PDA

View Full Version : some ztr opinions please

mowerman
04-03-2011, 10:06 PM
hi , selection for new zero turn has been narrowed to these, in no particular order.This is a mower for a 19 acre school ground,15 0f which doesn't get done as often as it should! I am in Mackay,grounds are often wet for weeks on end! back of the school is not toflat from truck tyres when wet,etc!
1 Toro G3 34hp petrol/60' deck

2 Hustler Super Z 2010 model 31hp/60' or Super Z 2011 MODEL37hp/60'

3 Kubota zd331 31hp/60' diesel

4 John Deere 997 31hp/60' diesel or a John Deere 930a

any comments would be appreciated

Mick
04-03-2011, 11:43 PM
This is kind of a hard one.

My first thoughts were go the diesel for the torque as its not mowed often, but if its wet, the weight may be a problem. I think the Kubota is the lightest of the 2 and is what I would check out first. The JD is a great machine but very big.

Toro G3 has enough power but the deck can clog when grass is long and thick. Will get it cut but may not be pretty. Pretty good machine the G3. There is an issue with one of the tensioners or where it connects to the deck. They are made of alloy and can break when the deck gets loaded up. Something along those lines as I was told by a mate that owns one. He had the tensioner connection custom made out of stronger steel.

The 31/60 SZ is pretty good but the deck can load up if try to go too fast and will clump pretty badly if damp. I did a high school ovals a few times, cant remember how many acres but could of been upwards of 20. Think fastest I did it was 4 or 5 hrs and that was pushing hard. That was very rough and wet areas as well. The 31/60 SZ isnt really a machine I would recommend when long wet grass is mentioned.

The new SZ is an unknown quantity. The 37Kawi doesn't have a good reputation. They are much heavier than the current SZ but the hydros could very well be the best out there, in another league. I just read tonight that the 31 may be a little under powered so the 37 is the way to go at the moment but be sure it has a good 3yr warranty. I believe the deck cuts well.

What other jobs will it be used on? Dont want to spend this much money on one job. IMO, you should get a machine that can cover all aspects. ie, large and small properties, slopes etc.

How much are they asking for the 2011 SZ? I didnt know they were here yet!

warren higgins
07-03-2011, 05:35 PM
The John deers 997 were too bulky and we now use 331 zd kubotas which seem to be stronger and more agile forget about petrol if your covering big areas regularly and for the others well I would stick to the heavier duty units ,forget about the others. out fronts would suit this work well to, we use iseki no problems there but they are heavy and a bit diddly to change cutting heights of the deck wheels hope this helps

gcsmow
07-03-2011, 11:47 PM
I have a New Holland 60 inch 27 HP Kawasaki, it's an Everide Warrior painted blue and it handles long wet grass pretty good. I would put one of these on the list as well. So far so good with mine.

Grassman177
09-03-2011, 02:42 AM
we use the kubota and they are a powerhouse, very durable and will plow through tough grasses. i recommend them highly

holdenhead
09-03-2011, 08:38 PM
There is too much choice, go with your gut!

SouthCoast Walker
09-03-2011, 09:27 PM
I have a New Holland 60 inch 27 HP Kawasaki, it's an Everide Warrior painted blue and it handles long wet grass pretty good. I would put one of these on the list as well. So far so good with mine.

Hey Glenn how is the 27hp going? is it enough power for you?

gcsmow
09-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Yes, so far it has been adequate. I think I will lean the fuel off a bit now that it has a few hours under it's belt, it likes a drink.

Hey Grassman, are they Diesel Kubotas? Do you (or anyone else) use 72 inch Ztr s at all and if so what type of jobs do you use them on? What are the pros and cons of a 72 inch machine?

Hey Glenn how is the 27hp going? is it enough power for you?

warren higgins
10-03-2011, 07:11 PM
generally we use 72s on out fronts in open areas, we have used them on zeros but the 60 s we found were more mobile around trees etc and easier to fit onto trailers also found them better in heavier going as wider decks tend to draw on the power a bit more which means more fuel use and we found the extra width doesnt really make it that much quicker when going around lots of obstructions etc. hope this helps cheers

TOO EASY YARD CARE
10-03-2011, 07:19 PM
ask the dealers to bring out demos try before u buy

mowerman
10-03-2011, 08:54 PM
My Principle has now said all diesels are out of the equasion, so we are left with

either SZ
Toro 34/60
husqvarna PZ 34/60

ALL ARE 34/60

THE GOOD, THE BAD :)

danz
10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
While we are on the subject instead of me opening a new thread i might just ask here! i hope its ok.. Anyway i'm just wondering does anyone know the approx price of an 48" scag tiger cab?

gcsmow
10-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Don't know but a 61 inch SCAG Wild cat 26 HP Kawasaki water cooled is $14 995, they were about $18 000 a year ago, so if you want to get one grab one now while the Aussie dollar is strong.

