PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie

Paul T
15-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi all,

New to all this. Joined today and will also have lots of stupid questions to ask!

Cheers,

Paul. :)

holdenhead
15-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Welcome!! We may have some stupid answers for you.
Cheers Rick

Paul T
15-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks Rick,

:)

RSM-Gazza
15-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Paul,

Welcome also,

I've been officially open for business since the end of August this year.
Love the career change and I'm very doing well, although it's the best spring to start ones self off on.

This forum along with my local mower shop has really help me to move forward at such a rapid rate.

All the best Paul and ask the questions, I asked many that I now look back as being. " Did I really ask THAT". But thats how you start learning and I'm still learning.

Cheers,

Paul T
15-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Paul,

Welcome also,

I've been officially open for business since the end of August this year.
Love the career change and I'm very doing well, although it's the best spring to start ones self off on.

This forum along with my local mower shop has really help me to move forward at such a rapid rate.

All the best Paul and ask the questions, I asked many that I now look back as being. " Did I really ask THAT". But thats how you start learning and I'm still learning.

Cheers,

Thanks Gazza,

I just turned 50 and was wondering what the hell I'm going to do for the next 15 years till retirement!

I have had a gutful of office jobs (if you are over 30 you are looked upon as a freak)! plus all the office politics and bull****.

Looked at courier work ..... been in transport before. No way!

I enjoy the outdoors and being my own master with nobody telling me what to do so I figured lawn mowing might be the answer.

I already have a near new Hilux Ute and enough spare cash to buy a decent trailer, mower and edger plus some extras.

Just need a confidence boost. This forum is certainly already helping with that!

Cheers,

PS, Is 50 really too old to be looking at starting a lawnmowing business ? I am relatively fit and plan to stay that way as long as possible.

Anyone else here that age group or older that is living the dream ??

geoff1969
15-12-2010, 08:35 PM
hey paul
got a question just ask sure some one will have the answer or point you in the right direction ... as for being 50 = its just another number ...

Paul T
15-12-2010, 08:42 PM
hey paul
got a question just ask sure some one will have the answer or point you in the right direction ... as for being 50 = its just another number ...

Thanks Geoff,

this is a really great forum. Bloody glad I joined.

I have the manual to look forward to reading. I'm sure it will answer a lot of my Qs along with the awesome help from this forum.

Cheers,

Paul.

South East Mowing
15-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Welcome aboard young fella!!:)

Just remember learn to WORK SMARTER, not harder and you can keep going for a long time.
2 years ago I picked up a handful of clients from a fella retiring - 73years of age I think and he was still jumping fences to unlock gates.:welcome

Thanks Gazza,

I just turned 50 and was wondering what the hell I'm going to do for the next 15 years till retirement!

I have had a gutful of office jobs (if you are over 30 you are looked upon as a freak)! plus all the office politics and bull****.

I enjoy the outdoors and being my own master with nobody telling me what to do so I figured lawn mowing might be the answer.

I already have a near new Hilux Ute and enough spare cash to buy a decent trailer, mower and edger plus some extras.

Just need a confidence boost. This forum is certainly already helping with that!

Cheers,

PS, Is 50 really too old to be looking at starting a lawnmowing business ? I am relatively fit and plan to stay that way as long as possible.

Paul T
15-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks John & Adam,

Much appreciate the advice. I am sure I have made the best career change known to man!

Paul :)

geoff
15-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Paul at 55 still going strong after 20 years and maybe another 20 left in me i would think....secret is pace yourself.....seen many come and go but pace your self to work comfortable and you will breeze it in,,,you have to love working hard though thats the Aussie spirit built years ago...need us old boys to keep it going because the young ones don't seem like to work these days lol//

RSM-Gazza
15-12-2010, 08:57 PM

Paul, I left a Snr mangement position under fluro lighting. I will never earn the same again, but thats not what it's all about for chaps like us.

I turned 52 last October and have lost 7 kgs by joining this free gym.
Plan, ask questions and things will progress forward in time.
I'm knocking back up to thirty new clients a week for the past month and need to pull the business back a little, all in such a short time. Although many things have come together for me, I've been lucky I guess.

