VJinTownsville
02-02-2011, 06:33 PM
This is the result of cyclone yasi's wind gusts

Andy B
02-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Good on ya! :chewie

Bluey
02-02-2011, 06:40 PM
LMAO...I am pretty impressed you can actually do that although how long did you hold it.

Mrs HMS
02-02-2011, 06:44 PM
PMSL...I'm with Bluey. Thanks for the giggle.

Stay safe!

geoff
02-02-2011, 06:44 PM
mate you are the true blue Aussie , with all the crap thats coming your way you blokes are going to kick this *****...good luck Australians are thinking of you guys....keep up the spirit and you will get through

geoff
02-02-2011, 06:48 PM
although i get on to those edges before they get out of control lol

VJinTownsville
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
yea i am pretty embarassed about the edges lol all my gear are on lockdown.

bluey, its pretty hard couldnt hold for very long, but long enough to take a few good photos

will keep posting pics until the power goes out.

Mick
02-02-2011, 07:10 PM
although i get on to those edges before they get out of control lol

Funny, its the first thing I looked at!
Makin jokes when theres a lawn right under ya, that needs a cuttin!

Where are your priorities?:i dunno:

VJinTownsville
02-02-2011, 07:14 PM
trust me i already got in sh!t because i wanted to mow with the grandstand...trust me ill be the first person to mow when this clears up...i wont do as much edging though, since the house probably wont be there tomorow hahaha

Mick
02-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Just kick your kitchen off the lawn. Easy! Just dont step on any nails!

Bluey
02-02-2011, 07:35 PM
yea i am pretty embarassed about the edges lol all my gear are on lockdown.

bluey, its pretty hard couldnt hold for very long, but long enough to take a few good photos

will keep posting pics until the power goes out.

Good luck mate. Do you own a gen set.

Bluey
02-02-2011, 07:37 PM
PS..like the troopy. Used to live out of one of those for 10 days straight up in the gulf on patrol. Great vehicles.

VJinTownsville
02-02-2011, 07:39 PM
yea all good to go. we live by the river so if i need to bail my 4wd is set like a touring vehicle. hopefully everyone is safe. i might mow my lawn before bailing lol

Mrs HMS
02-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Lol VJ. Bugger the lawn...god's own blower has other ideas.

It's hard to imagine the size/intensity but this kinda put it in perspective a little for me.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/how-cyclone-yasi-compares-around-the-world/story-e6freoof-1225998806916

Anjaryan
03-02-2011, 07:52 AM
lmao vj

good luck, and hold on tight

VJinTownsville
03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
wow took a walk outside (sideways) the leaves are all stripped trees, hills are bare and that tree I hung on to is bent the other way. we are all safe but it is still howling outside.

bulletproofhead
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
hope all is well for you VJ
you guys in QLD have really coped it hard up there
take care

Les

Grassman177
03-02-2011, 04:56 PM
take care man. we just went through a blizzard!

nice picture. imressive too. you said you have a grandstand? as in toro?

anyways. what kind of grass you have growin there?

courty
03-02-2011, 06:34 PM
You have to love a country that can have a natural disaster of this size that not only has a zero death toll but the births register for the area increased during it.I bet they don't name that little girl Yasi.
Well done to the authorities for their early warnings and to the people of FNQ for heading those warnings.

:aus-flag::aus-flag::aus-flag::aus-flag::aus-flag::aus-flag:

jas
03-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Gday VJ.

Hope things held up well, not to much damage.

Just text a mate up there, and he only just got mobile coverage again. But they were fine aswell.

jas

Redeye
03-02-2011, 07:55 PM
google yasi & storm & you'll find this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkptcx7KO6Q

jas
03-02-2011, 08:09 PM
google yasi & storm & you'll find this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkptcx7KO6Q

MMmmm Yasi can blow ... me away anyday,

just lov chicks playing the electric guitar ..

jas

graeme
03-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Good on Ya Queensland, amazingly well handled, that Cyclone Yasi had the potential to cause almost certain death and injury, good preparation and people being sensible has saved the day. I feel for those that have lost their homes and livelyhood, but am so relieved that everyone appears to be safe

Countrymile
03-02-2011, 10:07 PM
I think this says very good things about strict building codes in cyclone areas, what do you think?. As much as we all hate being ruled by red tape, nice to see that it does pay off sometimes....

