PDA

View Full Version : protective wear for hedging? what do you wear?

Grassman177
06-02-2011, 06:48 AM
hey all.

i was curious.

we try to have guys wear leather gloves, eye protection and what we call samurai gear(chain saw leg and arm chaps).

no one likes to wear the chaps as they make it hard to work and are hot.

we have them due to one guy being lazy ended up cutting his leg enough for stitches.

what do you guys wear or not wear?

oh, and we dont wear shorts almost ever and is not company uniform issued.

Fred's mowing
06-02-2011, 08:41 AM
90% of our hedging is done with pole hedgers so its pretty much impossible to cut yourself.
Biggest safety issue 4 us is cutting vines/creepers on fences/trellis where electrical wires have been run & either the owner is unaware or we have'nt been informed:mad:.
We are obviously vigulant regarding this, but sometimes it happens:eek:
Personally I have cut through auto gate opener wires, pool pump wires cyclone fences, nails, clotheslines brackets, possums, birds & a host of other hidden obstacles & live 2 tell the tale:D

Fred's mowing
06-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Ooops, hit the submit button.
Re safety gear, we wear steel cap boots & earmuffs.
Sometimes (not often) when the pole hedger is vertical it might be an idea to whack the glasses on, but with the pole hedger most of the clippings just fall to the ground infront of u.
Cheers Fred.

Andy B
07-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Eyewear, earwear and shirt and long pants, steel cap boots, socks and jocks. :general

Grassman177
07-02-2011, 01:30 PM
i can understand about not cutting yourself on pole hedgers. we have a stihl extra long one with movable head. it is quite heavy and would like a short verson of it too for use as i dont like to bend over much with my back getting bad after all these years of labor.

i noticed none of you mentioned gloves. i think they are underrated.

do any of your guys over there ever see chap pants? pants with chaps built into the leg fronts. are they used?

Andy B
07-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I didn't mention suncream. :P

I don't wear gloves while using a hedger, but some of those vibration reducing ones might be good if you've got hours to do and your hedger vibrates like a mo fo.

Redeye
07-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm sensing the nanny state again....I "wear" common sense

Andy B
08-02-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm sensing the nanny state again....I "wear" common sense

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Grassman177
08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
nanny state? please explain more.

anyways, i dont like to wear it, but when you have a few others on your crew, and 8 guys to worry about.///////////common sense is not one of the biggest attributes of some of them fellas!! ahhaha

anways, for the original question i was curious as it seems that down under hedging is very popular and a highly demanded service. i figured some of you have to wear some type of protections and what they were.

personally i wear eye protection always, wide brimmed boonie hat, ear plugs, sunscreen most times and glvoes of some sort and pants, steel toe boots etc etc.

do you guys wear chaps for chainsaw work? or at least does some of the guys there like tree crews etc?

Andy B
08-02-2011, 06:01 PM
nanny state? please explain more.

anyways, i dont like to wear it, but when you have a few others on your crew, and 8 guys to worry about.///////////common sense is not one of the biggest attributes of some of them fellas!! ahhaha

anways, for the original question i was curious as it seems that down under hedging is very popular and a highly demanded service. i figured some of you have to wear some type of protections and what they were.

personally i wear eye protection always, wide brimmed boonie hat, ear plugs, sunscreen most times and glvoes of some sort and pants, steel toe boots etc etc.

do you guys wear chaps for chainsaw work? or at least does some of the guys there like tree crews etc?

nanny like elderly drivers, never going over 40km/hr and always doing it by the book etc

Boonie hat? I knew Ian Chappel had his name on some hats but Boonie too? lol (sorry aussie cricketer joke.)

Bluey
08-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Now cmon blokes...stop pulling the piss outta GM. Ok GM lets put it this way. Aussies hate any form of regulation. You regulate anything and they rebel somehow. You say you cannot do something then it is the first thing they will try.

We are slowly being regulated out here and those states that do it earn the name Nanny States as per Andy's explanation. We all understand OHS and we probably all should do more to protect ourselves but we are a pretty easy going lot and a little bit of blood here and there just makes us a bit smarter and a little bit tougher.

Unfortunately we here are normally 10 to 15 years behind you guys over there when it comes to things like this and we will be regulated like you guys eventually but we will go down fighting tooth and nail.