Paul T
15-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Geoff & Garry,

This is sounding better by the minute. The fitness aspect is anothet great side benefit.

I really need to know the basics now. ie; Equipment choice, pricing, etc.

Can't wait to get started now!

Cheers,

Paul T
15-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Guys,

I registered for a ABN a few years ago and it was free. Now I see they want around $170
for an ABN ???

What is the go there ??

geoff1969
15-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Guys,

I registered for a ABN a few years ago and it was free. Now I see they want around $170
for an ABN ???

What is the go there ??

**** .... did mine online a few years ago think it was only about $80.00

RSM-Gazza
15-12-2010, 09:21 PM
ABN was free and the business name rego was $80 ish something.
Gym membership was free toooo!!

geoff1969
15-12-2010, 09:25 PM
ABN was free and the business name rego was $80 ish something.
Gym membership was free toooo!!

yep thats it gazza

Shepparton Lawn Care
15-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Welcome Paul T!. how many lawns are there to mow in Lismore? or are you going to travel out to Derinallum and Cressy as well. My Dad was born in Cressy, auntie lived in Lismore!-small world! there you go never thought i would see a member from down that neck of the woods!!. All the best Ask as many questions as you like especially on equipment- learn from all the mistakes we made when starting out!

BobC
15-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Hello PaulT and to all the more seasoned posters here.

I've just registered and got my manual from Dean today.

I'm a good deal older than you, in my 60's, and came out of early retirement to start a lawn mowing and gardening business last March. I too was worried about my fitness and I deliberately only took on a few jobs each day until I knew I was sure I could manage. I wouldn't change a thing.

When I started all I had was some pretty crappy domestic gear, but from day one I've been spending my earnings in buying new commercial quality equipment. Like the regulars here all tell you, good tools pay for themselves over and over again. I've gone from the old codger with a clapped out bent shaft whippy to the fit old codger with a straight shaft.
:newbie

I've tried to picky with the jobs and clients I work for and although I don't have a big customer base, they're all good ones. Rather than strive for a large customer base, I'm more focused on giving the customers I have the best quality work and service I'm provide.

Still much to learn and a lot of what I've learn't so far has been from the pearls of wisdom sprinkled through these forums. I must be one of the oldest apprentices in this business.

I'm based in the Pakenham, Victoria area and service the Pakenham and the surrounding area.

These forums are a goldmine, and I hope over time, I can contibute to them in a useful way.

Cheers,
Bob.

imoww
16-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Im 48. Worked for Railcorp, Govt , private security company workn my way to management. Bloody political issues strain the health like cancer. 1 year ago, i began my Lawn Mowing business. Never looked back. Like the old guys say.... work smart- Not like a slave.

Paul T
16-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Welcome Paul T!. how many lawns are there to mow in Lismore? or are you going to travel out to Derinallum and Cressy as well. My Dad was born in Cressy, auntie lived in Lismore!-small world! there you go never thought i would see a member from down that neck of the woods!!. All the best Ask as many questions as you like especially on equipment- learn from all the mistakes we made when starting out!

Hi!

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I am in a smallish town and may be limited. I plan to cover the area. Derinallum, Cressy, maybe even as far as Camperdown and Skipton etc.

Lovely part of the world eh ? Lake Tooliorook is now full again after years of being bone dry (like many down that way).

There are lots of pensioners that need handy man type jobs done and can't get tradies to do it. I might just scrape enough business.

I don't want to make a fortune. Just enough to cover my costs and living expenses which are minimal. Perhaps enough left over for a carton of beer and I'm happy! It's more a lifestyle change that I'm after than making money.

Cheers,

Paul T
16-12-2010, 11:30 AM
G'day Bob & Imow.

Thanks for the encouragement.! :)

Yes, I am planning on starting small and working into it. My next move is to start swatting up on what equipment to buy.

I'm looking around for a decent trailer. Any thoughts on trailer manufacturers in Melbourne??

