PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted grass identification

Neil&family
01-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Can anyone tell me what this grass is. Seems to have only recently popped up in my couch and i can see it spreading.

Anjaryan
01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi Neil & Family,

That is clover.

The leaf is in the bottom of the photo but that is the flower

Wombat Garden Services
01-12-2010, 06:20 PM
There is clover in the foreground, but the thing with the white head on it looks like Mullumbimby couch or a similar Cyperaceae :Rain:

Redeye
01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
yep, mullum couch

Neil&family
01-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Whats the secret to getting rid of it?. I,m guessing by hand considering it's a breed of couch in a blue couch lawn.

About 7 years ago i had a weed wand which was poly pipe with a T section at the bottom with a whick like rope from end to end. Has anyone seen them recently?. I've only seen the ones with a little claw on the bottom.

Wombat Garden Services
02-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Try some suitable lawnweeder spay, like Searles Lawnweeder or similar, dont spray buffalo lawns with anything with dicamba in it ;)

4 Gardens
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Whats the secret to getting rid of it?. I,m guessing by hand considering it's a breed of couch in a blue couch lawn.

About 7 years ago i had a weed wand which was poly pipe with a T section at the bottom with a whick like rope from end to end. Has anyone seen them recently?. I've only seen the ones with a little claw on the bottom.

Bunnings sell the Zero weeding wand - white tube you fill with chemical and with a brush on the end. Cost is about $30.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
02-12-2010, 06:48 PM
There is clover in the foreground, but the thing with the white head on it looks like Mullumbimby couch or a similar Cyperaceae :Rain:

Yeah agree. Even round up doesn't always get rid of that crap. Be careful what you use. Sorry I can't tell you what to use exactly

Neil&family
02-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Chemspray Multiweed apparently.
http://www.amgrow.com.au/products/weed_cs_multiweed.htm

Will give it a go when the weather fines up a little. It's my own yard so if i fail i can kick my own arse lol.

courty
02-12-2010, 08:16 PM
I've had good results lately with Multi weed on other stuff but haven't tried it on mullum couch yet.

DavidS
15-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Barmac QLD (07) 3280 3000 ask for Technical Section, they can advise you as to what chemical you maybe able to use on the QLD blue couch for the Mullimbimbi couch

gcsmow
04-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Is Mullumbimby couch also called nut grass ? Or is that something different ?

ian
04-01-2011, 11:15 AM
i don't think so i think nut grass is also called onion weed

Stripes
04-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Nut grass looks like a taller version of Mullumbimby couch. Nut grass and Mullumbimby couch are different species of Cyperus (genus). Onion weed is different altogether.
They are all a nightmare to get rid of. You have to be very persistent to get rid of it with re treating constantly as they all have bulbs that just keep coming.

NLALM
04-01-2011, 05:14 PM
There are chemicals out that will control nut grass and there is one that will control onion weed but they are very expensive. To kill em with round up you have to keep spraying it.

Redeye
04-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I use grazon - get it off a farmer mate for nix

gcsmow
04-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Has anyone had anything to do with "Woody Weed Spray" I was asked to use it to kill carpet grass. What else will it treat? It would be great if we could put photos on here to help other people identify common lawn weeds.

Redeye
04-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Has anyone had anything to do with "Woody Weed Spray" I was asked to use it to kill carpet grass. What else will it treat? It would be great if we could put photos on here to help other people identify common lawn weeds.
is this a Toy Story product?:big grin sorry... gotta house full of grommets atm

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
04-01-2011, 08:14 PM
There are chemicals out that will control nut grass and there is one that will control onion weed but they are very expensive. To kill em with round up you have to keep spraying it.

I beg to differ. I have wiped out a whole garden bed of onion weed with one application of roundup. Just add a good squirt of dish washing liquid to 10 litres of round up. didn't even have to spray twice.

gcsmow
04-01-2011, 09:16 PM
A splash of vinegar as well so I am told to lower the PH of the water and make it more effective. I tried it the other day, will have to wait and see what the results are like, well let you know.

