PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Carbies

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
10-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Last week spent a day doing lawns that are more like dust bowls and my 217 started choking. Changed the air filters but still running like rubbish. Figured I will drain the fuel bowl. But need to know the best way to clean the carbie, without taking it of the mower as I don't wont to be wasting too much time. I have heard about blowing it out with compressed air but where do you blow it into? Or can you do something like a reverse flush?

Any advice would be much apreciated.

geoff1969
11-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Last week spent a day doing lawns that are more like dust bowls and my 217 started choking. Changed the air filters but still running like rubbish. Figured I will drain the fuel bowl. But need to know the best way to clean the carbie, without taking it of the mower as I don't wont to be wasting too much time. I have heard about blowing it out with compressed air but where do you blow it into? Or can you do something like a reverse flush?

Any advice would be much apreciated.

no sure about compresed air but i find its best to get the piston top dead center = stops the dirt and **** getting in passed the valves then tip the mower on its side a bit so carby is facing down and just spary a good amount of carby cleaner in there do this 2 or 3 times with about 5 minutes between each spray out = with mower on its side dirt and crap just runs out . then put some fuel additives {carby cleaner fuel system cleaner } in the fuel tank and look for a nasty lawn so it real has to work , ive found this in the pass to work well .. a lot of carbys have little tiny holes in the main venturi about as round as a the thickness of a paper clip and compresed air if thay are a bit blocked up using compresed air straight could compact dirt and crap in tighter .... try flushing them first ...

hope this helps ya ...cheers

GreenHaven
12-01-2011, 04:03 PM
remove the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carby by undoing the 10mm bolt in the centre underneath there is another 10mm screw on the side for removing water build up but you want to remove the entire bowl once that is off you can see where the bowl screws into the carby housing look into where the screw screws into and the main jets is in there get correct size flat head screw driver and un screw the main jet out of the carby housing carefully as its made of brass and damges easy once its out spray some carby cleaner through the jet and up the carby a little and put it back together. spraying carby cleaner in the air intake wont do anything but clean it a little and proberly losen up some soot on the piston top blacking your oil.

GreenHaven
13-01-2011, 10:36 PM
just remized you will need to remove the carby on the rotary mowers ive only done it on my cylinder mower and edger but its only 2 nuts and a 7 dollar gasket

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Thanks geoff and Greenhaven. Looks like I will need to take the carbie off though. bugger. Give it a proper clean. The fuel tank is full of crap as well so will drain and blow out with compress air.

Not sure how I ended up with so much dust in the tank but there is obviously no point continuing with cleaning the carbie while so much rubbish is flowing back in.

Thanks again for your help.

gcsmow
17-01-2011, 10:09 PM
At risk of sounding like a broken record. Get a filter funnel and filter every drop of fuel you put in your machine. I use one and haven't had any fuel related problems with my mowers or snippers in nearly 5 years. Very simple - stop the crap getting in there in the first place and you don't have to worry about the problems it causes or cleaning it out. Next time you empty your fuel container have a look at what is floating around on the bottom of it. Also check you fuel cap breather it might be letting dust in through the cap.

gcsmow
17-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Oh and by the way, I would love to trade you some dry weather for our torrential rain up here in N.Q. I miss the dry season.

Andy B
18-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Oh and by the way, I would love to trade you some dry weather for our torrential rain up here in N.Q. I miss the dry season.

It'll come with a healthy dose of black dust up your nose, if you still want it. :)

gcsmow
18-01-2011, 04:38 PM
How about white powder instead ?
It'll come with a healthy dose of black dust up your nose, if you still want it. :)

Bluey
18-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Now who would want to put caustic soda up their nose....????

gcsmow
18-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I know it has a lot of street names but that's the first time I've ever heard it called that!!!

Bluey
18-01-2011, 05:16 PM
I know it has a lot of street names but that's the first time I've ever heard it called that!!!

Lol....bang goes my weird sense of humor...it is probably made out of it. Everything these fools stick up their nose or into their veins is normally made out of something extremely toxic to humans. Or their dogs for that matter

gcsmow
18-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Yep too right. It's terrible when normal decent people get hooked on the stuff, turns them in to scum. I'm watching it happen to a good mate of mine, he's a totally different person now. So sad.

Weren't we talking about carbys?

Andy B
18-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Yep too right. It's terrible when normal decent people get hooked on the stuff, turns them in to scum. I'm watching it happen to a good mate of mine, he's a totally different person now. So sad.

Weren't we talking about carbys?

That's probably what it should be used for. :)

stptow
07-02-2011, 07:36 PM
inline fuel filters are good too

ian
07-02-2011, 07:55 PM
inline fuel filters are good too

but that probably only works if your smoking it not snorting it