PDA

View Full Version : Mower leaving Mohawks

DavidS
25-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys, somewhere in the forum we discussed the problem that a mower with twin blades was leaving a mohawk, they had put new blades on the mower and it was still doing it.
I was talking to a old mower mechanic today while I was doing his garden. I don't quite know how we got on the subject but he told me that he had problems with twin and three blade mowers leaving mohawks, he eventually solved the problem by fitting a low lift blade on the inner lefthand spindle and then fitting high lift blades on the centre and righthand spindle or if only two blade unit low lift LH and high lift RH spindle, this helped to clear the grass out faster which stopped the mohawk effect.

TOO EASY YARD CARE
25-02-2011, 01:39 PM
my mower does this somtime but i dont get what u mean by how to fix it

danz
25-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Different tyre pressure can cause this problem as the mowing deck has to be level (check that it is level). I had the problem you mentioned and mower shops said ahh it's probably the blades etc but it was the tyres, i worked out that i had different brand rear tyres, so i went bought a new tyre to match the otherside so they would pump up to the same profile etc and bingo all fine. Post important thing is the deck being level

Christine Wharton
25-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I "second" that danz, for the ride-on. We had to buy a new rear tyre recently, so we put another one on order; meantime the difference in the level was quite obvious (to me at least).

GreenHaven
25-02-2011, 08:22 PM
If you have put new blades on it and its still doing it i would look at the deck belt then the spindle bearings and the condition of the actual spindles, i had this problem with a john deer out front leaving the mowhawks and at the end of it it was the spindles were worn after they were replaced the belts last more than a few weeks which was handy as they were a ***** to change the machine had about 2500hrs though

danz
25-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Sorry David i did not read your post properly, thanks for the info mate

ian
26-02-2011, 11:12 PM
my mower does this somtime but i dont get what u mean by how to fix it

i think the low lift wouldn't push as much grass into the outlet side and the high lift on the outlet side would clear the grass out faster