While we are on the subject instead of me opening a new thread i might just ask here! i hope its ok.. Anyway i'm just wondering does anyone know the approx price of an 48" scag tiger cab?

gcsmow
10-03-2011, 10:20 PM
OK thanks, so maybe I should stick with my 60 inch or maybe in the future I could have a bet each way and get a 66 inch.

generally we use 72s on out fronts in open areas, we have used them on zeros but the 60 s we found were more mobile around trees etc and easier to fit onto trailers also found them better in heavier going as wider decks tend to draw on the power a bit more which means more fuel use and we found the extra width doesnt really make it that much quicker when going around lots of obstructions etc. hope this helps cheers

Grassman177
11-03-2011, 09:13 AM
our kubota mowers are diesels, 26hp. they are 60in and we use them for 1-4 acre lawns.

gcsmow
12-03-2011, 09:31 PM
I just saw this on You Tube, yet another mower brand on the market. What do Y-all think ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoOuZHfwRrY&NR=1

danz
12-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Ok guys i thought i will ask a few questions as well in this thread. If thats cool with mowerman.. Ok i are in desperate need of a new ZTR leaning towards 48".. I have 7000-8000 max to buy one.. Them 48" with a kawa donk, scags look great but can't find a approx AU price.. what other mower brands and model should i be looking at that fit my budget. I have a few 3-4 acre jobs. and quite a few medium sized resi's which have alot trees with a few bumps here and there... I would like to know a few prices of models thanks fellas

gcsmow
12-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Toro Titan Z or Scag Freedom Z are in that price range, both are technically home owner machines but have fabricated decks so if you treat them with respect they should do you proud for a couple of seasons. Scag do a flexi-rent finance deal.

holdenhead
12-03-2011, 10:46 PM
I have recently learned not to use your cash for purchases. Finance the bugger. Much better for tax and keeps cash in the bank. My 44inch zero costs approx $60 a week over 3 years. Cheap!!!! the 61inch is approx $60 per week but over 5 years.

Cheers Rick

danz
12-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Man that finance sounds alright hey... Does scag have a commercial 48" mower? note to self to check out a toro titan aswell..

danz
12-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm going to price on of them badboy mowers this week also...

edbeek
13-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Has anybody found a list of Scag dealers? I've found International Mowers in Vic, and they mention their nationwide dealer network, but no list that I can see.
Found another in Currumbin but that's a bit far away for after sales/warranty service.

edbeek
13-03-2011, 08:39 AM
bugger, all my posts are doubling up this morning.

Mick
13-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Just send them an email and find out where your nearest dealer is.
I know the guy at Currumbin. If you did buy from him he would sort out any problem very quickly. He's an ex contractor himself and knows the importance in getting us back out asap. He sells a lot of Scags!

I bought my Super Z from Hewlett in Brizzy (at least an hour away when traffic is good) bypassing a local Hustler dealer.

Mick
13-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Just send them an email and find out where your nearest dealer is.
I know the guy at Currumbin. If you did buy from him he would sort out any problem very quickly. He's an ex contractor himself and knows the importance in getting us back out asap. He sells a lot of Scags!

I bought my Super Z from Hewlett in Brizzy (at least an hour away when traffic is good) bypassing a local Hustler dealer.

mowerman
13-03-2011, 09:52 AM
kubota zd227 ,either SZ OR JD z930?
driven the kubota,seems a little underpowered even for 27hp/54
will drive SZ this week weather permiting and JD
HAVEN'T HEARD FROM tORO DEALER

danz
13-03-2011, 10:40 AM
It's amazing that you are spending that kind of cash and some dealers don't even bother to ring back or follow up isn't it, i hope you find one that you love mate... Does anyone know a rough price of the scag models? i would not mind one up from the freedom model...

gcsmow
13-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Damn right x 2

I have recently learned not to use your cash for purchases. Finance the bugger. Much better for tax and keeps cash in the bank. My 44inch zero costs approx $60 a week over 3 years. Cheap!!!! the 61inch is approx $60 per week but over 5 years.

Cheers Rick

gcsmow
14-03-2011, 11:59 PM
Ho hum, just another day at the office !! The very next job I went to was a neat residential job that I had to rake and make look spick and span.

