PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Tools

Scooby Steve
18-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Today was not a good day, my stihl 130 multi tool got stolen with the whippersniper attachment on it from the back of my trailer around $1000 to replace. I pulled up to this job (one of my regs) and started brushcutting and when i put it back on the trailer i saw two of the neighbours out the front of there respective houses and i had a feeling that something wasn't right but i ignored my better judgement and put the multi-tool back in the trailer with the chain over it but no padlock on it because i was still using the blower which i chain the multi-tool to when i'm done. If your walking past you would have to peer into the trailer to see it but these two blokes both saw me put it there so i know one of them has taken it while i was around the back getting the blower. When i came back to my trailer both men were gone and so was the stihl. I knocked on both there doors and ask them did they take it (as if they would say yes)and if the did they could give it back no questions asked. Funnily enough both said that the other bloke must have took it and that they always thought he was dodgy.

If anyone drives down Blackmore st Dandenong North and sees a home owner using a 130 stihl let me know, it was stolen while i was parked outside number 12 and number 13 and i reckon you wouldn't have to venture far from there to find it i'm waiting to see which one has some nice edges from now on because both have never touch theres before we will see.

courty
18-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Thats not good at all scoob,get the coppers on to it mate.

South East Mowing
18-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Hey Scooby,

I would go to the police and report it. If you think they are possibly the culprits the police have to investigate it. Dont accuse them of it but say that those two fellas were the only ones around and may be able to help with enquiries!

South East Mowing
18-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I go past that all the time so will take a look occasionally. I'll go past sunday on my way to work.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
18-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Phuchinglowlifes. I'd go back in the misses car and just watch for a while. Never know the scumbags might try to offload it to someone. Cause bye the sounds of it wouldn't matter if they have the equipment or not it would be all too hard for them to do their own edges. :safety

South East Mowing
18-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Today was not a good day, my stihl 130 multi tool got stolen with the whippersniper attachment on it from the back of my trailer around $1000 to replace. I pulled up to this job (one of my regs) and started brushcutting and when i put it back on the trailer i saw two of the neighbours out the front of there respective houses and i had a feeling that something wasn't right but i ignored my better judgement and put the multi-tool back in the trailer with the chain over it but no padlock on it because i was still using the blower which i chain the multi-tool to when i'm done. If your walking past you would have to peer into the trailer to see it but these two blokes both saw me put it there so i know one of them has taken it while i was around the back getting the blower. When i came back to my trailer both men were gone and so was the stihl. I knocked on both there doors and ask them did they take it (as if they would say yes)and if the did they could give it back no questions asked. Funnily enough both said that the other bloke must have took it and that they always thought he was dodgy.

If anyone drives down Blackmore st Dandenong North and sees a home owner using a 130 stihl let me know, it was stolen while i was parked outside number 12 and number 13 and i reckon you wouldn't have to venture far from there to find it i'm waiting to see which one has some nice edges from now on because both have never touch theres before we will see.

If you need a loan whippy I have a newish Kaaz that is a spare. Just give me a buzz! John

Scooby Steve
18-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I was going to call the cops but with all the other stuff that goes on in Melbourne i doubt whether they would do much but you never know i guess. I must be getting old because normally i would have pushed the issue with the two guys but i really couldn't be stuffed fighting at Christmas time, hurts a bit when you work hard to provide for your family and yourself and these people just think its ok to pinch stuff, lucky i had a back up brushcutter with me or else i would have had to drive all the way home, i'm already behind because of the rain and extra growth. Drowning my sorrows at the minute with a nice cold beer at least they cant take that from me. I have told my customer to keep an eye out the next time the neighbours brushcut there lawns to see what sort of machine they would use. Lucky we have had a good spring or i would be piss*d off to say the least.

South East Mowing
18-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Scooby, you work hard enough and pay TAXES! Thats what they are there for.

