PDA

View Full Version : Hedge/tree trimming - How hot is to hot

BCMS
15-02-2011, 07:15 PM
As per the title how hot is to hot for trimming?

I take care of a large property (60+ unit housing estate) in Endeavour Hills and with the recent weather Victoria has had (hot and wet) everything is growing like crazy. I have been asked to do a full trim of the entire property ( 1.5 - 2 days for a crew of 2) but I want to be sure I wont harm any of the hedges/trees by trimming on a hot day.
I keep most of the plants in check with regular trimming each visit but this weather has meant I have been having a hard time just keeping the drives and walkways clear.
Any advise would be welcome.

Cheers
Jake

Redeye
15-02-2011, 07:24 PM
I did 5 hrs straight today with the long pole hedger - jesus my arms/shoulders were ready to run away from home - must be getting old or somethin'!!

The Local Gardener
15-02-2011, 08:27 PM
As per the title how hot is to hot for trimming?

I take care of a large property (60+ unit housing estate) in Endeavour Hills and with the recent weather Victoria has had (hot and wet) everything is growing like crazy. I have been asked to do a full trim of the entire property ( 1.5 - 2 days for a crew of 2) but I want to be sure I wont harm any of the hedges/trees by trimming on a hot day.
I keep most of the plants in check with regular trimming each visit but this weather has meant I have been having a hard time just keeping the drives and walkways clear.
Any advise would be welcome.

Cheers
Jake

what are the plants??

BCMS
15-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Hey TLG,
Plant identification is not my strongest point but theres a bit of everything in there. There's ornamental pears lining one of the drives, pittosporums in hedges and singurlarly, a few diferent natives, the variety is huge.
Jake

Fred's mowing
15-02-2011, 09:05 PM
IMHO, the biggest setback would be if your unlucky enough to prune then have soft/tender new regrowth, then get a couple of scorchers.Thats what will set the plant back most.
If u can wait a couple more weeks, Im pretty sure the danger period will be over, If not, I reckon you'll still be right.
Cheers Fred.

PaulG
16-02-2011, 12:43 AM
What are the temps like there at present Jake?

I've been doing a lot of pruning and hedging here recently without drama but our daytime maximums have only been in the 27 - 30 degs mark.

Got a big private job next week. A garden about 60m x 8m full of native shrubs and small trees on a rural-residential property. Hiring a 14hp mulcher/shredder to mulch everything on site but again I don't forsee any dramas. Things have been shooting and regrowing normally here without problem.

bulletproofhead
17-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I did 5 hrs straight today with the long pole hedger - jesus my arms/shoulders were ready to run away from home - must be getting old or somethin'!!

hi Redeye
we did a hedge just before xmas
first hedge was 250 mtrs long,
2nd hedge was 100 mtrs long,
both hedges over 2.5 - 3mtrs high,
we spent 10 hrs x 2 crew ,
dam i had muscle where i never knew i had muscles the next day ,
even had a GT strip where the cap let the sun in on the head ,
we cut all day and spent 1hr cleaning up the clippings , 2 trailer loads 8-5 into the back paddock , thank god this was on a property , tip fees would have killed , lol

so Redeye , i feel you hehehe

Redeye
17-02-2011, 06:39 PM
sthn highlands, you've got the hedges to beat all hedges up there bph

Bluey
17-02-2011, 06:55 PM
so Redeye , i feel you hehehe

lol....no wonder he has been smiling lately:wtf

Redeye
17-02-2011, 07:36 PM
nah I'm saving myself for liz - hurry up warnie, its my turn

kakegc
18-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Hey TLG,
Plant identification is not my strongest point but theres a bit of everything in there. There's ornamental pears lining one of the drives, pittosporums in hedges and singurlarly, a few diferent natives, the variety is huge.
Jake

If you prune the pears whilst they're actively growing (ie: have leaves on them) you will encourage lots of epicormic growth, thus pruning now may be counter productive. Best to wait & prune them in late winter unless you want to be pruning them again in a few weeks.

Re the pitto's; unless they're the native pittosporum trees, they probably originate in NZ (screen master, James Stirling, etc) I strongly discourage customers who ask me to prune these in the warmer months as you can kill them very easily. I've removed a 12' high, 50' long pitto hedge (screen master) that had been pruned at the wrong time of the year & died. The customer was very upset about losing it too, paid the guy $200 to prune it & paid me $400 to take it out. They're also extremely susceptible to scale infestation & powdery mildew. They don't like poorly drained soil, but equally don't like drying out either :i dunno: Not my favourite plant, but I make a few dollars taking dead ones out! :laughing:

BCMS
19-02-2011, 09:13 PM
PaulG,
It's Melbourne mate, we have had everything from 20 - 36 and heaps of rain and high humidity. It's like we haven't had a summer this year, just one long spring.

kakegc,
Had to prune the pears on Friday . The chairman of the owners corporation was not happy that they had been left and insisted they be done asap. With over 60 units it is easy for people not to realise that we are trimming in other areas away from them and they think it is not being done. I have to prioritise pathways and driveways at the moment as everything is growing out of control.
The pitto's have to be done but that will be a light trim and I will be cleaning up everything else.
I will be locking in a full day this week to do a trim at the property, as well as fitting in a couple of cleanups on two sites (one 13 units, one 8) and remulching another site (~25m3). Going to be a busy week...
Thanks for the advise
Jake