PDA

View Full Version : ZTR Broken Belt

MowMan
15-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi Guys,

Well about 3 months I bought a husky ZTR. All has been going well and its done probably 15 hours of work.

Mowing today and all of sudden the deck belt snapped :( Meaning I had to push mow the rest :(

Being saturday and 3:15pm I tried to call my dealer but it was closed.

Should this be covered under warranty? Only having done 15 hours?

What would cause it to snap? And how much are deck belts normally?

Thanks
Ben

SouthCoast Walker
15-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi Guys,

Well about 3 months I bought a husky ZTR. All has been going well and its done probably 15 hours of work.

Mowing today and all of sudden the deck belt snapped :( Meaning I had to push mow the rest :(

Being saturday and 3:15pm I tried to call my dealer but it was closed.

Should this be covered under warranty? Only having done 15 hours?

What would cause it to snap? And how much are deck belts normally?

Thanks
Ben

Not sure about warranty but when you replace it, get a gates or equivalent "power rated belt" will last much longer.

MowMan
16-01-2011, 02:45 AM
Thanks mate, will check them out.

Just not sure what would cause it to snap after only 10-15 hours.

johnnie5
16-01-2011, 06:08 AM
belts are usually pretty touch and they shouldnt just snap

foreign objects, incorrect alignment of pulleys or tension can cause this sort of stuff

ask the dealer they might have changed the tensioner due to problems and have a revised part

remember to buy 2 belts to save you next time ;)

phaedo
16-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Belts have snapped on me due to putting too much work on the system. First one was at about 20 hours, just snapped another a couple of weeks ago at 100 hours. Both times was trying to push through too long grass for what the mower could handle basically. Not a warranty issue, but trying to do something the machine wasn't designed for.

Mick
16-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Belts aren't generally a warranty item. That said, 15hrs is BS! I would take it back to dealer and get them to check it over. What height were you cutting at? If you were cutting low, like 1.5" then the angle from the clutch to the deck may be to great so not sitting on the pulley properly.
I recently did a driving range and they cut it with a Husky. They cut at 1.5" and have all sorts of issues with the machine!
Gates Hi Power belts are good and Ive used them myself in the past for the deck.

MowMan
16-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks everyone, went back to the dealer today. No luck with the warranty and had to get a new belt $88! fark!

Will check out these gates hi power belts. Thanks

courty
16-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Mowman
You can normally get Gates belts from Repco and the like,if they dont stock them they would be able to order them.Would be very suprised if they weren't a lot cheaper than that.

MowMan
16-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks courty, I will pop down to repco and try to grab one.

Do i just need the part number or should I take the broken down to match up???

Ben

courty
16-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Belts normally have a number on them
Gates and Dayco from memory are like this
V Belts
11A1155 11 being the section 1155 being the length etc

Rib Belts

5PK1155 5 being the ribs 1155 being the length etc

I'd take the broken one with you as well.

SouthCoast Walker
16-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Try a industrial truck spare parts place or someone that knows what they are talking about as the power rated belts are measured differently (something about measuring the inside instead of outside or vice versa.

Gripski has them, just got one for my walker a couple of weeks back.

SouthCoast Walker
16-01-2011, 07:57 PM
http://www.rgs.com.au/

Redeye
16-01-2011, 08:12 PM
my dealer sells the belt for my ride-on for $80-90, I get aussie made equivalent (Gates etc) for $11-15 from the local belt dealer.

courty
16-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Mowman
This should help you convert your numbers
http://www.gates.com/australia/brochure.cfm?brochure=12294&location_id=18727&CFID=30224528&CFTOKEN=38402571

holdenhead
17-01-2011, 01:05 AM
I have broken a drive bellt at 20hrs took it to the dealer/importer and they replaced it for zip.
The retainer spring bollt stripped the tread at about 25hrs, the dealer replaced folr nothing. This is the reason I have just brought another zero (61inch) from him. Last Tues I callled him to get some blades, Wed lunch time they are at my door. On service alone I highllly recomend Bush Hog mowers,

Cheers Rick

edbeek
17-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Might be a silly question, but my gravely has a 'double V' (hex section) pto belt. The inside 'V' runs around 3 pulleys, and the outside 'V' only runs around the idler pulley.
I figure that the inner V would wear quicker than the outer V so would it be worthwhile turning it inside-out to get more life out of the belt?
The belts aren't rewted yet(150 hrs), just looking to get more life out of it.

gcsmow
17-01-2011, 09:56 PM
It's a good idea to take off your pulley covers and blow out any grass and sticks etc from the top of your deck and around the pulleys with your leaf blower once or twice a day. It doesn't take long but a stick lodged in between the pulley and belt can cut the belt. I heard a similar story of a bloke who bought a Greenfield, took it home to his farm started mowing a stick flicked up and lodged in between the pulley and the belt and broke the belt with only 2 hours on the clock. Just un-lucky.

Your local tyre shop should have belts and always carry a spare cutting belt and drive belt with you. I learnt that lesson the hard way.:sad:

administrator
09-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Members can purchase belts from Indy now just thought id drop that add in .
Example
John Deere Ride On Deck Belt AM32636 M46758
Replaces OEM Belt Description & Size Model Applications Deck Size AM32636 M46758 PTO TO Cutter Deck Belt. (1/2” Wide x 34” I.D) 36” Cut 120, 140 models, pto to cutter deck belt

$22.00

BCMS
09-02-2011, 05:56 PM
I get belts for my Dixon ZTR from a bearing supplier (B104 belts picked up 2 today). Belt life depends on the time of year but I normally get 50+ hours out of them.
I pay $38ea inc. I have tried the kevlar belts (B104K) but have found they do not last twice as long for nearly 3 times the price.
I have had a few problems with idler pulleys and the like which greatly increased belt wear but seem to be on top of them now.
Maintaining the correct belt tension has helped heaps which I found in the operators manual for my ZTR.
Jake