too bad. But I think maybe just the grass is heaps thick everywhere too.

ian
16-11-2010, 09:52 PM
mowman i hope moving the spring works
also i don't know where you are but if you can look for another dealer there is no way you should be told 2weeks this is your lively hood if the dealer can't understand this you need to find another one i mean if a home owner has to wait a week or 2 to get his stuff fixed his lawn is a bit longer no big deal if it's urgent he can call a contractor but hey no point in calling you because your also being dicked around by the dealer not to mention that you will probably spend more $ with the dealer in a year than any home owner is likely to in a life time

MowMan
16-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks everyone, have moved the spring down 2 holes. Will test it out tomorrow.

Will also drain the carby out and give it a spray with carby cleaner.

I dont know how to fully strip and clean the carby, so will have to leave it at that.

I will also will change the sprak plug.

If all that doesnt work then I guess she is going into the shop and I am pushing the 196 for a while :(

I thought a 2 week turn around was pretty rough :( When I put it in I will try and explain I am a contractor and need it back ASAP. The guy was a bit of a tool and may not have realised the trailer with a ZTR and honda's was a contractor!

ian
16-11-2010, 10:26 PM
it could also be the governer spring the governer is the piece of metal which runs vertically at the back of the mower at the top of this is a spring which connects to the carby if this is broken or just come out it could cause the problem you are having

ian
16-11-2010, 10:36 PM
just realized my instructions re the governor are for the gsv190 engine but i think it may be the same for the gxv 160

MowMan
16-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks Ian, I think I have found a picture of where the governer arm connects to the spring so will check it in the morning.

cadase
16-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Mate find another dealer, 2 weeks is rubbish, you have a 216, odds on he knows your a contractor, that's where he makes his money, not fixing ol' Bert's Homelite.
I've come across a few of these guys, they treat it like they're doing you a favour by looking at your equipment. Plenty of good ones out there also.

ian
16-11-2010, 10:49 PM
this may help explain it a bit better go to page no.4 i'm talking part no.5 part no. 2 is the governor lever http:///www.ereplacementparts.com/honda-gxv160-type-n1e2vin-gj0310000011366578-small-engine-parts-c-37657_37658_38012_64926.html

ian
20-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Danz,

Buy quality re the Pole Saw, I've Husky Multi Tool Commercial one up from domestic grade one.

The mini chain saw needs to be the best you can get re available funding.
I use mine a bit and last Thursday I was doing a large job for Au Post that you can't do until mid avro and I knew I had to work into the evening.
It was all pole sawing thick branched shrubs that was taking up half the employee car park space and scratching cars. They finish work at 2.00pm, thats when the site is clear.

What I gettin at is the chain saw went blunt on me half way through cutting very dirty heavily soiled dirt trapping bottle brush / Callistemon type shrubs. The unit had worked other jobs on the same saw blade.
Luckly I had 45 mins to get to my Husky dealer who put a new chain saw blade on immediately for me and will sharpen the other later when they are not so busy as a carried spare now. They drop everything to get contractor mobile no matter what their work load is to the domestic customer.

Don't get cheap stuff as failure is down right crap on a job, especailly for late arvo jobs. Imagine buying Bunnings or e-bay stuff and expecting the Pro Lawn Mower dealer to help you out 30mins prior to closure when they are flat out themselves. Let alone have the parts stocked.

MowMan i took this from another thread this is the type [or close to it ]of service you should expect from a dealer

danz
21-11-2010, 08:35 AM
I reckon Ian might be on the right track i am pretty sure governors are designed to prevent the engines from operating at speeds beyond there capabilities and helps the engine run smoothly under all types of workloads so i just read and copied lol my thoughts would be check that your throttle cable is not slipping through the clamp so when you lever up to HI revs it just pulls the whole cable and not just the inside wire like it is meant to if that makes sense and as for waiting two weeks to get it looked at that is just a bloody joke anyway good luck champ i hope it gets sorted

MowMan
21-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

Well i couldn't get it working myself so had to take into my local mower service shop. Still couldn't get any better than a 2 week turn around :( This is GYC at Penrith.

They seem to think its the carby/fuel problem.

So now I am pushing my 19inch honda around for the next 2 weeks :(

ian
21-11-2010, 12:15 PM
a search on honda dealers gives 6 including GYC within about 20 kl of Penrith if they tell you 2 weeks again i would suggest ringing around better in my opinion to spend 40 driving and get the equipment back that week than waiting

http://dl.hondampe.com.au/NearestDealerships.aspx?SearchType=Location&Search=2750&Assortment=GRDN&d=P/E

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
21-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Mate i wouldnt **** around with that ****. I take my mowers into shops here and they either say we will have it back this afternoon or say they have to much work on go to one of the other places they know we need our macines. Although most here are hopless telling you machine fixed and its not.

RSM-Gazza
21-11-2010, 08:32 PM
My local Husky dealer in Wodonga who has a ex Husky Regional Mgr as a snr employee will service a contractor on the spot.

They are the busiest dealer in my town by a mile.
I can call in 5 mins after openning or 30 mins prior to closure with 6 domestic customers in the store. I here them tell the domestics that a 2 wk back log is the go, but a contractor is fixed up there and then.
That was the promise when I purchased my entire equipment from them and that promise has been delivered with my ride on, pole saw and mower, re the pole saw drama posted the other day. Thanks to my local Husky dealer team big time.

