PDA

View Full Version : Ute trailer only

Paul T
20-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Guys,

For the time being I have decided to put the trailer purchase on hold and just work from the ute's tray.

I have just purchased a rather heavy 21" SP mower.

What methods have you found work best for loading and unloading a heavy'ish SP mower from a standard height ute tray ? It's a Toyota Hilux standard drop side tray.

Maybe I'll just manhandle it on and off, but I aint getting any younger!!

Ramps ??

Paul

cap
20-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Paul I work out of a Hilux as well and when I'm not using the trailer I have to physically lift my mower off every time and its bloody heavy. Ive only got the 19" Honda and thats heavy enough so I definitely wouldn't reccommend doing it with anything bigger.

Some sort of ramp setup would be the go.

Paul T
20-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks Cap,

Looks like ramps or a modest cage trailer then.!

Eeek!

Stripes
20-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Grab a pair of aluminium ramps off ebay. They are light, fold up and only take a few seconds to throw on the ute. You only have one back! You will find a lot of other uses for them too. Spreading mulch or soil where you have to go up stairs? Throw the ramps on.

This is just one, but there are heaps on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-Aluminium-Folding-Ramps-Heavy-Duty-load-750lbs-p-ramp-/110624213919?pt=AU_HeavyMachineryParts&hash=item19c1b78b9f#ht_2252wt_698

Paul T
20-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks Stripes!

Paul :)

Paul T
20-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Just bought a set!!

Anjaryan
20-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Good choice Paul.

The longer the day the heavier the mower will get too.

8 + lawns in a day thats 16+ lifts, and they are awkward.

Paul T
20-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Stripes & Anjayan,

The specs say 750kg per ramp. Is that a green light to drive a 1500kg Ride-On up the ramps ?

:)

Anjaryan
20-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Stripes & Anjayan,

The specs say 750kg per ramp. Is that a green light to drive a 1500kg Ride-On up the ramps ?

Nah .. you will find you only use the ride on occasionally so just lift it:smileydevil:smileydevil

Seriously you would need to take your weight into account, and how big your kahoonas are at the time.:death

Paul T
20-12-2010, 09:21 PM
What does the average ride on weigh anyway ?

Andy B
21-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Not a ton and a half, I bench press one fifty times before breakfast. :laughing:

Paul T
21-12-2010, 04:18 PM
:) :) !!

Guess I'll find out soon Andy! God help me, I think I've eaten one too many donuts! :)

NLALM
21-12-2010, 05:49 PM
If you had a ride on that weighed more than 1500kgs you would have a bloody big machine. As for lifting mowers anyone who does this is mad its like the guys who push mowers around all day. You have to work smarter not harder. Yeah I know some guys will say I only do small lawns well the smallest I do with the honda self propelled is about 6 foot by 8 foot you cant get much smaller than that

Paul T
21-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi Mark,

When I looked at the Honda SP 21" in the shop, my immediate thoughts were that maybe it is to big and unweildly (is that the word)? for small gardens. I guess that just comes from years of pushing a small domestic Victa though.

Sounds like a very versatile machine. I just ordered one (a Chonda copy though) and a set of alloy ramps to get it on and off my Hilux Ute.

I saw a contractor working today with that exact same setup. The Hilux, Honda SP and alloy fold up ramps. He had no trailer. He was also mowing a small yard. I was tempted to stop and have a chat but he looked like he was in a rush.

NLALM
21-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Paul let us know how the mower goes when you get it. Run it for a day then up the revs and all should be good. Do stop and have a yarn to guys I don't mind sharing ideas with guys and its good to talk with other guys in the industry.

Paul T
21-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi Mark.

I heard a few good reports on this particular Ebay Honda so I'm hoping it is of reasonable quality.

Will certainly post a review for the benefit of other potential buyers.

Once I'm up and running and hopefully making income, I will look at upgrading to the Honda. I think this will make a great backup machine anyway.

Yes, I was going to have a chat and ask a few Qs. This bloke looked like he was flat out though. Good luck to him! :)

Hmm, it was slashing down rain too. The Honda was coping well with the deluge.

Redeye
21-12-2010, 07:01 PM
good move with the ramps, I used to lift mine on/off, stuffed my knee & spent 3 months on crutches. Re the future honda purchase, save your money & get a commercial proscape.