PDA

View Full Version : rhododendron bay leaf

Andy B
07-02-2011, 03:06 PM
I've got to quote the removal of a rhododendron (fully intact) and a bay leaf tree which has been removed and then sprouted suckers. I'm not concerned about how much to charge, more about challenges in getting the root ball of the rhododendron and best advice to give the client for when/if the bay leaf comes back with fury.

Should the rhododendron be poisoned first?

Would you spray all the bay leaf shoots and allow a couple of weeks to take effect before digging as much of it out as you can find? or just dig as much as you can out and tell the owner to it will need to be sprayed as it re-appears???

Anjaryan
07-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Why do you need to remove it intact??

I might be reading it wrong but if they want to keep it dont spray it :)

Re: bay leaf if it keeps coming back after digging it then oyu would need to spray it to try and kill the roots to stop it once and for all.
Problem is when some plants are attacked they send up shoots everywhere in an attempt to survive... persistance will win in th end

Redeye
07-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I'd try and dig down to some roots (bay leaf) and cut & paint with undiluted glyso. Leave the suckers in place & see how it looks in 2 weeks. The more roots you treat the better

Scooby Steve
07-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Would u need to use something stronger like the tree and blackberry poison or would round-up etc suffice?

Andy B
08-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Why do you need to remove it intact??

I might be reading it wrong but if they want to keep it dont spray it :)

Re: bay leaf if it keeps coming back after digging it then oyu would need to spray it to try and kill the roots to stop it once and for all.
Problem is when some plants are attacked they send up shoots everywhere in an attempt to survive... persistance will win in th end

Sorry, it's an intact tree not like the bay leaf which has previously been removed.

Andy B
08-02-2011, 09:53 AM
I'd try and dig down to some roots (bay leaf) and cut & paint with undiluted glyso. Leave the suckers in place & see how it looks in 2 weeks. The more roots you treat the better

Would u need to use something stronger like the tree and blackberry poison or would round-up etc suffice?

Thank you will take both of these and run with them. Thanks again.