PDA

View Full Version : Google Places

Scooby Steve
26-01-2011, 08:04 PM
A question for all you computer nuts out there.

Is it safe to put in your full address in google places and the like or is it asking for trouble? Does it give a thief an easy target if your full address is there for all to see knowing full well there will be plenty of machines to pinch?

geoff1969
26-01-2011, 08:08 PM
A question for all you computer nuts out there.

Is it safe to put in your full address in google places and the like or is it asking for trouble? Does it give a thief an easy target if your full address is there for all to see knowing full well there will be plenty of machines to pinch?

i wouldnt , it opens opertunity for the undesirables to locate you .

RSM-Gazza
26-01-2011, 08:24 PM
NO,
No address, especailly in larger cities.
I use a PO BOX for everything at $80 bucks a year.
My house phone is silent and has been for 25 yrs.

Scooby Steve
26-01-2011, 08:30 PM
Trouble is they suspend your listing if they find its has a P.O.Box address instead of the real thing.

RSM-Gazza
26-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Trouble is they suspend your listing if they find its has a P.O.Box address instead of the real thing.

Incorrect, I tried to send a Pm. But your account is full.

Scooby Steve
26-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Give me a sec Gary i will clear it.

RSM-Gazza
26-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Steve,
Is correct in what he says, no PO box is allowed now. But it has been OK in the past.
Good luck is on my side as I have a PO box in the account, but google have given me a location address that applys to my map dot placement that is on top of my actual post office where my PO box is located.
I'm not complaining with that outcome of course.

South East Mowing
26-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Where does it say that scooby?? I have mine set up as a po box!!

South East Mowing
26-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Gee, I hope not;dealers;. I just checked and appear on top for google maps for a general search

Scooby Steve
26-01-2011, 09:45 PM
It says it in the quality listing part of google places no P.O. Boxes allowed only actual addresses. Mine was fine for 2 years but all of a sudden they have picked up on it and its been suspended until i place a real address in it.

South East Mowing
26-01-2011, 09:52 PM
So if you dont want your real address why dont you use a good regular clients address - as long as they dont have a business on google or web for that address. That should do it ?????

South East Mowing
26-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Hmmm, mine now just shows address as - Jells rd wheelers Hill. my PO Box reference has been deleted! Strange things are happening:dean:

Scooby Steve
27-01-2011, 05:05 AM
So if you dont want your real address why dont you use a good regular clients address - as long as they dont have a business on google or web for that address. That should do it ?????

Do they have the ability to cross check your number against your address. I'm sure i tried this before and it come up that phone number does not match address.

Scooby Steve
27-01-2011, 05:11 AM
I just put in the suburb and the post code and it has accepted it for the moment i will let everyone know if it stays that way.

glassngrass
27-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Try leaving just the house number out of the address.... or put the physical address of your post office in there!

bulletproofhead
03-02-2011, 03:38 PM
hi all ,
yep i used my P.O. box and so far it even shows the post office pic too,
try and google Mittagong Lawn Wizard and see if i come up , it should cause i just checked
cheers all
Les

grass keeps growing & we keep mowing

glassngrass
03-02-2011, 04:14 PM
This is another important tool from Google.

Many online business directories allow customers to rate or give a review of their perception of service received.

A belligerent client refused to pay agreed price, so I forward account to debt collector. 10 months later I finally get paid, however I also just found she left a particularly nasty (and untrue) review. This has been visible to anybody finding my business on a major search engine's map for many months. I have right of reply, however this is many months late!

Google alerts allows you to set up many search parameters. Now if anybody leaves a post, comment or web with either my business or personal name on that page, then I will get an email advising me within 24 hours.

Bluey
03-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Ok. Here's the drum. Google Places does not like people using PO Boxes. In fact it is against their TOS. If they twig to it you will have your account suspended. The Google places process works on finding the best result for the location searched. It looks for businesses with actual addresses. They have been upgrading it steadily for the last couple of years. It is done this way to stop people listing for places they cannot possibly service all in an attempt to get higher than their competitors.

If you use Google Places as it is designed to work it will work for you. If you bend the rules and use an address that is not yours they will eventually find out and suspend your account. It is not just them who do the digging a competitor can notify Google if one of their competitors is bending the truth.

Bare minimum is you list your street and suburb. And even then you will probably get penalised in searches. If you list your local Post Office you can expect to get suspended in the long run.

Redeye
03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
try & edit your details & see how much success you have - I come up top of the page too but wanted to add new aspects to my business eg pressure-cleaning...no such luck