Scooby Steve
18-12-2010, 05:56 PM
If you need a loan whippy I have a newish Kaaz that is a spare. Just give me a buzz! John

Nice of the offer John thank-you, but i'm lucky have 4 back up brushies, its the multi-tool thats going to hurt. My customers will understand they will just have to wait. What i'm not looking forward to is spending the $1000 again the machine was a year and a half old so i probably had that again before it was on the way out, ah well i'll have to trust my gut next time and if it seems dodgy it probably is. From memory its the first thing i have had stolen while working in 20 years so i haven't done bad really. I will check the trailer insurance to see if some of it will be covered but i doubt it.

Anyone know a good insurance policy/company for insuring tools every one i have looked at in the past has that many loopholes for them to dodge a claim i haven't bothered.

GreenHaven
18-12-2010, 06:13 PM
scum of the earth.

they will take anything not bolted down.

im looking at getting insurance myself for my gear but was thinking going through my ute insurance to see if i could get my tools as part of that and just pay more.

Scooby Steve
18-12-2010, 06:52 PM
scum of the earth.

they will take anything not bolted down.

im looking at getting insurance myself for my gear but was thinking going through my ute insurance to see if i could get my tools as part of that and just pay more.

Just read the fine print. When i read mine it just wasn't worth it for what they covered or didn't cover more to the point.

Does Indi have one?

Yes (i answered me own question) they do but i think it has to be locked or its not covered Admin can correct me if i'm wrong.

Stripes
18-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Sorry to hear what one of these scumbags did. Your blood must be boiling.

Before you buy a new machine, see if the other attachments fit onto the shaft of one of your back up whips. I had a Huski combi that died so I undid where the hedge trimmer attachment attaches to the shaft and took it to my mower shop to see if it would fit anything else and it fit a Kawasaki shaft, so I didnt have to buy another combi, just bought a smaller Kawa whip and use it as a pole hedger. It takes a little bit more to change over as you have to undo the alen key instead of the thing on the shaft, and you have to get it to line up over the shaft, but it might get you out of trouble for a while.

RSM-Gazza
18-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Scooby,

That really gives ones th S***s big time, as I have had a outboard motor stolen once and a further second break in to my then cabin cruiser whilst parked at a motel once.

I'm afraid Scooby you'll never forget it moving forward.
I'm now so theft minded, I've become padantic+ on the subject. Even have two camera's at the front of my house = plus my big shed is alarmed. All this and I live in a good area.
Real sorry to hear it mate. Ring the cops as said.

South East Mowing
18-12-2010, 07:10 PM
Scooby, I have a back up shindy multi with hedge trimmer also if you need it for a short while. Just keep it chained up:safety

Nice of the offer John thank-you, but i'm lucky have 4 back up brushies, its the multi-tool thats going to hurt. My customers will understand they will just have to wait. What i'm not looking forward to is spending the $1000 again the machine was a year and a half old so i probably had that again before it was on the way out, ah well i'll have to trust my gut next time and if it seems dodgy it probably is. From memory its the first thing i have had stolen while working in 20 years so i haven't done bad really. I will check the trailer insurance to see if some of it will be covered but i doubt it.

Anyone know a good insurance policy/company for insuring tools every one i have looked at in the past has that many loopholes for them to dodge a claim i haven't bothered.

Scooby Steve
18-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies and offers for support very good of you all. I should be ok John but i will keep the offer of your backup multi on the table just incase. I will buy a new one soon i've just got to get to the mowershop and make sure they have one in stock (my mowershop doesn't keep much in stock). I would rather be spending the money on fishing gear or a charter or something than spending it on another multi but what can you do.

Does everyone else have there stuff locked all the time? Overnight i do but i dont usually have it locked if i'm using the machines when i'm at the job.

starmow
18-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Scooby sorry for that,
you need check ebay and dandenog market, maybe they will try sell it.. and if you catch them then you cut them:chainsaw

Redeye
18-12-2010, 08:07 PM
make sure you report it to the cops, they will probably try & pawn it

63impala
18-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Who uses a 130 for restadela lawns that is way to much power overkill there scooby snax...Sorry to here about ur toy...