Bluey
04-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Absolutely and if you know Tully there are still or at least were quite a few older style homes there. A lot are the old fribro type. As these get bulldozed or blown away the new ones are built to withstand some pretty strong weather.

Did you see the ch 9 news this morning had a family on there and young woman was spokesperson. Well she rattled on non stop without gasp for ages. I think she said "OH my God" about 100 times. I really hate that yankism that has crept into our language. The thing that really grabbed me however was her describing how her elderly father climbed into the roof during the height of the cyclone to stop some leaks.

That has got to be the most stupid thing I have seen in ages. Oh lets get up into the roof plug the holes to stop the water coming in. Never mind the fact that the cyclone could rip it off any second

VJinTownsville
05-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I went for a drive around closeby and I couldnt believe some of the close calls some people have had. Some good karma around here.

Rolled up to do some clean up and my stihl chainsaws decided to "stihl" play up. my ms290 has been in the workshop more times than I have used it. Ended up nearly killing my arborist chainsaw taking on jobs too big for it but I didnt want to embarass myself with equipment downtime. Frustrating....

I couldve made a killing with the clean up but I am running the risk of putting myself in a position where I can be taken advantage of or being put on the spot of "Cmon mate, everyone is helping each other out, just do this bit will ya" I do not like using chainsaws or working with people with no experience with fallen trees.

I told this guy not yank on the branch because its loaded like a spring..he yanked on it anyway and the butt end of the trunk jammed under me kneecap. "sorry, mate. didnt know that was going to happen". I just went home after. Not goin to get myself killed working around unexperienced people.

My top 1 whinge is P-platers who doesnt seem to understand we are in a disaster zone. Driving right up my a*rse in a built up area and highway, streets lines with massive debris while on the phone or while taking pictures. I was going around customers to check up how they are going but had to pull up to the side shaking my head at the impatient clowns to let them go around me.

Redeye
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
my sister & kids at Bushy Beach came out unscathed thank christ

Christine Wharton
07-02-2011, 12:22 AM
We've stayed close to home this past week, preparing then cleaning up after Yasi's visit. The main damage we sustained was two massive trees in our yard breaking up - some of the canopy branches on the front one fell (gently) on our roof, power lines and the underlying cluster palms, so we got it cut out totally and the back one cut back to roof height. I've attached a few photos of the aftermath, just around our home. The team of 12 people took about 4 hours, so that gives you an idea on the scope of the job...so glad to get it done so quickly, so we could get our power back on ASAP after the lopping was done. Air-con comfort for a night time sleep helps make the long hard days more bearable.

I've just sat down and tried to reschedule all of last week's undone jobs for the coming week - now's when we don't need any more rain to slow things up...there are trees down everywhere and footpaths are piled high with greenwaste, so I guess we could be in for a few extra dump runs as well this week, if people don't want to wait for the Council clean-up, which will take weeks, if not months to complete. At least the greenwaste part of the dump is free for a while, not sure if that applies to businesses or not - we'll see!

Grassman177
09-02-2011, 05:52 AM
those pics are nasty and i am sure there is far more damage to be found from that storm in other places. how many lost their lives? I have not checked up on this for a bit

Christine Wharton
09-02-2011, 01:54 PM
No lives lost as a direct result of this cyclone which is amazing considering the number of downed trees, tidal inundation, and flooding from rain etc. (One person died from carbon monoxide after using the gen' set inside tho', so they've been advertising the dangers of using generators inside). Most people have power back on now - maybe 10% still waiting for reconnection of supply, but we have extra teams from out of town helping with the task, so that is speeding things up too.
It's just so sad driving around town and seeing the tree carnage - so many of them totally uprooted, large trees with their crowns ripped off, piles and piles and piles and piles of greenwaste waiting to be collected and turned into woodchip. Lots on public/farm land will end up having large trees lying where they fell for ages I think. It is such a mammoth task, and this is just one town that was impacted...there will be even worse damage further north.
The army has been called in to help with the clean-up and there is a big volunteer-based cleanup this weekend as well, so that will help to reduce the piles on footpaths and make the greenwaste sections of the dump even fuller. We've taken 3 loads to the dump in the past couple of days, some of which is cyclone damaged trees that have been lying around the neighbourhood/schools in the area. So far thios week the dump trips have been free, as they have included cyclone debris, but I have a feeling it won't last for too much longer.,,maybe next week at the latest.