PDA

View Full Version : Turfing Question

cap
10-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of doing a quote for a smallish turfing job, 32 sq/m. Due to minimal experience in this area I was wondering whether to use a turf underlay or just a screened top soil as my bedding. The turf underlay also comes in a soil/sand ratio of 80/20 and 60/40 so I'm not sure which one of those would be better for this application.

Thanks in advance.

Shepparton Lawn Care
11-01-2011, 05:53 AM
what is the soil profile? (underneath your intended bedding sand/soil mix)

cap
11-01-2011, 02:37 PM
It's predominentely clay around this area and the ground is on a very slight grade.

I was thinking the 60/40 underlay as it would provide better drainage. Too much soil content and it would stay waterlogged especially in clay.

Am I assuming correctly? :)

Mick
11-01-2011, 02:44 PM
It's predominentely clay around this area and the ground is on a very slight grade.

I was thinking the 60/40 underlay as it would provide better drainage. Too much soil content and it would stay waterlogged especially in clay.

Am I assuming correctly? :)

That is precisely what I was thinking! Im a fan of sand!

ian
11-01-2011, 06:13 PM

i agree i would also look at adding gypsum before the turf underlay

Fred's mowing
11-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Also, lay it in a brick pattern, use a sharp spade to cut it & if it needs to be adjusted, do it with a garden fork.
When I was taught to lay turf, if u were caught on your knees:whipit. There's just no need!
My boss at the time could lay as quick as the 3 other guys could deliver it. They would deliver & roll it out, he would adjust & cut it.
For mine, by far the biggest consideration shuld be the prep & LEVELLING of the soil. ALL LAWNIES KNOW THIS!:law.
Cheers Dean.

GreenHaven
11-01-2011, 08:10 PM

you would love perth then all we have is sand. And the water just runs right over the top of it

DavidS
11-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Usually when they talk sand soil ratios, an 80/20 is 80% sand and 20% soil. I would be using this one for a layer, plus water well evening before laying. Spread starter fertiliser with water crystals before laying. Most important part is butt the edges together, no overlay as you will scalp when mowing later. Also as stated before use the brick pattern when laying, also lay it across a slope not down a slope. If you are going to lay a lot of turf buy a set of long handle edge shears, makes cutting in so easy and lots quicker and easier than a spade. If you are going to use a spade, put into a vise and use an angle grinder to put a really good edge on it, makes cutting easier and cleaner.

Mick
11-01-2011, 10:09 PM
you would love perth then all we have is sand. And the water just runs right over the top of it

At least it dosnt turn to mud! Can be a nightmare laying turf in any sort of rain if laying on soil.

Way I was taught was you sort of lift edges of turf, put together and push down making it flat but a very tight join. You do not want any gaps. Just pushing rolls together was frowned upon!
Stagger the rolls filling in main area then do a header around the out side so you have a nice clean edge. Much like paving!
We used cane knives and machete's to cut the turf. Cane knives were best!

We would level area, roll, throw some fert down, lay, water well then roll again. Used to come up a treat. Did 1000's m2 like that back in the day!

cap
11-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys its much appreciated.

I've submitted the quote so its all in the hands of the client now.