Cheers,

Bluey
16-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Welcome Bob and Paul. good to see you boys come onboard. Don't worry about the age. I am 51 and work my offsider who is 10 yrs younger into the ground. You won't look back in this work as long as your prepared to have a go. Ask as many questions as you like. Better to ask then to stuff things up. That is what this forum is for.

Paul T
16-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Welcome Bob and Paul. good to see you boys come onboard. Don't worry about the age. I am 51 and work my offsider who is 10 yrs younger into the ground. You won't look back in this work as long as your prepared to have a go. Ask as many questions as you like. Better to ask then to stuff things up. That is what this forum is for.

Thanks Bluey!

Shall heed the advice.

Paul:)

The Local Gardener
16-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Thanks Gazza,

Cheers,

The dream is having great weather for a successful run, with time you will figure it out!

For the moment ask a million ????'s and good luck..

Paul T
17-12-2010, 03:29 PM
The dream is having great weather for a successful run, with time you will figure it out!

For the moment ask a million ????'s and good luck..

Thanks TLG,

Appreciate all the great advice and friendly support given.

Cheers,

cap
18-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Paul and Bob,

I'm fairly new to the business myself, been working part time for about 3 months plodding along picking up work here and there. After the new year I'll be be looking at new marketing strategies to hopefully increase the size and quality of my client base.

I've always loved gardening and mowing so i thought there's no better way to spend your working day doing what you enjoy and then get paid for it.

I wish both of you all the best in your new venture.

Paul T
18-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi Paul and Bob,

I'm fairly new to the business myself, been working part time for about 3 months plodding along picking up work here and there. After the new year I'll be be looking at new marketing strategies to hopefully increase the size and quality of my client base.

I've always loved gardening and mowing so i thought there's no better way to spend your working day doing what you enjoy and then get paid for it.

I wish both of you all the best in your new venture.

Thanks Cap,

Likewise. Where in NSW are you ? city or country?

I am a little bit limited with my potential market as I am located in a small country town in Vic. (there are many small towns close around me though, and a few larger ones within fairly easy reach).

Cheers,

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
18-12-2010, 04:59 PM
G'day Paul and Bob. Welcome aboard. I think you will find the first great business decision you have made is getting onto ILMCOA.

I had never done this for a living until about 18 months ago. With the help of Dean, the forums, the many people I have spoken to from ILMCOA and a lot of hard work have built up a pretty good business and improving it all the time. Which btw there are a few members I couldn't thank enough for the help they have given me.

Good luck with your ventures and don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how silly they might seem. A lot of people get into this business and don't last 12 months. It is hard to try and work it all out on your own.

cheers Glenn

Paul T
19-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks Glenn,

appreciate the welcome. Can't wait to make a start.

Arrgh! my membership pack arrived Friday arvo (I was out and they left the note on the door to pick it up from the local PO). Have to wait till Monday morning now! :O

Cheers,

Paul.

cap
19-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Thanks Cap,

Likewise. Where in NSW are you ? city or country?

I am a little bit limited with my potential market as I am located in a small country town in Vic. (there are many small towns close around me though, and a few larger ones within fairly easy reach).

Cheers,

I'm in Sydney. My wife and I were talking about making a move to another state, somewhere with a better quality of life. I've been in Sydney all my life but its just not a very safe place to raise kids anymore and its as expensive as hell too.

If I had it my way I'd like to live somewhere like South Australia. I've never been there but from what I've seen and heard its meant to be very nice, maybe one day, gee I'd miss my footy though :)

Paul T
19-12-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm in Sydney. My wife and I were talking about making a move to another state, somewhere with a better quality of life. I've been in Sydney all my life but its just not a very safe place to raise kids anymore and its as expensive as hell too.