Versatility is the key !!

Grassman177
15-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Ho hum, just another day at the office !! The very next job I went to was a neat residential job that I had to rake and make look spick and span.

Versatility is the key !!

looks like a blue version of the everride warrior, perhaps new holland mower???

gcsmow
15-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Yeah mate that's it. So far so good !! It's increased my productivity so that was the main reason for getting it.

looks like a blue version of the everride warrior, perhaps new holland mower???

Chris B
15-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Is this a good mower or underpowered?

http://www.farmmachinerysales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?R=10182270&__Ntt=zero%20turn&__Qpb=true&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__Ns=p_StockRankSort_Int32|1||p_Make_String|0||p_M odel_String|0||p_Year_Int32|1||p_StockPrice_Decima l|1&keywords=zero%20turn&__N=1552%201712%201715%201600%201601%201602&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&silo=1701&seot=1&__Ntk=StockAll&Cr=0&__Nne=15&trecs=26&__D=zero%20turn&__sid=12EAC5E79883

Mick
15-03-2011, 08:29 AM
I think 23hp/54 would be fine for home use or very regular mowed lawns but, I would look for 27hp myself.

Without actually seeing and running the machine, I would steer clear myself.
I dont trust what there saying! "Light Work!" Its been touched up and probably doesn't look so clean up close.

edbeek
15-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Ho hum, just another day at the office !!

As opposed to another day on the torture machine for me :)

danz
15-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Toro Titan Z or Scag Freedom Z are in that price range, both are technically home owner machines but have fabricated decks so if you treat them with respect they should do you proud for a couple of seasons. Scag do a flexi-rent finance deal.

Can someone explain flexi-rent finance? what do i have to take to the dealer? just payslips. Bank statements? ABN? it sounds ok is there catch?

gcsmow
15-03-2011, 10:50 PM
I've got a 48 inch Toro with a 23 HP Kawasaki and it has plenty of power so I think it would be OK with a 52 inch deck, just don't flog the @r$e out of it and double cut long stuff if you have to. Remember, sharp blades cut cleaner and quicker and use less power, Try cutting meat with a blunt knife compared to a sharp one, same thing.

Is this a good mower or underpowered?

http://www.farmmachinerysales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?R=10182270&__Ntt=zero%20turn&__Qpb=true&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__Ns=p_StockRankSort_Int32|1||p_Make_String|0||p_M odel_String|0||p_Year_Int32|1||p_StockPrice_Decima l|1&keywords=zero%20turn&__N=1552%201712%201715%201600%201601%201602&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&silo=1701&seot=1&__Ntk=StockAll&Cr=0&__Nne=15&trecs=26&__D=zero%20turn&__sid=12EAC5E79883

gcsmow
15-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Those Gravelys seem to have a small discharge opening, how does it go in long stuff ?

As opposed to another day on the torture machine for me :)

edbeek
16-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Those Gravelys seem to have a small discharge opening, how does it go in long stuff ?

Not so good, but the bigger Gravely decks have the same design, and they seem to spit out the grass ok. I reckon they could open it up by about 3" at the back of the chute without weakening the deck.
I'm taking it to the shop later this week. They've got to replace the centre pulley sheave that's cracked a weld, and one of the spindles has some movement in the bearings, so I'll get them to check that the engine is running fast enough. I suspect that might be my problem with long or wet grass.

danz
16-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Got a price for a shop which i wont mention. SCAG Tiger Cat 48" 25hp kohler around $13000 there goes my idea of getting one lol

South East Mowing
16-03-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm starting to get calls for commercial work and enough of them have long thick fast growing Kikuyu. I have a 21hp Ferris 48inch but it needs a little work to get it up & running . Looked at overseas but thats just too hard to get the right machine from the right people at the right price!!!:laughing:
I am looking at the possibility of financing a new ztr with a trailer also. Wanting to know what their is out there with a 52-54 inch deck, without all the fancy stuff that cuts long grass reasonably well and in a good price bracket - ( meaning importers have reduced the cost due to the higher aussie $) Would probably need a 25hp and kawas are what I prefer but will listen to a few of you guys that seem to know a lot about whats out there - Mick, Southcoastetc. Holdenhead what about your 2 bushhogs - what they like in long grass???

Redeye
16-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I'd like a scag 36" - just need to find a sugar-mummie

BCMS
16-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I have a Dixon Black bear 34. Works great for my needs and fits through a standard gate (just). Unfortuneately it was a little neglected by the previous owner but I have got it pretty much spot on now.
I have to say I am not happy with the dealer support in the SE suburbs of Vic.