South East Mowing
18-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies and offers for support very good of you all. I should be ok John but i will keep the offer of your backup multi on the table just incase. I will buy a new one soon i've just got to get to the mowershop and make sure they have one in stock (my mowershop doesn't keep much in stock). I would rather be spending the money on fishing gear or a charter or something than spending it on another multi but what can you do.

Does everyone else have there stuff locked all the time? Overnight i do but i dont usually have it locked if i'm using the machines when i'm at the job.

I made the decision to either spend money on insurance or padlock everything with good locks & thick chains both at home & when working. Its a pain but its gotta be done. Adam looks at me sometimes as to say" why the hell you keep locking everything up, it takes so lone to get started and finish" but I know the consequences!

wombat
18-12-2010, 08:31 PM
sorry to hear about that Scoob.Everyone on here feels your pain I'm sure.
I was doing a vacant place today for the real estate, and the painters where inside.One,in particular kept asking about the different tools I was using. At first, I thought it was cool.But after a while I was getting suss. I kept locking and unlocking the tools.The wife kept saying I was paranoid! My trust level is not great(especially with painters..haven't met a good one yet!). It's sad, but there are some dead-set c@nts out there, who think nothing of f@cking you over.

Scooby Steve
18-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Scooby sorry for that,
you need check ebay and dandenog market, maybe they will try sell it.. and if you catch them then you cut them:chainsaw

Good tip starmow, if anyone goes on ebay alot its a stihl 130 multi tool that has the whippy attachment on it, keep a look out. Was just on a year old, its was a bastard to start after you fill it up (for some reason) but apart from that its was one of my favourite machines.

Anyone from a Stihl shop reading this call me with a good deal will ya thanks from Scooby.

Bugga
19-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Scooby Steve. Sorry to hear about your gear getting knocked off.

Seen an add on Ebay from someone who had their Toro mower & trailer stolen, at least the word gets out.

Do you have any serial numbers you can put up on here.

Get the police involved you just never know.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
19-12-2010, 06:43 AM

I have mine locked overnight and inbetween jobs but when im at the property i often have everything unlocked. I shouldnt but who wants to be locking and unlocking ll the time.

I had a guy once try to take my mower (well it was still running mind you) i picked up a botttle and was going to put it in the bin and this low life decides to start walking off with my machine and then rings the cops telling them i had punched him in the ear. When they rang me 2 hours latter i told them the story and the replie was glad the beep beep got some justice for a change.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
19-12-2010, 06:44 AM
oh and sorry to hear about your machine being nicked.

simo
19-12-2010, 07:45 AM
I`d make up some flyers with a discription of the machine mybe a photo ,post a reward say $50-300 for it`s recovery then drop them in every letter box in the imediate area and stuck on all the telegraph poles....Then hope it comes back so you can smack the mongrels who nicked it over the head with it..:boxer::boxer::boxer:

Bgs
19-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Sorry to hear that scooby low life @#$%$.

My Insurance AAMI covers tools but they have to be secure so would probably try weasel out of paying if it was not locked.

They are a great machine I have the 85, and recently also brought the 56 to use just for hedging, they are a residential machine but may be an option to get you going again as you have other brush cutters

geoff1969
19-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Sorry to hear that scooby low life @#$%$.

My Insurance AAMI covers tools but they have to be secure so would probably try weasel out of paying if it was not locked.

They are a great machine I have the 85, and recently also brought the 56 to use just for hedging, they are a residential machine but may be an option to get you going again as you have other brush cutters

simple machines gone get chain and padlock then cut the chain = bastards cut the chain see .... now pay up

big_ed92
19-12-2010, 01:39 PM
sorry to hear that scooby hope you find your whippy soon it wont end up at dandenong market as people dont have much cash there most probly cashies in knox or dandenong or he will flog it off to a mate but best bet is the guy will use it himself as he thinks hes scored a bargain and will now save a few$$$ doing his lawns himself

what i would do is door knock next door and ask if in the last few days have they herd a whippy at that property going and check the edges he wont be a pro at useing it look for broken trimmer line lieing round if its the same as you use BINGO if so kindly knock on the guys door and ask for your whippy back if he says he dosent know anything about it pull out your mobile and call the cops

Scooby Steve
19-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Scooby Steve. Sorry to hear about your gear getting knocked off.

