PDA

View Full Version : Garden spray to stop anything growing

MAGOO
07-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi

I had a few people today ask me about spraying the gardens to stop weeds, grass .. anything really.

I really do not like doing this as I try to suggest hand weed, then place a heap of mulch and then do the odd weeding if anything come through but they want it sprayed. :hit wall

Any suggestions on what to use.. Bunning is close by so hopefully I can get it from there.

thanks in advance, had a search so hopefully I am not asking anything too new

Craig

Redeye
07-02-2011, 07:04 PM
glysophate - zero, roundup etc

Scooby Steve
07-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Bunnings have a decent cheap weed poison called tuff weeds $18 for 1 litre or if you plan on doing some more buy in bulk you can get it much cheaper.

Andy B
08-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi

I had a few people today ask me about spraying the gardens to stop weeds, grass .. anything really.

I really do not like doing this as I try to suggest hand weed, then place a heap of mulch and then do the odd weeding if anything come through but they want it sprayed. :hit wall

Any suggestions on what to use.. Bunning is close by so hopefully I can get it from there.

thanks in advance, had a search so hopefully I am not asking anything too new

Craig

Stop anything growing?? Nuc it :FU:FU:FU:tomcat:tomcat:tomcat, that might last awhile but nothing is going to stop anything from growing permanently, so don't give guarantee just kill what's there and explain that your method of mulch etc will look good and be easier to maintain.

BugPatrol
12-02-2011, 10:01 AM
You can also add prodiamine to the glypho-acts as a pre-emergent and over time will greatly reduce growth in beds or wherever.

Called Procade and/or Guardrail here in the States.

Wombat Garden Services
12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I got 20 litres of roundup 360 for $120, should last me a year :dance

Redlandsguy
13-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Double post ..........

Redlandsguy
13-02-2011, 09:39 AM
There is no such thing, unless you are looking to get something out of the army surplus like agent orange. Some weeds will be resistant to the effects of some poisons. In saying that Glyphosphate 360 is a good general weed killer that will work on most things. The trouble is it may kill some of the plants you want to retain. Glypho is probably not the thing to use to kill of woody plants and you will need something different. It is also not the best as path weeder as it has no residual properties and though it will kill the weeds there, they will grow back again. You will also need a general broadleaf killer for the lawns and I would assume that at least some your lawns would be buffalo, so you will need a broad leaf spray without Kamba, unless you want to kill of the buffalo. At the moment, I am trying to clear up an infestation of Singapore Daisy and Glypho is no good for that unless you want to remove the remaining stems and roots after it kills off the tops. As I have about an acre to do, I am not doing it that way. I have had to get some Metasulfuron methyl to do this, first read of the instructions is a bit scary as it mixes 10 grams to 100 litres, pretty sure I wouldn't want to drop that in my coffee by accident.

You best bet is to find a good poison supplier and get what you need from them. Bunnings isn't one of those, the range is too limited and the knowledge too basic. Cost is also prohibative, for example, I buy 20l of glypho for around $80 and the hardware is selling 500ml for around $15, just buy the big tub and it will last an age. I use Globe at Coopers Plains, not local to either of us, but they supply a huge range of chemicals and can assist with advice on these. They are normally a wholesaler but will sell bulk quantities to lawnies. The other options are agricultural supply people and you will need to look around for one close to you, although Stafford isn't a renowned farming location so you will probably need to go further afield.

Sandgroper
13-02-2011, 12:50 PM
My mother was told theres a spray that kills the weeds in the garden beds but safe on the plants, never heard of such a thing has anybody else ?

ian
13-02-2011, 01:35 PM
maybe referring to fusilade http://www.nrrbs.com.au/chemicalsfusilade.htm