Mick
16-03-2011, 07:21 PM
IMO, when your talking 52/54" decks, you need at least 25hp. Personally I would want 27hp (petrol.)
60' deck min 27hp and up as much as you can get without huge fuel usage and weight gain. Its a matter of finding a balance.
Its not a perfect world and missed weeks due to rain are common. A lawn that takes 30min can take an hour or more if its been missed for 4 weeks!

The thing is, lower HP is fine if doing regular cut lawns but if you miss a week or 2, you will definitely LOVE more HP to back you up. Less time spent on a long lawn gets you onto the next. HP is KING!

I dont know about all of the decks, only what I research. From that, Scag has best, Deere 2nd on general lawns. Tunnel deck like Everride or GSM's New Holland are probably the better choice if cutting long stuff all the time. You need something that cuts both adequately! Id be more worried about regular nice lawns than the slash type jobs!

The problem I have run into time and time again is that there are NO perfect mowers. Theres always a "compromise!" I damn well HATE that word!
Some machines will work flawlessly in normal conditions, but when the going gets tough, they fail! Add slopes and that changes more. What about speed and comfort? That changes things again!
Take my SZ for example. It cuts regular lawns great, add water and its shyt! But, its very fast and comfortable to run so double cuts to clean up aren't generally a problem. Within reason!

LIke I say time and time again (I should just make it a signature) Demo as many machines as possible, in the same conditions, same turf, basically side by side. ITs the only way you will know if that machine will work for you. Take into account dealer support and price of parts. (The best machine in the world is worthless if its not running, sitting at the shop!)

I rarely push anyone onto any specific machine because what I may believe is the right choice, may not be the right choice for you, the end user. I can give an opinion but thats about it. DEMO DEMO DEMO!

If your not a member, I suggest anyone wanting to buy a ZTR join Lawnsite.com. If you can sift through all the BS, brand loyal rubbish there is a wealth of info on all things zero turn. There are some very smart and up to date people on that forum. (me included haaaaa) Seriously, its the best place for info on all things ZTR! Please use the "Search" function before asking questions though!

Sorry if all the above sounds vague!

What machines/dealers do you have in the vicinity?

South East Mowing
16-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I have a Dixon Black bear 34. Works great for my needs and fits through a standard gate (just). Unfortuneately it was a little neglected by the previous owner but I have got it pretty much spot on now.
I have to say I am not happy with the dealer support in the SE suburbs of Vic.

Dixon service in melbourne in pityful. May be easier to get your parts from sydney and use a reliable mowershop who does ride ons.
Actually its not service they are just after your $$ from my experience. I have the same - 2007 blackbear

BCMS
16-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I do all my own maintenance but even getting parts can be hard. twice now Sydney have sent me the wrong bits and then told me to expect a month long wait to get the parts from the USA.
I am really happy with the mower but the after sales support puts me off getting another Dixon.
You don't happen to use a white soft dash Range Rover Classic as your tow car do you?

South East Mowing
16-03-2011, 08:15 PM
IMO, when your talking 52/54" decks, you need at least 25hp. Personally I would want 27hp (petrol.)
60' deck min 27hp and up as much as you can get without huge fuel usage and weight gain. Its a matter of finding a balance.
Its not a perfect world and missed weeks due to rain are common. A lawn that takes 30min can take an hour or more if its been missed for 4 weeks!

The thing is, lower HP is fine if doing regular cut lawns but if you miss a week or 2, you will definitely LOVE more HP to back you up. Less time spent on a long lawn gets you onto the next. HP is KING!

I dont know about all of the decks, only what I research. From that, Scag has best, Deere 2nd on general lawns. Tunnel deck like Everride or GSM's New Holland are probably the better choice if cutting long stuff all the time. You need something that cuts both adequately! Id be more worried about regular nice lawns than the slash type jobs!

The problem I have run into time and time again is that there are NO perfect mowers. Theres always a "compromise!" I damn well HATE that word!
Some machines will work flawlessly in normal conditions, but when the going gets tough, they fail! Add slopes and that changes more. What about speed and comfort? That changes things again!
Take my SZ for example. It cuts regular lawns great, add water and its shyt! But, its very fast and comfortable to run so double cuts to clean up aren't generally a problem. Within reason!

LIke I say time and time again (I should just make it a signature) Demo as many machines as possible, in the same conditions, same turf, basically side by side. ITs the only way you will know if that machine will work for you. Take into account dealer support and price of parts. (The best machine in the world is worthless if its not running, sitting at the shop!)