What Redeye said is pretty much true. We use our brains when doing this stuff and unless your useless or pissed accidents are pretty few and far between. But I understand your original question. To answer that I think most of us don't use a great deal of protective gear when hedging. I might be wrong but I think I am not

GreenHaven
08-02-2011, 08:10 PM
saftey sun glasses , ear plugs and ear muffs long pant long sleaved shirts always and common sense :thinking

Grassman177
09-02-2011, 05:45 AM
nanny like elderly drivers, never going over 40km/hr and always doing it by the book etc

Boonie hat? I knew Ian Chappel had his name on some hats but Boonie too? lol (sorry aussie cricketer joke.)

ah, ok,:doh

it is a term for a bush hat, jungle hat etc. basially a hat with a 360 degree brim that is 3-5 inches wide.

i love them for sun protection. i try to get ones made with uv resistant fabric as they hold up way better.

Grassman177
09-02-2011, 05:49 AM
saftey sun glasses , ear plugs and ear muffs long pant long sleaved shirts always and common sense :thinking

there you go, a good man. hahaha

i jsut cant see the chaps man, they are hard enough to move in and it has only been once that anyone ever did this. but, it "could" save ones life depending on if the addident involved the femoral artery!:fact

that is why my dad wants us to and i think will be more enforced in the future.

safety is huge here, and i think for good reasons.

i am not a regulator, but i think the laws are there for good reason. we have OSHA here to deal with for work place safety.

It can mean the difference between winning and losing a law suit from an injury making sure they at least have the gear at their ready!

Redeye
09-02-2011, 08:02 AM
I think most of us have moved on from regular hedgetrimmers to long pole trimmers for the vast majority of work (I know I rarely use the "short" one anymore) so, glasses & earmuffs pretty well covers it

Andy B
09-02-2011, 12:32 PM
ah, ok,:doh

it is a term for a bush hat, jungle hat etc. basially a hat with a 360 degree brim that is 3-5 inches wide.

i love them for sun protection. i try to get ones made with uv resistant fabric as they hold up way better.

We only allowed to wear these, there's very strict rules on this: :ebony: :aus-flag: :big grin

http://www.akubra.com.au/index.html

http://www.drizabone.com.au/

Grassman177
09-02-2011, 05:40 PM
nice hats.

do you wear one of those type, and which one?

i like the looks of a couple of them, but too nice for me as far as cost....hehe

the one i used for 2 years is made by sloggers. i have no idea if they are still going, but probably and i am going to look them up as i really liked the hat and the material was long lasting and cool

graeme
09-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I use an Akubra "Cattleman" in fawn, had it for years, dirty with sweat and dust and just getting that run in feeling. Swear by it, the day feels about 5 deg. cooler, when I have to use ear muffs I wear a baseball cap though. You see some guys around with these hats so old and worn there is not much more than the headband holding them together, they just get so old, comfortable and familiar that they seem like a old friend and you just can't bear to part with them.

Also got a Driza-Bone "Brumby" jacket the short bomber style, a friend of mine had it for years, when he grew too big in the gut about ten years ago he gave it to me, and I have used it heaps every winter since, not for work though, OH&S Regs. specify Hi-Vis.

As for hedging, just a Hi Vis shirt, ear muff or plugs, hat. Use chaps for the chainsaw work, but chainsaw pants with the protection built into the front of the leg if in a climbing harness, as more comfortable than chaps for climbing.

edbeek
09-02-2011, 09:57 PM
I haven't bought an Akubra hat since 2000. They jacked the prices up when it was fashionable for everyone to wear them during the Sydney Olympics.
I get my hats from USA now. Cheaper than an Akubra, and much better quality.
Also get my jeans & boots from USA.

imoww
09-02-2011, 10:21 PM
there you go, a good man. hahaha

i jsut cant see the chaps man, they are hard enough to move in and it has only been once that anyone ever did this. but, it "could" save ones life depending on if the addident involved the femoral artery!:fact

that is why my dad wants us to and i think will be more enforced in the future.

safety is huge here, and i think for good reasons.

i am not a regulator, but i think the laws are there for good reason. we have OSHA here to deal with for work place safety.

It can mean the difference between winning and losing a law suit from an injury making sure they at least have the gear at their ready!

What in the hell are chaps ?

imoww
09-02-2011, 10:23 PM
I wear an Ex Army bush hat, Sunscreene, Ear muffs and safety glasses if required, long pants and flouro shirt.

Christine Wharton
09-02-2011, 10:48 PM
For me it's nothing extra special - long sleeved shirt, jeans, safety boots, soft gloves, hat, safety glasses - my usual outfit basically.

Grassman177
10-02-2011, 06:04 AM
I haven't bought an Akubra hat since 2000. They jacked the prices up when it was fashionable for everyone to wear them during the Sydney Olympics.

there is a bit of shock to me i will have to say.

please feel free to elaborate.

