PDA

View Full Version : GXV 160 won't stop

RSM-Gazza
29-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Early tomorrow I'll have to fix this small prob.

I only did two jobs today as I'm still in partial festive mode. But at the conclusion of the second job the Masport with the pictured throttle control decided not to stop. Unless I turned the fuel tank off. It idled down to almost stop but not quite enough.

Three months ago I did adjust the linkage at the motor to take up slack between the choke function and full throttle buy sliding the cable mariginally at the Phillips screw clamp (pictured).
Before I do further minor adjustments at cable linkage to the motor, I thought I should tap into the knowledge base and save doing unneccessary adjustments that can compound further with idle/throttle and choke settings.
Although everything is running fine apart from the motor not stopping, which I know is linkage related.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/100_5347.jpg
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/100_5351.jpg

Thanks in advance.

geoff1969
29-12-2010, 05:09 PM
hey gazza my old rover did that = just have to keep going and mow more lawns ..hahaha
nar check up in the controler it self some time the cable / wire straightens out and slips on the handle part if its out of shape just bend a new hook into it with long nose pliers , see how it turns out ..
cheer

geoff1969
29-12-2010, 05:34 PM
just thought gazza on top of the carbys on some mower thay have an earth switch when cable is moved open and closes the butter fly in carby the switch is on top of carby where cable conects make sure all wires are atached = usualy 1 only black wire , you may have a faulty switch if cable is fine and operatating the switch .
.... umm hope you understand what im on about ....
cheers

Stripes
29-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Try adjusting the same screw again to adjust the cable and have a little play until you find the balance between the machine stopping when it should and still giving you full revs.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
29-12-2010, 06:01 PM
you didnt adjust it to much so that the lever isnt coming back far enough i did that with one of my hondas and all i used to do was bend down and push it the last bit.

RSM-Gazza
29-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll will reference your suggestions tomorrow morning starting with Stripes+TLLG's suggestion first as that was going to be my first step. Geoff I'm hoping not to go that far to solve the problem, as its basically new equip since July this year. But if I have to then I will take a look at that.
Also I don't fold the handle fully over for transit, only vertically up.
As the SP530 sits in front of the mentioned mower in the front mower compartment so it multiple cabled handle never folds.

Thanks again,

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
29-12-2010, 07:26 PM
If its only that young i would take it to the dealer and say fix it.

RSM-Gazza
29-12-2010, 07:41 PM
If its only that young i would take it to the dealer and say fix it.

I'll do the simple adjustment try tomorrow and if that fails. Then off to the dealer, as I know they will attend to it whilst I wait as per normal.

Bugga
29-12-2010, 08:20 PM
RSM Gazza

I have a Masport with Chonda motor done the same thing.

At the end of the accelotator cable is a striker plate that pushes the button on the black electrical box.

If you start the mower & push the button on the black electrical box that should stop the engine.

If the engine stops it is the adjustment you need to make.

If the engine does not stop as in my case it turned out to have moisture & corrosion in the bolt holding the black box to the bracket as well as corrosion in the lead connector running up to the engine.

With all the wet weather & wet grass this could be your problem

Hope this helps

Ian

ian
29-12-2010, 08:21 PM
gary shouldn't the clamp be grabing the black outer casing not the actual wire i know this is how it is setup on my hondas

simo
29-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Also give the cable a lube and the surrounding linkages , wd40 or similar.........

RSM-Gazza
29-12-2010, 08:38 PM
gary shouldn't the clamp be grabing the black outer casing not the actual wire i know this is how it is setup on my hondas

Just went outside and opened up the mower box and checked it with a torch. After reading your post and blowing up the orig photo.
Good pick up, you are 100% correct, it has slipped off the casing. I never really got that far in checking it out as I thought a good look tomorrow and along with some advice here and see were I go with it.
Yep will lightly lubricate the cable at the same time too.

gcsmow
29-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Inox or bolt-off is way better than WD 40. I.M.O.

Also give the cable a lube and the surrounding linkages , wd40 or similar.........

Bluey
30-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Inox is the best.

gcsmow
31-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Sure is, I always carry a tin of it with me.

Andy B
31-12-2010, 02:43 PM
RSM Gazza

I have a Masport with Chonda motor done the same thing.

At the end of the accelotator cable is a striker plate that pushes the button on the black electrical box.

If you start the mower & push the button on the black electrical box that should stop the engine.

If the engine stops it is the adjustment you need to make.

If the engine does not stop as in my case it turned out to have moisture & corrosion in the bolt holding the black box to the bracket as well as corrosion in the lead connector running up to the engine.

With all the wet weather & wet grass this could be your problem

Hope this helps

Ian

I had a faulty one of these and the opposite problem engine wouldn't start, check that little button is out to go and pushed in to stop.