Bluey
04-01-2011, 09:21 PM
And take a leak in in the sprayer and do a little dance around it muttering "bubble bubble boil and trouble eye of newt wing of bat little girls tongues and things like that"

gcsmow
04-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah, well if you think it will help. It would be good to get a second use out of all that expensive beer an bourbon that I buy. Maybe I could claim it on tax? Have to ask the accountant about that one.

And take a leak in in the sprayer and do a little dance around it muttering "bubble bubble boil and trouble eye of newt wing of bat little girls tongues and things and things like that"

ian
04-01-2011, 10:12 PM
And take a leak in in the sprayer and do a little dance around it muttering "bubble bubble boil and trouble eye of newt wing of bat little girls tongues and things like that"

sorry to break it to you bluey but i think you will find it's not the dance it's the added nitrogen and trace elements in the urine that makes the difference

Mrs HMS
04-01-2011, 10:29 PM
sorry to break it to you bluey but i think you will find it's not the dance it's the added nitrogen and trace elements in the urine that makes the difference

Couldn't hurt and it would be worth watching. :laughing:

gcsmow
05-01-2011, 07:59 AM
Pregnant women's pee is the best thing for roses so I am told.

Redeye
05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
A splash of vinegar as well so I am told to lower the PH of the water and make it more effective. I tried it the other day, will have to wait and see what the results are like, well let you know.
sounds like folklore/urban myth/old wives tale to me :monkey

gcsmow
05-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Well, I've had plenty of people recommend it including farmers and qualified horticulturalists. I'll try anything once!

I once experimented putting food colouring in poison so I could see where I had and hadn't poisoned. I don't bother any more, I just rely on my short term memory, which still works even after the abuse I've given it in the past. :flush

sounds like folklore/urban myth/old wives tale to me :monkey

ian
05-01-2011, 10:38 PM
i add food colour to my poison makes it easier to see how full the bottle is but useless as a spray indicator unless you add heaps

gcsmow
05-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Yes that is exactly what I found, food colouring is not cheap and I wasn't able to buy in bulk.

i add food colour to my poison makes it easier to see how full the bottle is but useless as a spray indicator unless you add heaps

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
05-01-2011, 10:45 PM
we use to add food colouring to the hormone to kill the banana suckers we didnt want that way we knew which one was being kept other wise you culd have quite easily poisioned them all killing the whole paddock off.

gcsmow
05-01-2011, 10:56 PM
How do you make a Hormone?

Beaj
05-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Punch her in the head

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
05-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Put sand in her vaseline. Actualy the product we used was called 24d and it is the same chemical as what they called asian orange in vietname but not as strong a quality.

NLALM
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Hey Tender did you ever use rugby on the bananas ?

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
06-01-2011, 06:22 PM
When we where kids the farm down the road the dad used to love us playing footy in the old paddockk he was about to knock out. If thats what your refering too.

NLALM
06-01-2011, 06:34 PM
When we where kids the farm down the road the dad used to love us playing footy in the old paddockk he was about to knock out. If thats what your refering too.

Na rugby is a nematicide that they use on bananas. I was just wondering how common it was. I had to get a permit once to use it on turf prety toxic stuff.

Bluey
06-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah well you could use the Wallabies to take out bananas. Just about all they are good for at the moment.

Christine Wharton
17-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Can anyone identify this grass and advise what poison is best to use to eradicate it from a buffalo lawn?
Thanks in anticipation :)

ian
18-01-2013, 10:20 AM
maybe a type of saltene http://www.swtafe.vic.edu.au/toolbox/turf/html/pages/office/grass_roots/turf_types.html#saltene but whatever it is i think you will find it hard to get a pioson that will kill it without killing the buffalo

DavidS
19-01-2013, 02:35 AM
It's not a Paspalum.

DavidS
04-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Hi Christine,
The runner does not look like it belongs to the seedhead, the runner looks like kikuyu and the seedhead looks like Summer grass/Crab grass, you could take a sample to local golf club or Primary Industries office for correct id. If it's Summer grass you can use a chemical MSMA which is safe to use on Buffalo. If golf clud id as Summer grass ask them if they have some MSMA that you can spray out, as long as they pour it into your sprayer it's legal as you are going spray out that day.