I rarely push anyone onto any specific machine because what I may believe is the right choice, may not be the right choice for you, the end user. I can give an opinion but thats about it. DEMO DEMO DEMO!

If your not a member, I suggest anyone wanting to buy a ZTR join Lawnsite.com. If you can sift through all the BS, brand loyal rubbish there is a wealth of info on all things zero turn. There are some very smart and up to date people on that forum. (me included haaaaa) Seriously, its the best place for info on all things ZTR! Please use the "Search" function before asking questions though!

Sorry if all the above sounds vague!

What machines/dealers do you have in the vicinity?

Ferris, Toro, Bushhog, Hustler, Scag. (Dixon but wont buy that again) Thers a few good ones in there. Will want it for the long haul as the dixon will do larger resi jobs and small commercial jobs, but the bigger ztr so I can take on bigger jobs competivetly and for a few years down the track when I want to sit on my bum more!! Price will pay a big part as it wont get heaps of use early on, it has to be a solid unit but dont need the fancy things. Have a bit of searching ahead of me .

South East Mowing
16-03-2011, 08:17 PM
I do all my own maintenance but even getting parts can be hard. twice now Sydney have sent me the wrong bits and then told me to expect a month long wait to get the parts from the USA.
I am really happy with the mower but the after sales support puts me off getting another Dixon.
You don't happen to use a white soft dash Range Rover Classic as your tow car do you?

Nope, 2007 white BF Ford tray with ladder racks with a grey trailer.

holdenhead
16-03-2011, 08:31 PM
The bush hogs have been great. the 44inch has met some real long grass, about 6 foot and cut it to a reasonable finish. It did fold some of it but I just ran over it in the other direction and it fixes that problem. the 61 inch hasn't had a go at grass that high but got through a footy field of 5inch long really thick kykuyu and in one hit cut it down to 3.5 inches, not at top speed obviously but at a reasonable rate. With the only problem being the amount of grass that was left behind. The 44inch is 20hp kohler and the 61inch is 30hp kohler. You are welcome to test drive mine or give Alan a call at APW imports. He'll bring a brand new one out to you to try. Just google bush hog mowers and you'll find him. I have not used any other zero's so there could be better out there but I do give them heaps and they have'nt let me down yet. Eg. the 61inch is just over a month old and just clicked over 90hrs. I have done jobs where I have been on it for 7-8 hrs non stop and it's just as happy at the end of the day as it was at the start of the day.

Cheers Rick

Mick
16-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Ferris, Toro, Bushhog, Hustler, Scag. Have a bit of searching ahead of me .

Just be sure to compare apples to apples! Same deck and engine size.
I dont envy the search or options.
I have some hard thinking to do myself! But Im only looking at 2, maybe 3 different machines. Scag Cheetah 32 Briggs or new Hustler SZ 31-37Kawi. If I had a good dealer close by I would definitely check out the Ferris 3100. Ride is very important to me these days. If Grasshopper was a little quicker I would also look at them.
Im personally tending towards the Scag, but thats without even seeing one yet in person.

gcsmow
16-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey Mick have you ever used a ZTR with a (lockable) pivoting front axle ?
I.M.O. I wouldn't have another rigid front machine again, the difference it makes to the ride is unbelievable plus it helps with traction and control because it enables all four wheels to stay on the ground most of the time. I used my Hustler Fastrak today and I really noticed the difference on uneven ground. For example if your left rear tyre goes into a dip the front right caster lifts off the ground then bangs back onto the ground once you drive over the dip.

That's my 2 bob worth anyway. :i dunno:

Just be sure to compare apples to apples! Same deck and engine size.
I dont envy the search or options.
I have some hard thinking to do myself! But Im only looking at 2, maybe 3 different machines. Scag Cheetah 32 Briggs or new Hustler SZ 31-37Kawi. If I had a good dealer close by I would definitely check out the Ferris 3100. Ride is very important to me these days. If Grasshopper was a little quicker I would also look at them.
Im personally tending towards the Scag, but thats without even seeing one yet in person.

BCMS
17-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Nope, 2007 white BF Ford tray with ladder racks with a grey trailer.

Fair enough, saw a dixon black bear behind said Rangie last week.

South East Mowing
21-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Got to quote a large retiremnt village, pick up all grass . Dixon black bear with catcher will do it ok but thinking about when it gets wet etc. WE are due for some wet seasons and most catching systems generally clog up.What is the best wet weather catcher mower for smallish areas. Need probably 34-40inch cut.
Walkers are good but expensive - is their an alternative? or how much for a Walker??