If I had it my way I'd like to live somewhere like South Australia. I've never been there but from what I've seen and heard its meant to be very nice, maybe one day, gee I'd miss my footy though :)

Hi Cap,

I'm also from Sydney. Brought up on the northern beaches (Dee Why) then lived out west (Baulkham Hills) for 20+ years. Moved down to Victoria about 14 years ago when I met my partner. South Western district of Victoria. Great spot. Especially places around the Great Ocean Road Apollo Bay down through Warrnambool and Port Fairy. Stunning beaches and scenery.

Went back to Sydney several times since then and like Melbourne hated it. After living in a country town, I can't hack the city lifestyle any more.

Your right about Sydney being expensive. Rents and property prices are through the roof. Melbourne is slowly going the same way.

Cheers,

Paul.

geoff1969
19-12-2010, 04:48 PM
may be try using the ute as much as possible mate then buy yourself a 8x 5 for the ride on can then leave ride on at home and use trailer for the clean up jobs ,

Paul T
19-12-2010, 04:56 PM
may be try using the ute as much as possible mate then buy yourself a 8x 5 for the ride on can then leave ride on at home and use trailer for the clean up jobs ,

G'day Geoff,

Yes, was thinking of just using the ute tray for the time being. Just getting a decent push mower, edger and stuff and look at a trailer and ride on down the track as I (hopefully) find more work.

Now another Q's pops up. Push or Self Propelled ?

Cheers,

chevron
19-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Hi Paul T,

Fellow newbie here too, good luck with your new adventure mate. Just got the ute here too so far, I can see how useful a trailer will be though down the track.

I just bought a SP but would like to have a standard pushy aswell for the smaller stuff and they're a bit lighter to cart around, less moving parts the better etc.

Was reading through the manual earlier tonight, makes mention of lots of folks using the cylinder mowers in the WA region of the country.

Regards,

chevron.

Paul T
20-12-2010, 09:03 AM
G'day Chevron,

Thanks and same with yours. All the best with it.

Would be great if we could get away without a trailer and just use the ute eh ?

So you will just have the ute for now ? That's what I'll do for the first few months. Maybe look at trailer in the new year if it gets too much.

Off to the PO to pick up my members kit and check out my local mower shop!

Cheers,

Paul.

Andy B
20-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Welcome guys!

SP or push?? it's up to you, suss out your own fitness and what size lawns are in your area and how many you would like to do in a day. Push is cheaper...

Ute v's trailer... both, but you can work a decent mowing run without a trailer, it's clean ups that you really need a trailer for. I sold a trailer and operated for 3 or 4 months before I bought a new one and I drive a wagon. During that time I bagged everything up, took my equipment home and went back and took the greenwaste to the tip, so you can do it but it's a pita.

As for equipment there's a thread on here somewhere where people listed tools they carry, have a read of it, also see the packages Dean suggests. It comes down to personal preference and what specific work you'll be doing. I reckon at the very least get a decent mower, a decent brushie that won't let you down and from there you can decide if you want to sweep or buy a blower. :)

chevron
20-12-2010, 06:32 PM
G'day Chevron,

Thanks and same with yours. All the best with it.

Would be great if we could get away without a trailer and just use the ute eh ?

So you will just have the ute for now ? That's what I'll do for the first few months. Maybe look at trailer in the new year if it gets too much.

Off to the PO to pick up my members kit and check out my local mower shop!

Cheers,

Paul.

I'm going to stick with just the ute for now, no room to keep a trailer where I live as it is anyways, if I find that it's an absolute necessity perhaps it would be worth hiring a garage sized area from the local self storage places to store it at each night.

Will try and get away with it in the meantime, less hassle carting a trailer about everyday and they chew up the fuel too with all that extra weight.

How did you go down at the mower shop, come to any decisions yet?

Regards,

chevron

Paul T
20-12-2010, 06:46 PM
G'day Chevron,

Sounds like a good plan. I'm doing the same for now. The tray (if like yours) is a bit high but like you said, the expense of both buying, then carting a trailer round are a bit cost prohibitive. Guess I'll be better informed on my needs once I get started.

I'm also in the same boat regards room. Funny that. I thought about my local self storage hire to keep a trailer when I get one. I think it's around $50 p/week.

