PDA

View Full Version : Can you convert a boat trailer to a mowing trailer?

VJinTownsville
20-11-2010, 09:19 PM
As I am getting a ZTR and needing a longer drawbar and dual axles, I am shopping for a new trailer. The ZTR is already costing me heaps so getting a custom made one will just kill me financially.

I found this boat trailer with adjustable tandem axles, its about 6m long. The rusted bits out the back can be chopped out making it shorter (which I want to anyway and maybe chop out +60cms off and then slide the axles forward 50cm.) remove all the rollers and winch bracket and other useless deadweights.

I dont mind just getting the drawbar kitted out to accomodate the mower, ZTR, pull down ramps and then register it as plant trailer etc. I can sort out the greenwaste cage another day. I sortve have plans to make a tipper/homemade dumping mechanism but I want to get first things first. (fudge, i dont even have ZTR yet!)

Can someone please give me some pointers on making this happen? I havent done anything this extensive and complicated

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
21-11-2010, 07:19 AM
As I am getting a ZTR and needing a longer drawbar and dual axles, I am shopping for a new trailer. The ZTR is already costing me heaps so getting a custom made one will just kill me financially.

I found this boat trailer with adjustable tandem axles, its about 6m long. The rusted bits out the back can be chopped out making it shorter (which I want to anyway and maybe chop out +60cms off and then slide the axles forward 50cm.) remove all the rollers and winch bracket and other useless deadweights.

I dont mind just getting the drawbar kitted out to accomodate the mower, ZTR, pull down ramps and then register it as plant trailer etc. I can sort out the greenwaste cage another day. I sortve have plans to make a tipper/homemade dumping mechanism but I want to get first things first. (fudge, i dont even have ZTR yet!)

Can someone please give me some pointers on making this happen? I havent done anything this extensive and complicated

The guy from butler mowing has taken a boat trailer and converted it into a mowing trailer. Mind you i think it was a big boat that use to go on the trailer. His set up was to just put a floor across the top which he puts 2 216 and a walker mower and the back half he built a cage that actually tips on top of the original chasie. I see you sometime during the week and show you what i mean exactly.

VJinTownsville
21-11-2010, 09:59 AM
yea im definitely getting it. unless something crazy comes up. the tipper wil be hinged on top of the chassis and lifted up by one of those exhaust jacks u get from 4x4 places. ive sortve got this design planned up in my head lol im sure it will go belly up when its put to the test!

simo
21-11-2010, 04:05 PM
yea im definitely getting it. unless something crazy comes up. the tipper wil be hinged on top of the chassis and lifted up by one of those exhaust jacks u get from 4x4 places. ive sortve got this design planned up in my head lol im sure it will go belly up when its put to the test!

Check that the exhaust jack can lift it high enough as i`ve seen them on trailers only lift to about 45 deg max..not enough for the grass to slide out. .:)

VJinTownsville
21-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Ive got a lil set up on my old trailer now, an old bed frame underneath with some thick black plastic under all that greenwaste. I only need to lift it 45 deg then most falls off then the rest i can rake out or pull the bed frame all the way up. The black plastic underneath makes things easier to fall out then

Andy B
22-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey VJ, how's it going, search through the different type of trailers thread and have a look at some of Tassie's pictures. From memory he converted a boat trailer and modified another.

VJinTownsville
22-11-2010, 07:52 PM
sh*t everyone has been discouraging me here bout getting that trailer. seems they say its not worth the trouble. I dont know much about the trailers thats the only thing. the trailer place charges a mint to get it to roadworthy setup and towing it is $100 return trip from the trailer place to the transport department.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
22-11-2010, 08:26 PM
sh*t everyone has been discouraging me here bout getting that trailer. seems they say its not worth the trouble. I dont know much about the trailers thats the only thing. the trailer place charges a mint to get it to roadworthy setup and towing it is $100 return trip from the trailer place to the transport department.

What? mate the rules in Queensland are that you dont need a rodworthy to register a trailer. You go into Queensland Transport and get a form you fill out the lengths and weights of the trailer. Then wether or not it has brakes and they decide which category it fits in and then you pay the rego, then every year you pay the rego. There is no roadworthy the guy at eclipse trailers started saying to me about roadworthy certificate and then i thought hang on ive never roadworthy any other trailer.

Mick
22-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I'd keep the winch for if/when you need to get the non running/damaged machine on the trailer. Its a bugger to do alone, impossible for me if not on a hill. Im actually thinking about adding one at some stage.

VJinTownsville
22-11-2010, 10:01 PM
cheers whippsy ill check them out tomoro and let you know too. who knows if this works out then u will have a platform to work on as well for your rig.

Mick, theres the bracket but no winch. but luckily on one of my rubbish removal jobs this old fella gave me an electric winch i can chuck on the trailer if need be

Mick
23-11-2010, 07:15 AM
electric winch would be great and was what I was really thinking about, one with a remote control or something. Could use it if you get bogged. Drive mower while being winched would be great. Also mean wouldnt need to drive over lawn so much. If you have the bracket your half way there. I'd have to mod my trailer.

Andy B
23-11-2010, 08:47 PM
What? mate the rules in Queensland are that you dont need a rodworthy to register a trailer. You go into Queensland Transport and get a form you fill out the lengths and weights of the trailer. Then wether or not it has brakes and they decide which category it fits in and then you pay the rego, then every year you pay the rego. There is no roadworthy the guy at eclipse trailers started saying to me about roadworthy certificate and then i thought hang on ive never roadworthy any other trailer.

The advice I was given from QLD transport just over 12mths ago was if rego has expired or it's a first time rego you need a road worthy. :i dunno: Get on their website and suss it out.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
23-11-2010, 09:50 PM
The advice I was given from QLD transport just over 12mths ago was if rego has expired or it's a first time rego you need a road worthy. :i dunno: Get on their website and suss it out.

Thats strange cause ive registered many trailers most boat trailers and ive never yet gotten a radworthy certificate unless they changed the rules in the last 12 months.

VJinTownsville
23-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Maybe I should do a dodgy lol...I just hate the fact I have to get it towed to get it fixed/checked by engineer then tow it to get roadworthy then ive just spent a sh*tload already

Andy B
24-11-2010, 11:06 AM
You're right tllg, only need a safety certificate if trailer is over 750kg.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registration/Registering-vehicles/Caravans-and-light-trailers.aspx