NLALM
21-03-2011, 06:13 PM
The walker is the mower for you but they are expensive, you may be able to pick up a good second hand unit There is a nice one on the yrading post at the moment for 15 grand. Your walker dealer may be able to hook you up with a good machine. I am a huge walker fan if you want to know anything about em just ask

danz
07-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Does anyone know any good websites with scag and walker prices? It would be a great help as i can't find prices anywhere...I did get given a price of 13k for a 48inch scag but surely with the aussie dollar there abit cheaper?

C.O.R.Y.S
07-05-2011, 08:30 PM
im pretty keen on the scag to danz if i end up going for a ztr but it is so frustrating no one seems to advertise their prices. cars are way more expensive and you can find the price of any car you want in two seconds, why do mower dealers have to be so covert!

C.O.R.Y.S
07-05-2011, 08:38 PM
also found this today to. does anyone recognise it as another brand or has anyone looked at one? the info they have on the site is rubbish and you have to contact them for an info and price pack but it looks interesting.
http://www.yardeco.com/?act=productdetail&store=zeroturn&ProductID=22&ModelID=1

C.O.R.Y.S
07-05-2011, 08:50 PM
lol sorry i just worked out convertible is the actual brand name! they are made in the us and look pretty good. very interested to know what these guys are selling them for. they come with some good looking accessories to.
http://www.convertiblemower.com/specs.html

Premier
07-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Does anyone know any good websites with scag and walker prices? It would be a great help as i can't find prices anywhere...I did get given a price of 13k for a 48inch scag but surely with the aussie dollar there abit cheaper?

Danz,

There are still a few Scag Freedom Z 48" with 26hp V Twin Briggs available in stock in Aus for 8K (Price drop due to new stock due to arrive)
All the 19hp V Twin Kwaka powered models are sold out so I'm told.

I have a Freedom Z 48" with 20hp V Twin Kwaka on order, due next month, under 9K with Mulch Kit included.

Cheers ;)

Premier

gcsmow
08-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Yes I have been contemplating one of those as well, especially with the brush deck. They would be very easy to load on a ute or truck in walk-behind mode. Do a search on you tube for them as well.

lol sorry i just worked out convertible is the actual brand name! they are made in the us and look pretty good. very interested to know what these guys are selling them for. they come with some good looking accessories to.
http://www.convertiblemower.com/specs.html

danz
08-05-2011, 11:25 PM
Spot on CORY about about car prices everywhere... Premier thats the kind of stuff i want to hear. I'm in Victoria. Thats the motor i am after a 26hp kawasaki.. Do you know any prices for the mower above the freedom? The Tigercat 48" with the velocity deck is what i am after maybe thats why they said 13k cause they might have meant that model.. Are you going thru International mowers or a shop?

South East Mowing
09-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Spot on CORY about about car prices everywhere... Premier thats the kind of stuff i want to hear. I'm in Victoria. Thats the motor i am after a 26hp kawasaki.. Do you know any prices for the mower above the freedom? The Tigercat 48" with the velocity deck is what i am after maybe thats why they said 13k cause they might have meant that model.. Are you going thru International mowers or a shop?

Danz and anyone else that may be interested in a Scag - buzz me if you want to look at international mowers. I would be interested in the Tigercat - but I think it should be cheaper than $13000. Just been too busy but getting a little free time soon.

thegrassisalwaysgreener
09-05-2011, 12:22 PM
hey mic. i've read on lawnsite that the cheetah is a dissappointment. also the kawa over 31hp were having issues!

Mick
09-05-2011, 02:09 PM
I know the 34 and 37 Kawi had issues. Very thirsty as well! The 31 has been pretty good!
Ive read good and bad on the Cheetah. Only way to tell is to demo one personally.
I read that they arent as good as the TT on slopes but will ride better, smaller, lighter and has same deck so cut should be the same. Fuel tanks can obstruct visibility of the deck trim side as well.

I wouldnt get any machine with a 34 or 37 Non DFI/EFI. WAY to thirsty! Mate has a 34 and cant get through a day without re filling. Thats rubbish. Should be able to get 8hrs!

I wont be doing anything until at least next season!

SouthCoast Walker
10-05-2011, 05:31 PM

$12,600 for a tiger cat with 48" deck and 25hp Kohler

Mick
10-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Found out today Scag TT 35 briggs big block is coming! $17500 or so is what I was told.
Cheetah with 31 kawi is "similar" in price.

SouthCoast Walker
10-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Found out today Scag TT 35 briggs big block is coming! $17500 or so is what I was told.
Cheetah with 31 kawi is "similar" in price.

