PDA

View Full Version : Pope Hedger dies when revved

danz
13-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi fella's theres something up with my pope hedger she idles fine but as soon as i rev it she dies any ideas what may be wrong i have checked fuel cap, spark plug, fuel lines and air filter, ??????????

cap
13-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Sounds like a fuel problem, its runs ok at idle but dies when you rev it, seems to be starving for fuel as you open up the throttle.

Could be wrong but there may be a prob with the carby?

Mick
13-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Check theres nothing in the exhaust (wasp nest comes to mind) or take off the spark arrestor if it has one and check its clear.
Has it been hot? Try putting it in a cool place before use.

ian
13-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Check there's nothing in the exhaust (wasp nest comes to mind) or take off the spark arrestor if it has one and check its clear.
Has it been hot? Try putting it in a cool place before use.

if these are clear take off the muffler and check the exhaust port isn't blocked if it is then clear it but be careful not to scratch the piston if this doesn't work get some carby cleaner ie:MOREYS UPPER CYLINDER LUBRICANT and to fuel and let idle for a while this may clean the carby without having to pull it apart

Redeye
13-12-2010, 09:17 PM
new in-tank filter

kakegc
15-12-2010, 08:22 PM
I think that you've either got an air leak somewhere mate, or crap in a jet! Try tightening the nuts that hold the carbie on. Failing that, there maybe a hole in the fuel lines? last resort: cleaning the jets :(

gcsmow
16-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Could be any one of those things mentioned. Do one thing at a time and re-test it that way you can pin-point the problem.

I had a problem with my Pope snipper, re tighten the intake port screws and carby screws as kakegc said, sometimes they don't tighten them properly in the factory. Don't jump to the most expensive conclusion first, it could be something simple. What is it like once it has warmed up? My Pope snipper will not idle when it is cold .... it just won't have it.

danz
04-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I forgot to reply to this i tried a new fuel in tank filter it was no better anyway i took the carby apart and blew it out with the air gun put it back together and she went like a dream for about 30 mins then died same thing again.. the fuel tank is clean and the fuel is as clean as a whistle so it has to be a carby problem i guess

Redeye
04-01-2011, 05:41 PM
for the price, it might be cheaper to get a new one than get it repaired

gcsmow
04-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Yep, but keep the old one for parts. Have you tried spark plug?

Bluey
04-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Is it only occurring when cold. I noticed this with mine too at a cold start. If you do as we are all supposed to do and let it warm up you won't have a problem. I have gotten into the habit of getting all my gear I am going to use out first up and cranking them over and let them run for a couple of minutes to warm up. Do the same with the vehicle as I am doing last minute checks on the gear for the day. Probably annoys the neighbours but I am just getting my own back for thier late night parties

gcsmow
09-02-2011, 12:05 AM
I had the same problem as you are talking about with my pope 33 cc brushie (Big W special $148.00). Today I fixed it:thinking. On the carby there is a brass screw (flat not phillips) I screwed it out about quarter of a turn and looked to see that it was blowing a little bit of smoke when I revved it and Voila!! Brilliant, 100% better. I gave it a bit more juice and no more problem. It even sounds happier. I think that if a 2 stroke isn't blowing a bit of smoke there's something wrong. Try it :wave-hi:

Hi fella's theres something up with my pope hedger she idles fine but as soon as i rev it she dies any ideas what may be wrong i have checked fuel cap, spark plug, fuel lines and air filter, ??????????

edbeek
09-02-2011, 06:18 AM
My Stihl brushie occasionally does this and I just adjust the high speed adjustment screw. Take notice of the initial setting, then screw it in and out and return to the original position. It generally works fine again after that. Must be a bit of gunk at the jet.

When you screw it in, dont screw it in hard. Just till it touches the seat lightly, then out again

gcsmow
09-02-2011, 07:59 AM
My echo chainsaw wants to die after it comes back down to idle from full revs after cutting something. Which mixture screw should I adjust? If I screw the Low speed one out a bit will it prevent this?

My Stihl brushie occasionally does this and I just adjust the high speed adjustment screw. Take notice of the initial setting, then screw it in and out and return to the original position. It generally works fine again after that. Must be a bit of gunk at the jet.

When you screw it in, dont screw it in hard. Just till it touches the seat lightly, then out again

edbeek
09-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Yes gcsmow, I'd give that a try if the idle speed is already high enough.
Opening the low speed adjust screw should richen it up at idle. Just do small adjustments and blip the throttle till it speeds up & slows down smoothly.
Can't do any harm. Just keep a note of it's position before you start so you can go back to that if things don't improve, and start looking for other areas that might be causing the prob.
Where you can do damage is with the high speed mixture adjustment. Lean it up too much and you can make the engine overspeed which causes inadequate lubrication and overheating =blown engine.
Hmm Maybe I should add a disclaimer... Play with your carby at your own risk :)

Andy B
15-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Any one had a go at sharpening one of these pope hedgers???

I can't get at all the surfaces as the tools that came with it are metric but I think the bolts/nuts are imperial and I can't get that top guard off???

Cheap crap! :hit wall

Mine did a crappy job on diosma the other day and now all the tips are brown. I can't afford anything decent at the moment but have more to cut in the next few weeks.

63impala
15-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Ask the miss if she will bye you new toy lol lol:big grin:FU

Andy B
15-02-2011, 01:52 PM
If she was buying it it'd have to weigh 2kg and electric, she's a bit of a greenie.

gcsmow
15-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Are we still talking about hedge trimmers? Or other types of toys :laughing:

If she was buying it it'd have to weigh 2kg and electric, she's a bit of a greenie.

Fred's mowing
15-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Any one had a go at sharpening one of these pope hedgers???

I can't get at all the surfaces as the tools that came with it are metric but I think the bolts/nuts are imperial and I can't get that top guard off???