Grassman177
10-02-2011, 06:05 AM

leg protection made of kevlar most times or something very tough commonly used for chain saw applications.

Grassman177
10-02-2011, 06:07 AM
For me it's nothing extra special - long sleeved shirt, jeans, safety boots, soft gloves, hat, safety glasses - my usual outfit basically.

me too, except i only wear long sleeves if it is cold, or i am doing chemical applications as required by law.

otherwise, i use short sleeve and roll them up higher cuz the sleeves are longer than my t shirts so the super tan is a little much to be showing like that;)

Grassman177
10-02-2011, 06:13 AM
here is an action pic on a mild day renovating.

this is one of our crew memebers of past(yup, not working here anymore)

crew leaders also have certification patches on the arms, name embroidered on the opposite the company logo, and they all also have an american flag on one arm if not pictured

edbeek
10-02-2011, 07:47 AM
there is a bit of shock to me i will have to say.

please feel free to elaborate.

Since early last century, it was basically rural Australia that kept Akubra going. Come the Sydney Olympics we could see 100,000 people in the stadium wearing Akubras, and we couldn't buy one west of the ranges due to demand. When we could, they were about 30% dearer.
I get the cheaper US hats (Stetson, Justin) 6X and they easily outlast the Akubras 3 times longer
You can get the basic heavy Wrangler jeans delivered from USA for about $AU30.00 when they retail here for probably twice that price.
I get Ariat top boots and casual hikers delivered for about 2/3 of the local price.

Grassman177
10-02-2011, 10:51 AM
nice, it is about saving money for sure.

what is crazy is your mower pricing!

Redeye
10-02-2011, 12:48 PM
never bought an Akubra, always bought Cutana hats, the Coolabah Braid http://www.cutana.com.au/

imoww
10-02-2011, 07:01 PM
nice, it is about saving money for sure.

what is crazy is your mower pricing!

What are the prices over there grassman?
I understand the US - AUS dollar. But what do you guys charge for mowing jobs?

Andy B
10-02-2011, 07:29 PM
My last one (Akubra) was a bit too small but was great never flew off and got trod on or forced me to turn around and go back. But took it for a swim while camping and thought it would be smart to dry it out over the fire and it shrunk so bad I couldn't even get it on. It was about 8years old and was only worn where you grab it to take it on and off.

Different lifestyle now, I wear a cap mowing etc for ease with ear muffs.

Fred's mowing
10-02-2011, 07:46 PM

The cowboy in the village ppl has a nice pair:eek:.
Cheers Dean.

South East Mowing
10-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey Fred, Are you coming out???:megaphone:cheer:

administrator
10-02-2011, 08:54 PM
here is an action pic on a mild day renovating.

this is one of our crew memebers of past(yup, not working here anymore)

crew leaders also have certification patches on the arms, name embroidered on the opposite the company logo, and they all also have an american flag on one arm if not pictured

American flag i like that my son had the Australian flag tattood on his upper arm hope they dont change the Aussie flag anytime soon lol

Grassman177
11-02-2011, 03:12 AM
What are the prices over there grassman?
I understand the US - AUS dollar. But what do you guys charge for mowing jobs?

average lawns are $35-$40 and are about 7-12 thousand square ft

of course we manage very large estates and home owner associations too that are 2-4 acres. those prices are anywere from $100-$300 or so

Grassman177
11-02-2011, 03:15 AM
American flag i like that my son had the Australian flag tattood on his upper arm hope they dont change the Aussie flag anytime soon lol

nice, i hope they dont too!!haha

we are proud of our nation, and proud to do what we do etc. it is only fit imo. any of your companies that are uniformed should sport your flag too

kakegc
11-02-2011, 09:19 AM
The OH&S laws here are pretty strict too! Have been for years. It's just that there are 2 environments in our industry; the guys who work alone, or in small partnerships & the commercial guys, similar to your set up Grassman177. Not many of the smaller operators here are even aware of their responsibilities under OH&S & massive fines apply. But they probably won't ever have to worry about them, because they don't get policed at that level YET. It's only when things go terribly wrong that WorkSafe SA get involved at that level. I know 2 guys that cut themselves REAL bad, one with a chainsaw & the other with a hedger. But why on earth would they tell the authorities they stuffed up? They just got stitched up & lost money sitting home. The one who hit his leg with the hedger looked for the world like he'd been attacked by a shark! :( This is the guy who had his trailer stolen a few years back. When your running crews it's totally different! JSA's before every job, signage & bunting out (once you've done the course on how to put it out) CHAPS & all other PPE on before using a hedge trimmer, full training & assessment on all equipment before using it, SOP's on EVERYTHING, chemicals register, safe storage, training in ROPS, OH&S rep's, hi vis uniforms, yadda, yadda!