Is that from a dealer or direct from international? I got quoted a bit better prices than that

Mick
10-05-2011, 07:16 PM
That was the dealer (and he was a bit "sheepish"). What were you quoted?

SouthCoast Walker
10-05-2011, 07:35 PM
That was the dealer (and he was a bit "sheepish"). What were you quoted?

Sending PM................

MikeS
11-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Just got a bush hog on my way to pick up this arvo, My machanic whom I trust to said he was very happy with the build and was quite impressed, so far so good :)

Mick
11-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Just got a bush hog on my way to pick up this arvo, My machanic whom I trust to said he was very happy with the build and was quite impressed, so far so good :)

Congrats mate! Take some pics and give us a review. Youtube vids are good for that too!

danz
12-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Thanks heaps SouthCoast Walker for the price up date.. Do you know the price of a walker with catcher, similar Hp, deck size, is worth mate?

SouthCoast Walker
12-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks heaps SouthCoast Walker for the price up date.. Do you know the price of a walker with catcher, similar Hp, deck size, is worth mate?

Dont know any current Walker prices but you would be looking at double ++++

happymowin
25-05-2011, 10:16 AM
i have the current walker prices:

Priced with a 36 inch GHS deck

MC 20 HP 17,523

MT 23 HP 19,690

MT 26 HP 22,715

deck height adjuster 638 (invaluable imo)
deck manual lifter 374 (jumping curbs, ramps etc.)
power dump 1084
air ride seat 1390
AT tyres 209 (you dont then get the standard ones too. I picked up a set of AT's on rims, so i can put either on, for 600. think i got ripped tho lol.)

i got a ream of other deck options.

but that gives ya a starting point.

i havent haggled with him yet, thats just the first price i got.

good luck mate.

the 36 in ghs is valued at 2915
42 in 3 way deck 3894 (incl. height adj.)

My fave is the 26 HP MT at the mo, especially if I can get it financed.

gcsmow
25-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Christ !! They aren't cheap are they (Walkers) and that's with a strong Aussie dollar. ( I'll shut up now before I upset S.C.W. and he abuses me) :scared

P.S. Did you watch State of Origin ? :dance

C.O.R.Y.S
25-05-2011, 10:51 PM
what is it exactly that your getting for double the money? having seen plenty but never used one Im honestly not sure. is it just coz they catch clippings?

gcsmow
25-05-2011, 11:10 PM
My thoughts exactly mate, I'm not bagging the Walker (no pun intended) they have their place, but I paid $15 400 for my 60 inch New Holland 27 HP Kawasaki. Admittedly it won't catch grass but I saw this on you tube :thinking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRSYknhoyeQ

and I think I might have a go at making one but for my ZTR using a hand held blower instead of a backpack. If I can successfully do it then I will have a mower that will do just about everything a Walker will do, and some things a Walker GHS won't do (I.E. 5 foot tall jungles) and have plenty of left over cash.

what is it exactly that your getting for double the money? having seen plenty but never used one Im honestly not sure. is it just coz they catch clippings?

ian
25-05-2011, 11:40 PM
certainly looks interesting http://www.piggyback-vac.com/about.html

happymowin
26-05-2011, 08:56 AM
gcs, i dont pretend to have as much experience as any of you, but my baby walker 18 hp with a sd deck regularly cuts 5 foot high jungle. Thats what i bought it for.

I cant then imagine the 26 hp MT with a sd or multi deck couldnt whip the **** out of the 18 hp mb.

so why say walker cant cut jungle?

just depends on your deck, it would seem.

and yes, your holland cant catch grass, so in brisbane you would get about 2 jobs a month for it.

different strokes for different folks, sure,

but a walker with a big motor, a ghs deck, and a sd deck - that is the ultimate in versatility.

NLALM
26-05-2011, 11:19 AM
gcs, i dont pretend to have as much experience as any of you, but my baby walker 18 hp with a sd deck regularly cuts 5 foot high jungle. Thats what i bought it for.

I cant then imagine the 26 hp MT with a sd or multi deck couldnt whip the **** out of the 18 hp mb.

so why say walker cant cut jungle?

just depends on your deck, it would seem.

and yes, your holland cant catch grass, so in brisbane you would get about 2 jobs a month for it.

different strokes for different folks, sure,

but a walker with a big motor, a ghs deck, and a sd deck - that is the ultimate in versatility.

