PDA

View Full Version : Bump feed head siezed

Neil&family
16-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Any ideas on how to get the bump feed head off my brushy. Got a feral lawn tomorrow and would really like to put the blade on.Hav'nt had it off in a while as i did'nt think of it as part of my maintenance schedule. Will be in the future though.

This is what i have tried...

Removed both of the eyelets and inserted a 6mm steel rod through both holes.Sprayed the thread with penetrene and tried to persuade it with a couple of good taps of the hammer. No good it wont move.

South East Mowing
16-11-2010, 06:12 PM
:xmasHave you tried "anti clockwise"??? or clockwise?

Bluey
16-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Most go on anti clockwise so come of clockwise. Are you stopping the shaft from turning as you attempt to get it off? Not sure what else you could do if you cannot get it to budge. Good luck

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-11-2010, 06:44 PM
have never taken mine off maybe i should

Neil&family
16-11-2010, 07:01 PM
looking down from the top it should be clockwise to release, So the book says.

The only way to stop the shaft is by inserting An allen key through the little hole in the picture. I think there might be a bit of damage in there now as it grabs a little when the head is rotated. Not really bothered by it too much as i need to buy a back up soon anyway.

Fred's mowing
16-11-2010, 07:20 PM
looking down from the top it should be clockwise to release, So the book says.

The only way to stop the shaft is by inserting An allen key through the little hole in the picture. I think there might be a bit of damage in there now as it grabs a little when the head is rotated. Not really bothered by it too much as i need to buy a back up soon anyway.

Thats how u do it.
Cheers Dean.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
16-11-2010, 07:41 PM
If you haven't had the head off in a while there might be a bit of gunk built up in there. Just turn the head slowly until the allen key locks in and turn the head clockwise while you are looking at the bottom of it. Thats if it is a GA or Sten head and I'm pretty sure the shindi head is reverse thread as well.

Just remember once you do get it off. When you put another one on don't put it on too tight as they are self tightening and you could end up with the same problem again.

Andy B
16-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Hate bump and feeds! (Sorry couldn't resist)

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
16-11-2010, 08:54 PM

What do you use then?

Andy B
16-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Alloy heads, luckily only broken 1 so far and it came off easy.

danz
16-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I would make sure the hole where you stick the allen key is clean of gunk, I even use a thick nail i nothing else on hand anyway stick it in the hole and spin the head slow with you hands until you feel the nail or allen key drop in further so head wont spin and feels locked, then i would just turn your plastic bumpfeed head with a good grip anti clockwise,then the hole head should just wind off with the nut thats how i do mine anyway could be different mate ... if it doesnt WD 40 or SRC or smack it around abit and call it some names

Bgs
16-11-2010, 09:40 PM

Love them!!! (Sorry couldn't resist) I have 4 spools ready to go for a quick change over when needed.

Fred's mowing
16-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Love them!!! (Sorry couldn't resist) I have 4 spools ready to go for a quick change over when needed.

But they,re that quick it only takes 30secs to reload:confused:
Cheers Dean.

Bgs
16-11-2010, 10:04 PM
But they,re that quick it only takes 30secs to reload:confused:
Cheers Dean.

and it only takes 2 secs to change a pre loaded one lol.

I find the spool is the only part that really wears out so I like to have a few on hand and rotate them

ian
16-11-2010, 10:07 PM
insert an allen key into the hole and get a good grip on the head and turn clockwise this should loosen it
if you don't take the head off how do you grease the gears? on the shindi you remove the head then the other pieces under the head then there is a metal spacer which you pullout then when you pump the grease in through the side the old grease comes out through here

Fred's mowing
16-11-2010, 10:39 PM
and it only takes 2 secs to change a pre loaded one lol.

I find the spool is the only part that really wears out so I like to have a few on hand and rotate them

But u gotta reload them anyway, looks like you,ve just blown 2 seconds:D.
Cheers Dean.

Neil&family
16-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I have had the head off plenty of times just not in the last 6 months or so.I'm guessing i over tightend it and its stuck for good. Found some replacement gearboxes online that come with all the bushes and different splines to suite most brushy's but at $176 i'll do with out it.
I have replaced the little bolt with a grease nipple and give it a pump daily.The old grease gets pushed out the hole that lines up to undo the head. Might see if Big W have got any popes left in the morning.Do they come with a blade?

Mick
16-11-2010, 11:04 PM
You could get one of those strap type wrench's. They look like oil filter wrench but a bit bigger I think. Wrap it around the head for more leverage.

You'll still need to lock the shaft though.

Bluey
17-11-2010, 04:16 PM
You could get one of those strap type wrench's. They look like oil filter wrench but a bit bigger I think. Wrap it around the head for more leverage.

You'll still need to lock the shaft though.

Yes that sounds a good idea. Stick the whippy in a vice so you can work two handed on it and get some purchase.

Neil&family
17-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks Fella's.. I didn't need the blade today as the PITA with the feral Lawn decided she would ring me 2 hrs after the agreed time to cancel.I got a sneeky feeling she thought i'd been and gone, No one home and a FOR RENT sign hidden behind a wheelie bin.Told her i'm not touching it unless she had money up front hence she said she will do it herself. GOOD LUCK

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
17-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks Fella's.. I didn't need the blade today as the PITA with the feral Lawn decided she would ring me 2 hrs after the agreed time to cancel.I got a sneeky feeling she thought i'd been and gone, No one home and a FOR RENT sign hidden behind a wheelie bin.Told her i'm not touching it unless she had money up front hence she said she will do it herself. GOOD LUCK

Yeah... good call mate

ian
17-11-2010, 08:48 PM
neil what brand of brushie have you got $170 sounds pricey for a generic gear box you can get a complete replacement for a shindi t260 for i think about $100 delivered from the u.s

Neil&family
17-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Its an Oleo Mac 725se.

Never had to buy anything for it so i don't know how dear the parts are.

Found the universal one here http://www.outdoorking.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=112_353_354&products_id=1319

gcsmow
23-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Once you have locked up the shaft with an allen key try putting a chain wrench (as used for un-doing oil filters) around the head and un-do (or should that be do-up) when you do get it off get yourself a tub of anti-seize and put some on the threads. I swear by anti-seize and use it every where. One tub will last you for years and save you a lot of hassles.