Seen an add on Ebay from someone who had their Toro mower & trailer stolen, at least the word gets out.

Do you have any serial numbers you can put up on here.

Get the police involved you just never know.

I rang the cops not much they can do but its registered with them, i have the serial number i'll put it up if anyone comes across one. Its a full on commercial machine so any home owner using one would stand out thats for sure.

Bluey
20-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Bad news Scooby. I know how you feel having been there done that. The hardest part is the fact you keep kicking yourself for not doing what you should have. I am super over security conscious now. It pisses my offsider off because I look everything up if I leave it on the street but he doesn't have to pay for the replacements. Try the pubs on a friday or Saturday night.

cap
20-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune mate, maybe a covert stakeout from up the road may catch the mongrels red handed.

Wggc
21-12-2010, 04:32 PM
my trailer is fully enclosed so u cant see whats in it & has heavy duty locks, normally do the backs n take gear in with me so im in eyesight of the trailer doing the front. never take chances , had some guys sussing out my pruner chained on top of the trailer once , when they saw me with half a house brick ready to throw they took off !!

PaulG
19-09-2014, 11:11 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west/tradies-urged-to-secure-vehicles-after-57000-worth-of-tools-stolen-from-moonee-valley-in-the-past-three-months/story-fngnvmj7-1227007414160

courty
19-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Has been a spike around here lately to according to our neighborhood watch report.

PaulG
20-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Yep. A chippy here had his entire trailer stolen from a jobsite last week. He was away and his apprentice had been using it at the job. Don't know if it didn't get locked up or what but it sounded a bit sus in the news story.

BSD
20-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Castle hill area sydaney has had reports of many lawnies stuff being knocked off.

imoww
20-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Bloody thieving bastards who steel things.
Last week, some scum bag stole my $3 rake from bunnings??? (the small black ones).
Its only a cheapie but when its missing you think. Oh great. got to get another one before is start work.
They will steel anything at all if its not bolted down.
A few weeks ago, they stole the handle off the trailer's hitch. Just snapped the bloody thing off.... Lucky the chain and padlock stopped them from tacking the trailer.
As Alfred said in The Dark knight... "Some people commit crime for no reason...they just want to see the world burn down!"

NLALM
20-09-2014, 02:04 PM
People who steal the tools that another man makes his living with are low down dogs, even if it is a three dollar rake.I remember having a brand new Honda knocked off out of the back of my ute, while I was working, I couldn't even finish the lawn.....farken scumbags

Stripes
29-09-2014, 08:35 PM
My plumber neighbour had 30k of tools stolen a few weeks ago in Baulkham Hills. It happened during a night when it rained very heavy. The Police said they target nights like that because the noise of the rain on metal roofs etc, blocks out their sound when breaking in to utes/sheds whatever, and dogs might be kept inside. People and dogs don't hear the noise because of the rain.

m287j
29-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Castle hill area sydaney has had reports of many lawnies stuff being knocked off.

Tell me about it, three weeks ago I had thousands of dollars of gear stolen out of my ute canopy at home.

imoww
19-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Some time earlier today.... Sum scambag stole my 20ltr Petrol container off the the trailer in Moss vale???? WTF???
It was half full ....

BSD
19-12-2014, 08:23 PM
A$$HOLES, your lucky that's all they took.

seliment
19-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Some time earlier today.... Sum scambag stole my 20ltr Petrol container off the the trailer in Moss vale???? WTF???
It was half full ....

You need one for them to steal that is booby trapped with sugar.....
Just don't forget yourself or have it borrowed by a neighbour ...
That happened on sisters farm when they were having petrol pinched by 'passers by'. Neighbour ran out fuel and came and grabbed can (he was welcome to help himself as they were on good friends/neighbours but didn't realize he had picked up the 'spiked' can .....