PDA

View Full Version : Kikuyu control

wceagles1
14-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Hello

I have an issue at the moment due to the weather providing perfect growing conditions ie Rain and Humidity(Thankfully no floods up here on the NSW/QLD border at the moment) in that you mow a lawn ,looks great however 3 to 5 days later kikuyu is growing thru the couch up around your ancles.

How can this be fixed

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
14-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Are you saying Kik is invading another grass (couch) or the couch is Kik. ?

Just reread your post. What type of couch?

Andy B
15-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Weed n' feed??? it harms the kikuyu but check it won't harm the couch or as I like to spell it coooch. :D

wceagles1
15-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Are you saying Kik is invading another grass (couch) or the couch is Kik. ?

Just reread your post. What type of couch?

Qld Blue and i have i am trying to upload a photo.

Problem is 5 days after mowing this Kikuyu is around your ancles,client complains that we are not cutting the lawn short enough.

Spoke to Norco Rural today and chemical to control is $239 per 100ml.

Client wont pay this as in there opion i am not cutting it short enough and the Qld Blue is suffering as a result

wceagles1
15-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Weed n' feed??? it harms the kikuyu but check it won't harm the couch or as I like to spell it coooch. :D

Thanks for the reply,do the weed and feeds work as use Kamba and Sempra(very expensive) for Turf weed control and the Weed and Feed packs may be abetter option

ian
15-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Qld Blue and i have i am trying to upload a photo.

Problem is 5 days after mowing this Kikuyu is around your ancles,client complains that we are not cutting the lawn short enough.

Spoke to Norco Rural today and chemical to control is $239 per 100ml.

Client wont pay this as in there opion i am not cutting it short enough and the Qld Blue is suffering as a result

time to find a new client

courty
15-01-2011, 09:35 PM
time to find a new client

what he said,sounds like they are not someone you want to work for

Andy B
16-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the reply,do the weed and feeds work as use Kamba and Sempra(very expensive) for Turf weed control and the Weed and Feed packs may be abetter option

Temporarily. I haven't tried but it says on the container not to use on buffalo and will temporarily harm kikuyu. I'm just guessing but for small cost it might be worth a try? Do a test area by mixing some up in a watering can??

MowerRob
16-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Temporarily. I haven't tried but it says on the container not to use on buffalo and will temporarily harm kikuyu. I'm just guessing but for small cost it might be worth a try? Do a test area by mixing some up in a watering can??

Wont do anything dont waste ya time using kamba em just turn kik yellow then it will be right in a couple weeks and attacking ya ankles

Firstly i would go tell the client to jump and get rid of em

If u do really want to get rid of kikuyu u have to use monument(need to sell a kidney to buy it off top of head its about $600- $100 a litre)

Bluey
16-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Wont do anything dont waste ya time using kamba em just turn kik yellow then it will be right in a couple weeks and attacking ya ankles

Firstly i would go tell the client to jump and get rid of em

If u do really want to get rid of kikuyu u have to use monument(need to sell a kidney to buy it off top of head its about $600- $100 a litre)

Rob is right once kikuyu gets in it is hard to eradicate. You could try removing it by hand or painting it with roundup with a small paintbrush if there is not much of it. Either way it is going to be time consuming. I had some get into a small lawn of a clients and it took us ages to get rid of it. Just kept pulling it out by hand each time we did the job. Eventually won the battle.

ForeverGreen1
22-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Monument will kill cool season grass out of warm season, not what you need! A product called DSMA clear will give it a hard time, I use it to kill paspalum and summergrass. Another product has slipped my mind that works quite well, I'll have to back to you on. Being in bluegrass you will struggle as it's in the poa family most monocle herbicide will kill it. Best bet use "Primo Maxx" it's a growth retardant, you won't have to cut it for 4-6 weeks.
I'll look in my factory for the product I can't think of.
Cheers.

PaulG
08-02-2011, 02:51 AM
FG1 will DSMA-Clear get rid of paspalum from a kikuyu lawn or will it kill the kikuyu too?

ForeverGreen1
08-02-2011, 04:13 AM
Yes it will get rid of paspalum, but it will also knock the kykuyu (yellow slightly). If you can spot spray would be ideal. Always do a test patch when using any new herbicide.
The product to kill kykuyu is called Drive Herbicide, it's the fastest suppression of kikuyu in cool and warm season grasses.
Hope this helps.

PaulG
09-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Was just reading the label for DSMA-Clear and unfortunately it says it can't be used on Queenskand Blue Couch but only on 'General' turf couches. Might have to ring them to clarify what they mean.

http://www.barmac.com.au/labels/DSMC_TU_LA.pdf

Mick
09-02-2011, 08:02 AM
After looking at the pic, are you sure its kykuyu? Its looking more like Bahia (also know as wire grass among other unmentionable names) to me. Even the ground underneath the grass is a classic look for bahia when cut short.

When cut short, are you seeing any runners from the Kykuyu? It should look much thicker than the cooch and be pretty obvious.

Im not saying it is Bahia, just that it looks somewhat like it in that pic.