PDA

View Full Version : Plastic honda catcher coming apart.

Andy B
06-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi All, my apologies for being selfish and not reading all the threads/posts from the last few days. It's great to see so many contributing! Keep it up!

I've solved the catcher falling off problems, ie: clean out the flap, hold the handle and push down the corners, clean out the edge on the catcher.

My new problem is the catcher separating into two when it gets a bit of weight in it. I've occy strapped it together as the little joiner lugs don't seem to want to lock in anymore. Any one else had this problem and what did you do to fix it???? I was thinking I'd drill holes in both pieces and wire them together unless someone has a better solution??? Thanks in advance for any ideas/solutions!

:?:?:?

Fred's mowing
06-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Your idea sounds feasable Andy, but if u get lazy grab a cam buckle strap.
I use these heaps 4 lots of stuff & love em!
Cheers Dean.

South East Mowing
06-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Hi All, my apologies for being selfish and not reading all the threads/posts from the last few days. It's great to see so many contributing! Keep it up!

I've solved the catcher falling off problems, ie: clean out the flap, hold the handle and push down the corners, clean out the edge on the catcher.

My new problem is the catcher separating into two when it gets a bit of weight in it. I've occy strapped it together as the little joiner lugs don't seem to want to lock in anymore. Any one else had this problem and what did you do to fix it???? I was thinking I'd drill holes in both pieces and wire them together unless someone has a better solution??? Thanks in advance for any ideas/solutions!

:?:?:?

Thats what I do with them Andy, or good strong cable ties as wire can sometimes catch on clothing etc depending how you do it!
This happens to mine from day 1 together with the metal piece on the front along withy a few other things- that way they actually last!!!:who-knows

Anjaryan
07-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I did that to my bushranger cathcer.. fixed it nice, but as LWH said it does catch on your clothes.

A cable tie with the long bit/cut off on the inside of the catcher would work well me thinks.

Cheers

Andrew

geoff1969
07-12-2010, 04:20 PM
when i first got mine i put a thin bead of silicone around it then put it together = never had a problem silicone works like a flexible glue and helps join it and if the need be to seperate it its only a minute with a sharp stanley knife blade to cut through the silcone

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
07-12-2010, 05:08 PM
I dont understand why comercial mowers have plastic catchers all my mowers have mesh catchers.

ian
07-12-2010, 09:47 PM
I dont understand why comercial mowers have plastic catchers all my mowers have mesh catchers.

the new honda pushies have mesh catchers

Andy B
07-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks for that, a packet of cable ties will be on the list of to do's tomorrow, lot less mucking around then turning and cutting wire etc, thanks again.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
07-12-2010, 10:09 PM
The clips on the plastic catchers are only designed to clip together once, which is pretty stupid or pretty smart if you designed them for honda. If you drop your new plastic catcher on concrete like I did and the catcher falls apart your stuck unless you have a spare with you or the bits to fix it. Anyway I'll stop rambling. I turned mine upside down and used a screwdriver and hammer to distort the clips enough that they held in place and has been fine since.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
07-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Is it just me or do others belive a commercial machine should have no or next to no plastic. M proscape had a plastic piece for the three in one which i broke in 2 days if it had been made out of steeel or even tin it would not get broken.

Anjaryan
07-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Is it just me or do others belive a commercial machine should have no or next to no plastic. M proscape had a plastic piece for the three in one which i broke in 2 days if it had been made out of steeel or even tin it would not get broken.

Do the manufacturers make more from the original purchase or parts?? If they make them so strong they wont break we would never buy another one.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
07-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Do the manufacturers make more from the original purchase or parts?? If they make them so strong they wont break we would never buy another one.

Yeah but if they break too much we will move to a different mower that wont break. Every time my machine breaks its costing me money both in jobs not getting done and paying a offsider while i m attempting fixing it or running it to the shop.

ian
08-12-2010, 01:21 PM
if anyone around the knox area [ eastern suburbs victoria ]wants to buy a brand new never used poly catcher for a 196/197 for $80 P.M me

Andy B
08-12-2010, 07:57 PM
You wouldn't believe, went and bought some cable ties tonight and went to get the drill ready to do the repair and the f#$%ing thing is gone!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really not sure if I left it on the side of the road yesterday when I was being pelted with rain or it was flogged off my mower deck at the tip or school or daycare or out the front of my place but I'm leaning towards theft cause there was no reason to take it off when I put it on as I'd left the other mower at home. :(

geoff1969
08-12-2010, 08:19 PM
You wouldn't believe, went and bought some cable ties tonight and went to get the drill ready to do the repair and the f#$%ing thing is gone!!!!!!!!!!! I'm really not sure if I left it on the side of the road yesterday when I was being pelted with rain or it was flogged off my mower deck at the tip or school or daycare or out the front of my place but I'm leaning towards theft cause there was no reason to take it off when I put it on as I'd left the other mower at home. :(

arrrhhh that sucks ... saw a bloke about a month ago on ftg rd and stud road intersection drive along and had his mower on his mower deck of the trailer draw bar and the catcher fell off as he went over a few bumps luck for him he noticed and stoped to pick it up ... this wouldnt have happend to yours has it andy ?

Andy B
08-12-2010, 10:13 PM
I hope not I always put it on the deck, and the reason I think it was swiped as opposed to me leaving it on the footpath was that it was the only mower I took yesterday so there was plenty of room to leave the catcher on to bolt the ramp closed. So I can't for the life of me work out why I would of taken it off. I rang the client and went and doorknocked the neighbours to be sure. Even went and walked down to where I had last emptied it incase for some insane reason I'd left it there. At least I have packet of cable ties in my tool box now and hopefully a new catcher thanks to Ian.

Andy B
20-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Just want to say a big shout out to Ian! He looked after me with the new catcher and threw me a second older one as well. Thanks Ian, really appreciate it. I've zip tied all the joins and drilled holes in the back top corners for extra air flow and she isn't looking quite so new after a couple of weeks use.

imoww
17-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Ive just about gone through 2 Honda mesh bags. Wholes ripped in them from bloody small sticks.... The edges are worn out too.
Is there any othewr way of getting them to last longer?

HPM
17-10-2013, 09:47 PM
I split some fuel hose and put it along the back edge of the catcher over the bag and zip tie it on which stops the 2 corners from wearing out.
If i get any holes I will sew them up with a big needle ( 4 inch long ) and some heavy thread ( wax cotton ) before they get any bigger.
I use the cheap evilbay bags and get a full year out of each one.