Well, I went to the mower shop and saw some awesome looking Honda's, Pro Scapes etc.

Still couldn't make up my mind till tonight. Got another post from a happy Chonda user so bit the bullet and bought a 21" SP Honda Clone from Ebay. (the AGR Machinery one).

I'll soon find out I guess! Hopefully it will do the job till I get more experience and also start to turn some cash flow from the business to look at upgrading to a real Honda and maybe a Ride-On down the track.

Need a decent brush cutter and blower next. Any thoughts ? What SP Mower did you get ?

Cheers,

Paul.

South East Mowing
20-12-2010, 07:45 PM
I have a ford with an 8ft x 6ft tray. Have ladder racks and fitted a roof rack on top. I have a tool box in it also.
I carry 3x whippy's and 1 x multi tool/hedge trimmer together with 2 x blowers, steppladder on top with a little room left over.
In tool box have chainsaw, hedge trimmer, multi tool/hedge trimmer, 3rd blower, rakes, brooms spares etc.
On rear tray have 3 honda 195's loaded with front wheels up against toolbox so it fits snug when closing rear and no need to tie down. Carry the catchers in tray, or on mower handles if tray needs to carry grass.
When needed I carry ramp + my 215 sp honda - side loading.
There is still room for rakes & tools at front ladder rack and room underneath tray if I need also.
If fully loaded I can carry all the above (less 215 s/p honda) and probably 10 bags grass if needed, even though I have only ever needed to do 3-4 at the most.
If you want I will get a pic and post it to give you a few ideas to start with!
Tray is high, 2 of us unload mowers or I use the ramp at times also.

Paul T
20-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks John & Adam,

That's what I really wanted to hear. I don't like trailers if I'm honest and thought I could manage without!! .....:)

I have front and rear bars also. I should be able to make use of them too.

Some pics would be great.

Cheers,

chevron
20-12-2010, 08:05 PM
G'day Chevron,

Sounds like a good plan. I'm doing the same for now. The tray (if like yours) is a bit high but like you said, the expense of both buying, then carting a trailer round are a bit cost prohibitive. Guess I'll be better informed on my needs once I get started.

I'm also in the same boat regards room. Funny that. I thought about my local self storage hire to keep a trailer when I get one. I think it's around $50 p/week.

Well, I went to the mower shop and saw some awesome looking Honda's, Pro Scapes etc.

Still couldn't make up my mind till tonight. Got another post from a happy Chonda user so bit the bullet and bought a 21" SP Honda Clone from Ebay. (the AGR Machinery one).

I'll soon find out I guess! Hopefully it will do the job till I get more experience and also start to turn some cash flow from the business to look at upgrading to a real Honda and maybe a Ride-On down the track.

Need a decent brush cutter and blower next. Any thoughts ? What SP Mower did you get ?

Cheers,

Paul.

Yes, I bought the AGR 21" SP too, quick delivery, can't comment on it either way, haven't started it yet, let alone put the oil etc in.

As for brushcutters, I'm still deciding between the Kawasaki 27 or 34 CC, leaning towards the 34 although a fair bit heavier(5.4kg for the 27cc, 7.2kg the 34cc) will have heaps more power.

Haven't used anything else but the Stihl BG85/6's blowers in the past which are fantastic, however have heard good reviews on the Echo range and they look to be a bit cheaper.

As for my ute tray it's not high at all, (lowered commodore ute) Fairly deep and spacious storage area even with the tonneau cover on too. Sounds like you have a trayback ute or similar?

Regards,

chevron.

Paul T
20-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Yes, I bought the AGR 21" SP too, quick delivery, can't comment on it either way, haven't started it yet, let alone put the oil etc in.

As for brushcutters, I'm still deciding between the Kawasaki 27 or 34 CC, leaning towards the 34 although a fair bit heavier(5.4kg for the 27cc, 7.2kg the 34cc) will have heaps more power.

Haven't used anything else but the Stihl BG85/6's blowers in the past which are fantastic, however have heard good reviews on the Echo range and they look to be a bit cheaper.

