PDA

View Full Version : Oh no another newbie

Big Block Services
21-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Hi all,

Great site Dean, and what a great forum thanks to everyone.

Ive been reading these forums non-stop for the past 2-3months (from the begining) a massive wealth of info. Missus given me a mouthfull about carrying around the laptop everwhere and just reading and talking about grass. Cant get enough.

Ok put my cards on the table.

Ive been a plasterer for the last 18 years. Run my own biz for the last 10 or so years Good times bad times. Last year was the worst. GFC hit in 2009 didnt feel it (actualy one of my best). 2010 started slow as expected and went down from there turned to s**t. Worst part about it was letting guys go who had been with me for a long time and I know have families and commitments. That was the hardest, I kept guys on for as long as i could doing nothing. Last 5 years was focused on commercial work (office fitouts/partitions) and i liked it, quick big jobs, in and out and get paid. Least amount of headaches, still did residential but didnt like it all that much.

Ive decided to start in this industry and intend not to have any permanent guys with me. Owner operator and maybe 1 or 2 casuals when needed or even sub-out certain types of work.

I would like to focus on large lawns/acreage, straight cuts, snip and edge. I think by focusing on this type of work I could slowly on the odd job, here and there learn the gardening side of things. Terrible with plant names and what to do when, Zero knowledge. But i can lay paving, spary concrete stencil and texture finishes and seleants. Bricklay and concrete (within limits). Very good on the tools, very poor on the plants.

Bought a Toro G3 zero back in late July 2009 (tax invoice says 30/06/09 was hard to get the dealer to do this) for my old man. Only got 22hrs since then. So I want to get some money back from this beast hence acreage, also recently located to the foothills of the Blue Mountains (Penrith area) and i guess this gives me easy access to my target clientelle.

Also got a smaller old Bolens 36inch ride on for those harder to access properties.

Vehicles
Earlier this year i sold 1 truck and 2 utes, however what i have left is:
2 ton Dyna Tipper Dual Cab
1 ton BA ute
8x5 trailer high sides and very high 2.6m custom built cage (used it for removing rubbish from office demolitions) could wheel it right in front of the office building doors when they dont have a dock area for the truck.

I have a few ideas on how to approach my target customers but thats from a plastering/gyprock background. I would like advise from you guys the proffesionals in the industry on how to go about targeting these specific customers.

I guessed I wrote to much bored everyone to death with this long post. :safety:

Zak
Big Block Services

Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is nothing.

Bugga
21-12-2010, 06:30 PM
G`day Zac
From one Newbie to another,welcome.
You are right plenty of good info on the forum & Deans book.
If you dont know just ask plenty of experience from all the members on site.
Hope you do well
Ian

Paul T
21-12-2010, 08:02 PM
G'day Zac,

I'm just starting up too. I have a mate who is a plasterer. He reckons things are quiet. That's down in Melbourne.

You should do well with your pre existing business knowledge and dealing with customers etc.

Know Penrith well. Ex Sydney boy myself. (Baulkham Hills) now living in Victoria.

Used to have many a beer in the Penrith RSL, Panthers and Emu Plains Sports Club.

Good luck in your new adventure.

Cheers,

Paul.

Go Panthers! ..... Wash my mouth out.. I'm actually a Manly supporter!!! :) :)

Big Block Services
21-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks Guys,

Very eager to get into it, hopefully first job by early next year.
I plan to get signwriting on the vehicles/trailer soon, build a website.
Google Earth large properties in the surrounding area, and send them letters and the card fridge magnet idea i got from other posts on this forum.

I wonder if walking into real estate agents and strata/property manager offices directly and speaking with them would work in this game? Maybe have a folder prepared to show property managers with pictures of jobs and description of services along with OH&S tickets/licenses (not sure if dry-wall systems trade licence, working at heights, working in confined spaces would be relevant), Certificate of currency, work method statements etc and give them a card.

Would love to get some council work on the large parks and feilds but have no idea where to start. Maybe council do these in house.

Paul, not the panthers.....unfortunatly i back the eels......
Strange how supporters are reluctant to switch teams but players easily do....