administrator
11-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Clogger Chainsaw Trousers(Chaps). Why risk painful, expensive and time consuming injuries from chainsaw use when they can be reduced or prevented. Statistics show that leg injuries account for the largest percentage of chainsaw injuries. Clogger trousers offer a generous fit for more freedom of movement and better air circulation. All stress points are reinforced, and the tough polycotton front provides excellent wear resistance. The "ARRESTEX" fabric, which CLOGS and STOPS the CHAIN, extends 240 degrees around the front of the leg area. Available in ‘Summer’ (vented back) or standard winter weight styles. If you're serious about your chainsaw Hedge Trimmer operator's safety, get them into CLOGGERS.

Clogger Chainsaw Arm Band. Virtually cut proof, these arm bands provide a high degree of safety and protection for the chainsaw Hedge trimmer operator

63impala
11-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I got stihl flag on my left arm just above pocket and on the back...

Bluey
11-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Have to say this...sorry....does that mean you have trouble getting started when your hot?

63impala
11-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Not bad lol lol

Bluey
11-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks mate. Didn't know how you would take it:scared

Redeye
11-02-2011, 08:13 PM
people cutting themselves with a hedgie, not gonna say any more

Grassman177
11-02-2011, 11:56 PM
they are a dangerous tool, it happens although i have never done it.

no one here uses protective gear for hedging besides us. i have never seen it.

real pros on tree crews do though, and really there is only aslight difference between the two.

kakegc
12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
The big difference is hedgers don't kick back, or loose chains. When people cut themselves with a hedger, it's usually due to inattention. The guy I mentioned was wearing shorts & climbed over a small fence while the hedger was idling. Familiarity!!!

kakegc
12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Clogger Chainsaw Trousers(Chaps). Why risk painful, expensive and time consuming injuries from chainsaw use when they can be reduced or prevented. Statistics show that leg injuries account for the largest percentage of chainsaw injuries. Clogger trousers offer a generous fit for more freedom of movement and better air circulation. All stress points are reinforced, and the tough polycotton front provides excellent wear resistance. The "ARRESTEX" fabric, which CLOGS and STOPS the CHAIN, extends 240 degrees around the front of the leg area. Available in ‘Summer’ (vented back) or standard winter weight styles. If you're serious about your chainsaw Hedge Trimmer operator's safety, get them into CLOGGERS.

Clogger Chainsaw Arm Band. Virtually cut proof, these arm bands provide a high degree of safety and protection for the chainsaw Hedge trimmer operator

They're the chaps I wear, I like them! Bloody hot though! Every time I've had a chain come off, it's swung downwards towards the legs before the chain brake kicks in. I haven't had one hit my legs yet (touch wood!), but the chaps make me feel a whole lot safer.

kakegc
12-02-2011, 10:14 AM
The OH&S laws here are pretty strict too! Have been for years. It's just that there are 2 environments in our industry; the guys who work alone, or in small partnerships & the commercial guys, similar to your set up Grassman177. Not many of the smaller operators here are even aware of their responsibilities under OH&S & massive fines apply. But they probably won't ever have to worry about them, because they don't get policed at that level YET. It's only when things go terribly wrong that WorkSafe SA get involved at that level. I know 2 guys that cut themselves REAL bad, one with a chainsaw & the other with a hedger. But why on earth would they tell the authorities they stuffed up? They just got stitched up & lost money sitting home. The one who hit his leg with the hedger looked for the world like he'd been attacked by a shark! :( This is the guy who had his trailer stolen a few years back. When your running crews it's totally different! JSA's before every job, signage & bunting out (once you've done the course on how to put it out) CHAPS & all other PPE on before using a hedge trimmer, full training & assessment on all equipment before using it, SOP's on EVERYTHING, chemicals register, safe storage, training in ROPS, OH&S rep's, hi vis uniforms, yadda, yadda!

I forgot to mention that if you want to get accreditation for quality control (ISO 9002) they actually come out & audit how you run your business. Right down to your servicing schedules for your work vehicles. You need to have procedures in place for EVERYTHING & be adhering to those procedures. They check your crews working on job sites are doing everything to the letter. I've been through an audit (passed!) & would rather get route canal dental surgery than do it again!

