PDA

View Full Version : Deck belt changing

South East Mowing
20-02-2011, 08:51 AM
I just had mower serviced and the wrong belt was supplied. Needing the ztr I had to take it but was informed the current belt was not liklely to last long. Cant pick one up until Monday and will change it myself. Havnt had a look yet but for those who have done this - is there an easier way and what are the general procedures?? dixon ztr!
Just trying to save time and hassles as this week is like last - BUSY!!!!:) but got many of my ride on jobs on this week.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Mick
20-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Which belt is it?

Deck belt should be relatively easy to change. Just release the tensioner (not sure how to do it on a Dixon) and replace the belt. I set the deck about half height for access and no bend in the belt.

If its the drive belt, I would get a couple of car ramps and lift the azz end first. I dare say you will have to take deck belt off first.
On my SZ....
The spring tensioner is very tight and extremely difficult to mess with by hand so,
I put some rope/string around it, (must be on a level plain as you dont want to bend the tensioner. If you have holes for the tow hitch put rope through them)
Tie the rope to a ratchet strap,
Hook strap to a solid object like a post or tree with ratchet nearest to machine so you can see whats happening while ratcheting.
Ratchet the tensioner/belt loose. You only need to loosen the tensioner enough to slip the belt over the pulley so dont go crazy!
Or if there are 2 of you, get another person to pull the rope instead of the ratchet strap. Be careful with your fingers if they let go!

Thats how I do it on my Super Z anyway. Its not a hard as it looks and its better to do it in the shed rather than out in the sun!

South East Mowing
20-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks again Mick, will have a look after I get home after 1 ride on job I have to do today (bugger). Hope the belt doesnt go other wise 1 hr job may take 3 with the s/p honda:i dunno:

SouthCoast Walker
20-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Take a photo of the routing before removing the current one if there isn't a good diagram sticker on the deck somewhere.

South East Mowing
20-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys, had a look at it and its quite easy. Maybe I should look before asking silly questions next time!!!:o

Mick
20-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Take a few pics and put them on here. I wouldnt mind checking it out myself.

BCMS
20-02-2011, 09:51 PM
My dixon ZTR has a belt diagram on the deck.
Just have to remove the two deck pulley guards and unwind the nut on the tensioner pulley. The belt then pops off and you can drop the new one on.
I can do the whole lot from start to finish in under 10 minutes easily. They are quite easy to work on.

administrator
20-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Dixon Belts available Independent lawn mowing contractors of Australia
Cutter Deck Belt
(5/8” Wide x 71” I.D)
Dixon ZTR2 selected models, cutter deck
belt
Replaces oem 6115 $18.00 each

42” (1067mm)
Cut &
50” (1270mm)
Cut
Cutter Deck Belt
(5/8” Wide x 75” I.D)
42” & 50” Cut Dixon models 501, 503, 542
also fi ts Dixon ZTR421, ZTR422, ZTR423,
ZTR424 models, cutter deck belt Replaces oem 6111 $46.00 each

PTO To Cutter Deck Belt
(1/2” Wide x 80” I.D)
Dixon ZTR421, ZTR422, ZTR423, ZTR424
models, PTO to cutter deck belt
Replaces oem 6109 $14.00 Each

BCMS
21-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Dean,
I am running a 2007 Black Bear ZTR 34.
I don't bother with OEM belts, just run belts from the bearing suppliers.
The factory equivalent is a B105V, I now run a B104V to accomodate for the wear in the pulleys at ~900 hours use.
Can you supply these and how much.
I currently pay ~ $42
Cheers
Jake

South East Mowing
21-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Jake, Where do you get your belts?? Bearing place in Dandy did not have the ones you have there.

BCMS
21-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Last pair I grabbed from South coast Bearings in Seaford (hartnett rd)
I normally grab two at a time so I always have a spare.
I tried the kevlar ones at one stage, B104VK, but found they didnt last much longer and are a lot more expensive.

administrator
21-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Jake
Do you know the oem number

The only one i can find at the moment if its the right one is B105K is for kevlar 35.00

BCMS
21-02-2011, 10:04 PM
539 117811

Actually says it a B103VK kevlar belt in the parts manual I have but mine had a B105VK fitted when I got it. The B104V fitts perfectly and runs about mid range on the adjuster on the spring on the tensioner pulley. The poor old girl was pretty neglected when I got it though so who knows who has messed with it in the past.

The dixon manuals are available for download on the Dixon website which makes it easy to find some information. I seem to end up doing a lot of the "consult dealer" work myself though as I find I can do it quicker and better than most of the dealers in my area.

administrator
21-02-2011, 10:13 PM
The only one i can see is the b105k my supplier has is the (gates 69108) 108" 2743.2 mm B105K i will check with them tomorrow by phone to see if they have the number you need .

administrator
21-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Part Number Comparison for Dimensional Kevlarฎ Belts

http://www.jiffyhitchsystems.com/ai/belts/Lawn_GardenBelts%20236-240.pdf

63impala
01-04-2012, 06:00 PM
The belt under the deck look like a head fark to put on will work it out when that goes but do you guys but it on or get your loccal mower fella to do it....:cool:

Mick
01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
If theres no diagram on the deck or somewhere, sketch one out and keep it safe, in the ute maybe. Make it pretty detailed and maybe take some photos.
Belts can go at any time so you'll need to know how to change them out in the field. Carry a spare on with you!
Maybe have a go at taking it off and putting it back on while its in the shed. Better than learning it out in the sun and on a green ants nest! (been there done that, several times!)
Good thing about a tractor is that you can still drive the machine without the belt.

Besides all that, once you have it figured it'll save time and money going to a shop.

DavidS
04-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Deck belts on ZTR's are easier to change than tractor units, usually with tractor units you have to drop the deck right down and sometimes this is not enough, some have belt guard to keep belts from jumping off so these have to be loosened or removed and then put back on once belt is in place. ZTS can be replaced insitu as they don't have guards and retainers to play with just remove the shields and release tension and bob's my uncle.