Cheap crap! :hit wall

Mine did a crappy job on diosma the other day and now all the tips are brown. I can't afford anything decent at the moment but have more to cut in the next few weeks.

Andy r u sure its the sharpness?
Can u c daylight between the blades?
Cheers Fred.

Andy B
15-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Andy r u sure its the sharpness?
Can u c daylight between the blades?
Cheers Fred.

I'm not 100% sure, might of been I cut them too quickly or might of been the weather (rained about 3 inches the night after I cut them).

From the last bolt to the tip I can see daylight, it sort of comes apart and back together? and they sort of do that between the other bolts a bit too. But can't loosen them or tighten them to play with them cause 6mm is too small and 7mm is too big so I figure I need whatever imperial spanner is in-between??

(Good thing about cheap stuff is I'm not afraid to take it apart to learn how it works. ;) )

courty
15-02-2011, 07:20 PM
sounds like you need a 1/4AF spanner Andy

Redeye
15-02-2011, 07:31 PM
6.5mm is pretty common

Fred's mowing
15-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm not 100% sure, might of been I cut them too quickly or might of been the weather (rained about 3 inches the night after I cut them).

From the last bolt to the tip I can see daylight, it sort of comes apart and back together? and they sort of do that between the other bolts a bit too. But can't loosen them or tighten them to play with them cause 6mm is too small and 7mm is too big so I figure I need whatever imperial spanner is in-between??

(Good thing about cheap stuff is I'm not afraid to take it apart to learn how it works. ;) )

Ya gotta get yourslf some decent tools Andy.
A good socket set & a range of spanners.
Do the bolts up tight, then the nuts up tight. Back off the bolts until the washer JUST rotates. Lube it up & let us know how u went.
If the blades r warped. thats a different matter again.
Or perhaps the blades just need sharpening.;frosty;
Cheers Fred.

Andy B
16-02-2011, 08:27 AM
:laughing:

Yeah they're on the list, (my current set was an 18th birthday pressie!) as well as a new hedger, new pole hedger, new pole saw, mighty 15, a folding pruning saw and pouch, another blower, rover 22' sp, victa 550, a husky like gazza's and ramps, another tool box on trailer, 04 holden rodeo (dual cab), I think that should do it for now... oh and a winning lottery ticket. :)

Andy B
16-02-2011, 08:32 AM
6.5mm is pretty common

Not in my shed. :( couldn't find a 1/4 inch either... time for a new set.

danz
17-02-2011, 02:06 PM
I had the same problem as you are talking about with my pope 33 cc brushie (Big W special $148.00). Today I fixed it:thinking. On the carby there is a brass screw (flat not phillips) I screwed it out about quarter of a turn and looked to see that it was blowing a little bit of smoke when I revved it and Voila!! Brilliant, 100% better. I gave it a bit more juice and no more problem. It even sounds happier. I think that if a 2 stroke isn't blowing a bit of smoke there's something wrong. Try it :wave-hi:

G'day there Gcsmow i have looked over the carbie and pulled it to bits i could not find a brass screw? The only screw i could find was the 2 that hold the carbie on hmm maybe i better have another look.. It's not making any difference with the cold or hot weather Blue sorry for the late reply... i think i will just buy a new one i will have one more go at sussing it out tomorrow

courty
01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
My Pope John Paul the Hedger died today 3/4 of the way through a garden clean up.The bloody thing has been a start first pull machine since I've had it. He spluttered like a fuel problem then died and has refused to start since.

Redeye
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM
try communion wine

courty
01-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Haha I am but I'm not sure it will work on the hedger

Fred's mowing
01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Check the plug , then give it a squirt of Areostart, if it starts then dies, its fuel.
Cheers Fred.

gcsmow
01-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Fuel gauze could be blocked, have you got a spark?

ian
01-03-2011, 09:48 PM
My Pope John Paul the Hedger died today 3/4 of the way through a garden clean up.The bloody thing has been a start first pull machine since I've had it. He spluttered like a fuel problem then died and has refused to start since.
have you tried refilling it :)

gcsmow
01-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Sarcasm is anger's ugly cousin.

ian
02-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Sarcasm is anger's ugly cousin.

wasn't being sarcastic i always try to ask the obvious because it is amazing how often people overlook it including myself just the other day i was wondering what was wrong with my mower when it sputtered and died, yes it was out of petrol i had filled the other mower twice and hadn't filled mine i also remember a guy in a bike shop telling me about the person who brought a bike in for repair under warranty saying it was a useless piece of sh-t it had simply run out of petrol but he hadn't thought to refill because he could still see some fuel in the tank

courty
02-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Long live the Pope:laughing:
He just needed a bit of new spark in his life,back to his normal self again.

gcsmow
02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Yes, fair enough I have been there too, now you mention it. It's a bummer when that happens to a Diesel isn't it. :rolleyes:

wasn't being sarcastic i always try to ask the obvious because it is amazing how often people overlook it including myself just the other day i was wondering what was wrong with my mower when it sputtered and died, yes it was out of petrol i had filled the other mower twice and hadn't filled mine i also remember a guy in a bike shop telling me about the person who brought a bike in for repair under warranty saying it was a useless piece of sh-t it had simply run out of petrol but he hadn't thought to refill because he could still see some fuel in the tank

gcsmow
02-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Maybe you were blaspheming at it, you should have tried some holy water and a few hail marys. :laughing:

Long live the Pope:laughing:
He just needed a bit of new spark in his life,back to his normal self again.

kakegc
04-03-2011, 06:59 PM
My echo chainsaw wants to die after it comes back down to idle from full revs after cutting something. Which mixture screw should I adjust? If I screw the Low speed one out a bit will it prevent this?

http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm Hope this helps! ;)