As for my ute tray it's not high at all, (lowered commodore ute) Fairly deep and spacious storage area even with the tonneau cover on too. Sounds like you have a trayback ute or similar?

Regards,

chevron.

Yep, I have a Toyota Hilux 1 tonner with the standard drop side aluminium tray.

A bit higher than I would like for loading a SP Mower. I'll work something out though.

Ah well, we have the same mower! I don't think I'll see mine till after Christmas. They are saying after 11th Jan. See what happens.

I will check out the blower and cutter too. What should I look at paying for the blower and cutter ?

Paul.

chevron
20-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, the mowers are very heavy, they loaded mine onto the ute down at the delivery yard with a forklift! A set of ramps for getting it on and off for jobs throughout the day if you're out on your own would be the go I reckon.

Mentioned blowers are around the $500, whippers around $600+ online, will check out a few mower shops this week and see if there's much of a difference. A shop up this way has the Echo blowers going for $300 on special at the moment I heard today.

Can't wait to get going, am thinking up some idea's for flyers at the moment.

Regards,

chevron

Paul T
20-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah, the mowers are very heavy, they loaded mine onto the ute down at the delivery yard with a forklift! A set of ramps for getting it on and off for jobs throughout the day if you're out on your own would be the go I reckon.

Mentioned blowers are around the $500, whippers around $600+ online, will check out a few mower shops this week and see if there's much of a difference. A shop up this way has the Echo blowers going for $300 on special at the moment I heard today.

Can't wait to get going, am thinking up some idea's for flyers at the moment.

Regards,

chevron

Yes, I checked out the Honda original in the mower shop. Heavy as buggery.

This model we have is the same weight from what I can see.

Thanks for the pricing info on the blower/cutter.

Also working on flyers and business cards. Really come to a dead end with my copy of Microsoft Word. I'm looking around for some pre designed stuff that I can plagerise!

I guess the local printers would be a good bet?

Cheers,

Paul.

courty
20-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Paul
I've only been going for six months or so,these days I switch between trailer & trailerless depending what I have on for the day but I would not be without a trailer as it widens the work you can take on (garden clean up's,rubbish removal etc).Find a box trailer and make some gates for it,when your starting out one rubbish removal job can turn a slow week into a good one,a couple of rubbish removals can turn a good week into a great one.

Paul T
20-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks Courty,

I will bare that in mind.

Yes, a trailer will be on my list. I think a Caged, 6x4 single axle and light as possible.

PS,

Love the Business Name and Theme! Superb!

Andy B
21-12-2010, 04:22 PM

Regards,

chevron.

Everyone is different but I reckon about 27cc is all you need for everyday use, remember 2-stroke stuff like to be used at least in the top range of it's revs if not full throttle. I did a clutch on my 34cc fiddling around doing edges etc with low revs. Get both when you can one for everyday stuff and the bigger one with horns for clean ups.

Stripes
21-12-2010, 04:52 PM
I love my 34CC kawa! If you get a few overgrown lawns it still has the power to cut through them easily, where the 27CC might struggle a bit.

The 48CC is a beast and has an unbelievable amount of power. I notice the difference in weight bigtime, but on the overgrown jungles it is just awesome. Slashing knee high grass it barely even drops in revs. Just obliterates anything it touches.

South East Mowing
21-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I have a ford with an 8ft x 6ft tray. Have ladder racks and fitted a roof rack on top. I have a tool box in it also.
I carry 3x whippy's and 1 x multi tool/hedge trimmer together with 2 x blowers, steppladder on top with a little room left over.
In tool box have chainsaw, hedge trimmer, multi tool/hedge trimmer, 3rd blower, rakes, brooms spares etc.
On rear tray have 3 honda 195's loaded with front wheels up against toolbox so it fits snug when closing rear and no need to tie down. Carry the catchers in tray, or on mower handles if tray needs to carry grass.
When needed I carry ramp + my 215 sp honda - side loading.
There is still room for rakes & tools at front ladder rack and room underneath tray if I need also.
If fully loaded I can carry all the above (less 215 s/p honda) and probably 10 bags grass if needed, even though I have only ever needed to do 3-4 at the most.
If you want I will get a pic and post it to give you a few ideas to start with!
Tray is high, 2 of us unload mowers or I use the ramp at times also.

