PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Manufacturer in Melbourne ?

Paul T
18-12-2010, 02:44 PM
G'day all,

I am looking around for a new trailer (prefer tandem axle with cage and ramp).

I am close to the Melbourne area. Anyone know who makes good custom mower trailers at a good price ?

Cheers,

Paul. :)

PS, What would I realistically be looking at paying for the above ?

Bluey
18-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi Paul

Don't rush into a new trailer unless you have too. There are pros and cons for tandem and single axle. Unless your carrying a lot of weight I reckon your better off going single axle. They are a lot more easy to move around when you have them off the vehicle. You need to really look at what you are going to be doing over the next 4 to 5 yrs. This will really impact on how you build your trailer. Have a look at existing trailers and pick everyone's brains before you make the leap. That's if you can. If you can't it may be better to get something mid range to get you by until you have a better design in mind.

Paul T
18-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi Paul

Don't rush into a new trailer unless you have too. There are pros and cons for tandem and single axle. Unless your carrying a lot of weight I reckon your better off going single axle. They are a lot more easy to move around when you have them off the vehicle. You need to really look at what you are going to be doing over the next 4 to 5 yrs. This will really impact on how you build your trailer. Have a look at existing trailers and pick everyone's brains before you make the leap. That's if you can. If you can't it may be better to get something mid range to get you by until you have a better design in mind.

Thanks Bluey,

What kind of $$$ should I expect to pay for a new (or used) mid range single axle one ?

I see lots of guys around with the dual axle and thought that must be the way to go. I see now, they could be heavy and a pain to move around off the vehicle.

Cheers,

Paul.

RSM-Gazza
18-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Paul,

When I requested 12 quotes for my trailer from canberra to Pakenham, sunshine, lalor, campbellfield,kilysth, lilydale, reservoir, shepparton, albury, wodonga etc.
Aust trailers in Mordiallic were the cheapest buy far and they are distributed through middle sellers afar, ie SMU in Pakenham.
Direct thorough the factory the tandem job I asked for was a further $350 cheaper than the nearest middle man for the same brand.

They trade under 3 or so names but John was the contact mailto:[mailto:sales@australiantrailers.com.au]. Some guys here have trailers from SMU that are the same trailer. They are a big boat trailer mob too. Their trailer look and seem to be Ok as I was very close to dealing with them.

In turn I got my local boys to build a tandem some $350 dearer in the end and that was a better proposition as I could see it getting built and make changes on the go and customer measure the tool box shelving on site.

Quotes varied from $4800 to $7500 for the same spec's. Plus many were just tooooo slack to even give a quote with follow up which worried me for a $5000 trailer which I further spec'ed up to $5900 in the end.
JUST make sure everything wanted re build, specs on steel, shelves, jockey wheel quality, etc, etc is written in the quote.

Earlier Photo
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/100_5079.jpg

ian
19-12-2010, 01:07 AM
something to look at
http://stores.ebay.com.au/SMU-Trailers
http://www.smutrailers.com
note same company just there site and ebay

AL73
19-12-2010, 05:36 AM
Great looking trailer Gazza. Very professional.

Cheers
Alex

RSM-Gazza
19-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks Alex, I'm as happy as can be with it, It has been customised and tinkered with heaps further since the photo's.

Paul,
When buying, a 8x5 is not a 8x5. It will be the slightly smaller metric size although be it very close. I had to stipilate exactly 8ft long in the green waste area to fit the ride on in.
Re the ramp you said you wanted. I choose not to do that for two mains.
First is that at the tip when removing green waste you will have to move the waste twice. Once out of the trailer and secondly off the folded down ramp. If loaded with soil/bark same story.

Other reason is I have continous sign writting across the fold down tale gate.
Also when carrying the ride on with it's rear grass deflector on. I have the OH&S safety of the tail gate secured & closed and the barn doors slightly ajar with yockey straps across the two doors. With the grass deflector off it all closes properly, but I get slack taking the deflector off for transit, like today.
I use the folding ramps, and they side on the trailer floor beside the ride on with no problems.

Earlier photo during fit out,

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/100_5036.jpg

Paul T
19-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Hi Gazza,

Many thanks for the great info. I will keep all that in my growing list of hints and tips. I will have enough to fill a book soon!

Cheers,

Paul.

PS, Yes, great looking rig you have there. Very professional. I reckon looking the part is a large part of getting plenty of business.

Andy B
20-12-2010, 12:02 PM
I got mine from SMU.

Here's a piccy the day I picked it up.

geoff1969
20-12-2010, 12:53 PM
I got mine from SMU.

Here's a piccy the day I picked it up.

shes a nice looking trailer that one andy

Andy B
20-12-2010, 01:02 PM
shes a nice looking trailer that one andy

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it though it needs a good clean and touch up after 9 months use.

Fred's mowing
20-12-2010, 09:03 PM
neighbour recently bought a trailer from Aust trailers in Mordialloc.....................not happy.
Cheers Dean.