Twice now I have taken my Masport GXV in during super busy times and asked for a tacho to be put on and rev's checked. First it was 3130RPM and I asked for a small increase which they did on the spot. When I went with pole saw issue I again asked for a rev check, which was done with 6 domestic customers in the store with no funny looks. Just an urgencey to get a contractor back out there ASAP.
Me thinks I'm Lucky to have this service after reading posts here.
Haven't even paid for the pole saw fix up yet as they just wanted me back out in the field ASAP and fix it up dollar wise next visit.

MowMan
22-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Wow! Well I guess I am getting ripped :(

Thanks for the info guys! And thanks for the list of local Honda dealers Ian.

Guess I will be finding a new dealer now. All my gear (including a ZTR ride on) has been purchased at this shop, but I guess I will be finding a new dealer now!

ian
22-11-2010, 05:54 PM
i remember reading a trade mag once where they do profiles on contractors and dealer and a dealer stated that as far as he was concerned a contractor was just another customer and he would never give them preferential treatment and i just thought to myself and you would only get me if there was no one else i could go to i'm not going to spend a couple of grand a year at a place that says i'm only as important as the guy who wants to argue with them about the price of a $249 lawn mower, by the same token i don't expect them to grovel to me or be rude to the other guy if we're in the store at the same time. the real funny thing was in the contractor profile the guy gave a plug for his dealer [ different part of the country] because he always gives me priority and understands i'm running a business

also Mowman remember dealers other than Honda can service Hondas and like car mechanics the other guy could be better and cheaper

RSM-Gazza
22-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Went into my local Husky/Honda dealer to pay for the rapid Pole Saw chain fix from last Thursday being close to lock up time at the time.
Thanked them dearly today for such rapid contractor service given on the occassion and previously provided. Bought a back up Pole Saw chain whilst there too.
We spend well as contractors with initial purchases and over time with supply needs and maintenance.
Thats why I bought my entire gear from this one dealer at good prices to start with along with the promised quick back up service. Plus good car parking when the trailer is attached. Was told when I purchased the Husky 26hp ride on that if it broke down on the job and I couldn't get it out of a clients property, they were a phone call away. Priceless support me thinks.
Think a carton of CUB prior to Xmas on a Friday prior to lock up maybe the go for them.

MowMan
30-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Well I got it back the other day. Only took 1 week.

It was the carby. Cleaned carby $60 and new air filter $23. Now runs like a dream!

ian
30-11-2010, 08:21 PM

It was the carby. Cleaned carby $60 and new air filter $23. Now runs like a dream!

might be time to look at joining ilmcoa if you haven't already and using there shop

http://www.indmowing.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=74&products_id=384
http://www.indmowing.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=565

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
30-11-2010, 09:35 PM

you should have cleaned the carby your self mate takes less than half hour work.

GreenHaven
30-11-2010, 11:58 PM
about 5 minutes if it was just a bit of junk in the jet. filters should be changed when they need it anyway.

courty
01-12-2010, 12:04 AM
you should have cleaned the carby your self mate takes less than half hour work.

about 5 minutes if it was just a bit of junk in the jet. filters should be changed when they need it anyway.

If your not mechanically minded it seems a fair enough price to me for the carby clean.

Tony F
01-12-2010, 12:29 PM
GYC - grab your cash - is all there good for. I recently had 1 of my stihl brushcutters in for warranty repairs for the fouth time, every time they said it was operator error. It wasn't until I told them I had purchased another of the same brushcutters at the same time and it had no problems, and that there had to be more to it that operator error. I told them that fuel was litterally pouring out of the carby and saturating the filter, which made it virtually impossible too start until the next day when filter had dried up. Eventually repaired under warranty in one day, as they had the parts, then they forgot to ring me that the unit was ready. I waited almost 3 weeks. Need too find some one else. They were far better when they were Independant. Re original post I will try moving the spring as well as I've had similar problems

MowMan
01-12-2010, 01:07 PM

I have tried spraying craby cleaner on previous occassions. But I think this time it needed to be stripped down and cleaned which is a bit over my head :(

AB318
01-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I have tried spraying craby cleaner on previous occassions. But I think this time it needed to be stripped down and cleaned which is a bit over my head :(

If I may make a suggestion...next time you write off a mower or if you see one with similar engine as yours (nearly all Hondas are basically the same bar the engine capacity) on the rubbish heap...

grab it
pull it apart
look at where things come from (take photos if necessary)
put it back together
repeat

They really are fairly simple and the Honda carbies, 9 times out of 10, give trouble because of a teaspoon of water in the float bowl that blocks the main jet.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
01-12-2010, 05:58 PM

Mate it is very simple i wasnever into mechanics but ive pulled mine off a couple of times if i was there i could show you but basically take off air filter bit pull carby off and undo bottom bolt and thats your carby clean any rubbish in there put back together.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
also get some fuel additive from dean i brought some ages ago lasts long time those bottles cap full in each jerry cleans jets stops water etc etc

Andy B
01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
If I may make a suggestion...next time you write off a mower or if you see one with similar engine as yours (nearly all Hondas are basically the same bar the engine capacity) on the rubbish heap...

grab it
pull it apart
look at where things come from (take photos if necessary)
put it back together
repeat

They really are fairly simple and the Honda carbies, 9 times out of 10, give trouble because of a teaspoon of water in the float bowl that blocks the main jet.

Great advice! Nothing beats pulling something apart without risk of making it worse just to see how it works, when you have time of course.