Hope these pics give you a few ideas! I dont carry all these mowers at once, just 3 at back when 2 of us or 1 pushie & s/p honda when alone.

South East Mowing
21-12-2010, 08:51 PM
A few more! Hope this helps some! You will notice many chains and locks. EVERYTHING on the ute can be chained and locked!

Andy B
21-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Does your dog sit in the cabin with you John? :D

Paul T
21-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks John,

That looks great. I now have some ideas in mind.

I'm also concerned about security. Locks are a must. What exactly are you using for this? Heavy duty chains/bicycle locks ??

South East Mowing
21-12-2010, 09:46 PM
I use good quality locks and smaller lengths of thick chain together with 1 long length(apprx 4 mtrs) that I can put through 3 honda axles and chain to toolbox. I find by showing good chains people often dont worry about looking at the locks unless you are really being watched. It will unlikely be a mower, often blower, whippy etc that gets stolen.

South East Mowing
21-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Does your dog sit in the cabin with you John? :D

What do you think a 55-60kg Akita would look like sitting in the front Andy??:safety When he goes he is on the tray - use my mower ramp for him too!:dance

Paul T
21-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Does theft happen a lot from your experience?

I am loathe to leave anything in the ute, even for a second these days.

I have 2 rather expensive Kayaks that I cart round on the utes racks. I found some awesome lockable Tie Downs at Anaconda. SPT (or Kanulock as they are now called).

Wonder if they might come in useful?

http://kanulock.com/

South East Mowing
21-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Theft I think is very opportunistic! Leave it unlocked and it will happen. At home even if you have it locked keep it in a locked area - ie behind back gates, garage etc. A 60kg Akita helps with that at home too:laughing:
I have never had anything stolen as I am very aware and security conscious. It can be a pain top lock everything but a bigger pain if it gets stolen. Get locks all keyed alike- makes it easier. I have 3 different keys for about 10 locks.

Paul T
21-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Theft I think is very opportunistic! Leave it unlocked and it will happen. At home even if you have it locked keep it in a locked area - ie behind back gates, garage etc. A 60kg Akita helps with that at home too:laughing:
I have never had anything stolen as I am very aware and security conscious. It can be a pain top lock everything but a bigger pain if it gets stolen. Get locks all keyed alike- makes it easier. I have 3 different keys for about 10 locks.

Thanks John,

I will keep that in mind.

Your 'offsider' sounds a mean fella! I'm sure he will see them off!

:)

Big Block Services
21-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill... That set up looks scary... Must spend a lot of time tying everything up... and i just dont mean security wise... Has anything fallen off while your driving?

But its a gee up seeing all that gear. Im still new and seeing those pics makes me feel like loading up all my tools and having a look. Havent done that yet.

Beaj
21-12-2010, 11:11 PM
In the local mower shop here(Mower Superstore at Brendale) you can buy a cable about 3 meters long that has an alarm on it...if the cable is cut or the lock tampered with and screeching alarm goes off.....could be useful.

Brad

Paul T
22-12-2010, 09:10 AM
In the local mower shop here(Mower Superstore at Brendale) you can buy a cable about 3 meters long that has an alarm on it...if the cable is cut or the lock tampered with and screeching alarm goes off.....could be useful.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

I'll check that out.

Anjaryan
23-12-2010, 08:00 AM
A few more! Hope this helps some! You will notice many chains and locks. EVERYTHING on the ute can be chained and locked!

John ,

Can i see another pic of that ztr on the back too? :dance:dance

South East Mowing
23-12-2010, 08:47 AM
John ,

Can i see another pic of that ztr on the back too? :dance:dance

I have been called some things before, but SILLY does not usually get in there anywhere. I have a trailer with a fully width ramp for that!!!:magic