PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing a replacement tree

PaulG
23-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Gday guys and girls

I haven't been around for a while but I'm back with a question for anyone who can help.

I'm quoting on a substantial job at present and part of it will require removing the paperbark pictured. It's full of borers and is developing splits in the trunk an a couple of places.

An arborist friend of mine will be removing it and grinding the stump.

My customer has requested a new tree be planted.

Her requirements are:

A tree with impact and street appeal
Height to 7 - 8 metres
Evergreen
Must not drop too many leaves or spent flowers/seeds

Any suggestions?

Bluey
23-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Jeez....big ask mate....just about every tree I know drops something at sometime each year. :confused:

Mrs HMS
23-12-2010, 09:18 PM
hmmm...the perfect tree! No such thing but what about

Hymenosporum flavum (Native Frangipani) or one of the Grevillea's

PaulG
23-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah "big ask/perfect tree" was what I thought when she mentioned what she wanted.

She's not too fond of grevilleas or callistemons but I like your idea Mrs HMS about the Native Frangipani. Right height, nice dark leaves, only flowers for 6 - 8 weeks or so in Spring and is frost tolerant which is good for Toowoomba...
Now to find a nursery in South East Queensland that has some at an advanced stage ready for planting.

Still finalising my quote for the job but I think I've got it anyway as she's already asked me to go ahead with a few things. Going to be a big earner this one for me and I need it!

8 mature cycas revolutas to go into the garden bed nearest the house. Everything in it now is coming out. That one alone is worth around $1500 -$1800 planted out.

Bgs
23-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Now to find a nursery in South East Queensland that has some at an advanced stage ready for planting.

Its a long way from you but Nielsons Native Nursery would have them

PaulG
23-12-2010, 09:53 PM
^ Actually thanks for the reminder. I've bought from Neilsons in the past. Depending on freight over Christmas/New Year I may have to drive up to Burpengary to Plantation 2000 nursery to collect the Cycads so I could do that in the same trip if necessary. Big trip but doable.

Back to Basics
24-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Any of the Syzygium family would be perfect. The Cascade has a beautiful new pink growth, or the Australe has a lovely red fruit.

Any of these are hardy and growth between 3 - 8m. You should also look at the Jambos or Waterhousia.

If all else fails speak to your council as they will give recommendations as to what is suited to your area. If you are paying for a mature tree to start with you do not want it to die.

As an ex landscaper these would be my recommendations.

PaulG
24-12-2010, 05:18 PM
I've got a couple Syzygiums going in the back yard but not a bad idea either for the front yard! Cheers.