Grassman177
12-02-2011, 03:01 PM
that sounds tough. is this all businesses that have to get inspected like that? the most we have to do is deal with the dept of ag inspectors on chemical storage, records, all that jazz. business though is not regulated all too much otherwise in our arena

Bluey
12-02-2011, 10:53 PM
So what do we learn from this. Don't go big and fly under the radar

DavidS
13-02-2011, 07:02 AM
I don't wear chaps for hedging but ALWAYS wear them with the chainsaw, I have seen the result of a chain off and into unprotected leg, not nice, this person was off work for 6 weeks and has a huge scar to remind him, lucky he did not lose his leg.He was a logger and did not like wearing the chaps because they were hot.

kakegc
13-02-2011, 08:22 AM
that sounds tough. is this all businesses that have to get inspected like that?

No, only if you want ISO 9002 accreditation.

Grassman177
13-02-2011, 10:40 AM
So what do we learn from this. Don't go big and fly under the radar

there is truth to this, but here you are considered an idiot or lowlife in general if you are a solo. of course every situation is different, there is rules for this for good reason imo

Grassman177
13-02-2011, 10:40 AM
No, only if you want ISO 9002 accreditation.

like a professional certification?

ian
13-02-2011, 01:49 PM
like a professional certification?

yes but a quality certification ie:if you have this you are certified to have meet certain internationally recognized quality standards(iso international standards organization )

PaulG
13-02-2011, 11:12 PM
How much do you need to spend for a good pair of chainsaw chaps? Would these be okay?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/chainsaw-chaps-safety-pants-size-36-brand-new-/200575669223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2eb33dd3e7

I'm doing more chainsaw work, (small tree lopping), with my clean-ups so I really should invest in a pair.

PaulG
13-02-2011, 11:15 PM
These are probably not a bad idea either.

http://www.newagearbor.com.au/shop/prod796.htm

Grassman177
14-02-2011, 12:52 AM
those look nice, and i am sure they would do fine

kakegc
14-02-2011, 02:36 PM
there is rules for this for good reason imo

Totally agree!

This is an extract from our OH&S law here in SA, obtained from the SafeWork SA website:

Division 1 fine $200 000 $600 000
Division 2 fine $100 000 $300 000
Division 3 fine $40 000 $120 000
Division 4 fine $30 000 $90 000
Division 5 fine $20 000 $60 000
Division 6 fine $10 000 $30 000
Division 7 fine $5 000 $15 000

59—Offence to endanger persons in workplaces
(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—
(a) the person, without lawful excuse, acts in a manner that creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another who is in a workplace; and
(b) the person—
(i) knew that his or her act or acts would create that risk; or
(ii) was recklessly indifferent about whether his or her act or acts would create that risk.
Maximum penalty:
(a) in the case of a natural person—imprisonment for 5 years or double the Division 1 fine;

With regard to (ii), imagine trying to defend yourself to reckless indifference after you operated machinery & hurt someone without proper training & S.O.P's! They display all convictions on their website. It's very sobering reading!

What do you reckon they'd do to a contractor who hit a kid in the eye with a rock flying off a whip if they hadn't followed correct OH&S procedures lol! It'd be loose the house time if you hurt someone & hadn't done everything right!

Equip Junkie
09-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Maybe this is a "dead" thread......but as many have said its the boots, muffs, glasses, and the priceless
common sense........ I do wear gloves, not as a rule but so i dont get Bloody grey aluminium hands from the hedger poles. The "warehouse" have a grouse pair.....not cheap at all but the only pair Ive ever ever seen that actually protect at the same time as still allowing good feeling as to what u r doing.........not being able to "feel" where yor hands are can be far more dangerous than not wearing gloves.......as Fred said earlier the cutters will go through nails. Cyclone fences and possums so gloves are unlikely to provide any real protectin.........in my HO.

Grassman177
10-07-2011, 02:08 PM
that is true, we dont require them to trim as they are not any real protection., but do recommend them anyways. i went out for a 7 hr one job trim the other day when it was super hot and humid, bout killed me. i forgot the gatorade and only had water....i cramped so bad that night, and all muscles hurt and i felt crappy the next day even.

never again i say, i work in some bloody nasty weather but know not how you guys and others here farther south ever stand that crap every day. would about pass out every day.

imoww
12-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Bugger it. Just wear sunnies, a hat , boots, the regular clothing and get a tan....Gloves are for nanies doing their dish washing

Grassman177
13-07-2011, 10:21 AM
my grandmother used to wear dish gloves!! always thought it funny

administrator
13-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Ah bless her cotton socks :dance

Equip Junkie
26-08-2011, 09:59 PM
depends on where u plan on putting your fingers after work Imoww or was that "romeo"?