Guys who have never run a walker shouldn't bag them they will do a lot more than most guys think, not everything but then what mower will. I'm sure if walkers were cheaper there would be a lot more around but like everything you get what you pay for. The ideal setup would be a big ztr for open areas and a walker for collecting on your more manicured lawns, but there aren't many mow bros that could afford that. This strong aussie dollar stuff is crap why don't we benefit a walker here is nearly twice as much as in the US Why???? I'm sure it wouldn't cost 12 grand to get one sent over here.

gcsmow
26-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I guess what I am trying to say is that you will do a lot more damage to a Walker if you are cutting long grass with it and hit something in there that you didn't see, those gearboxes are not cheap to fix or replace compared to belts, spindles and pulleys. I haven't owned a Walker but I had a 2nd hand Toro Z 355 (the predecessor to an Exmark navigator). I had to replace the deck gearbox because the shafts were bent and it cost me $6500.00 OUCH !!

But having said that, having a Walker for some of my jobs would be great, but I really can't justify spending that much money for the amount of catching that I do.

NLALM
26-05-2011, 03:10 PM
gcsmow where is Tolga? Your dead right $6500 ouch I think Iv'e just done the clutch in the ute $2000 ouch

happymowin
26-05-2011, 05:16 PM
you dont break shafts in a walker in rough terrain, ya just bust handfulls of the blade break bolts and or the shaft break pin.

thats also why i like running the swing back recutting blades, so i spend less time replacing break pins, lol.

they really CAN do tough work, ya just gotta have a side disch deck on em, and the AT tyres make it a hill climbing monster.

anyhow, i havent used what YOU have, so i know nada about that. looks like a froggin big paddock youre mowing. that 60 inch must eat it up.

C.O.R.Y.S
26-05-2011, 07:31 PM
i wasnt bagging my question was genuine because I havent used one. just what do you get with a walker over all the other ztrs to justify all that extra money, other than the catching ability.

NLALM
26-05-2011, 08:15 PM
i wasnt bagging my question was genuine because I havent used one. just what do you get with a walker over all the other ztrs to justify all that extra money, other than the catching ability.

I wasn't having a go at you but if you ever get the chance to have a go on one take the offer. But in saying that there are a lot of guys running walkers that are that old and worn out they would make better landfill than lawnmowers

happymowin
26-05-2011, 08:21 PM
cory,

i spose it is several things,

buying a trusted brand, tried and proven over thousands and thousands of lawns - dare i say millions of lawns have been cut with walkers.

yes it can catch, but it has a "blower" or vacuum if you like, so it sucks up all the dust, leaves, everything

to my knowledge it is the only commercial machine that bags with a vacuum

quality of build and components (not made in china yet lol)

and to me a real no brainer. I have to catch almost all of my lawns, and im sick of hauling the clippings off the mower, into the ute, then back off again.

i can easily get 3 or 4 cubic metres of clips a day in summer. More if i run a walker and i churn thru more jobs.

going a power dump mt 26 i think. and a tipper trailer, so i dont handle em at the other end.

if alls you want to do is side disharge/mulch, theres a lot of machines out there.

but you can get a 18 hp walker MB side discharge for under 10,000 now.

the mb is a beast.

gcsmow
26-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Tolga is in North Queensland, 5 ks from Atherton or about 1 hr drive south west of Cairns.
www.whereis.com.au or Google are your friends.

gcsmow where is Tolga? Your dead right $6500 ouch I think Iv'e just done the clutch in the ute $2000 ouch

gcsmow
26-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes, fair enough. If you are catching and taking away clippings then a Walker with a high dump is pretty hard to beat. I thought about offering the service of catching and taking away clippings ...... but then I sobered up. :rolleyes:

cory,

i spose it is several things,

buying a trusted brand, tried and proven over thousands and thousands of lawns - dare i say millions of lawns have been cut with walkers.

yes it can catch, but it has a "blower" or vacuum if you like, so it sucks up all the dust, leaves, everything

to my knowledge it is the only commercial machine that bags with a vacuum

quality of build and components (not made in china yet lol)

and to me a real no brainer. I have to catch almost all of my lawns, and im sick of hauling the clippings off the mower, into the ute, then back off again.

i can easily get 3 or 4 cubic metres of clips a day in summer. More if i run a walker and i churn thru more jobs.

going a power dump mt 26 i think. and a tipper trailer, so i dont handle em at the other end.

if alls you want to do is side disharge/mulch, theres a lot of machines out there.

but you can get a 18 hp walker MB side discharge for under 10,000 now.

the mb is a beast.

SouthCoast Walker
30-05-2011, 07:05 PM
You should not be braking handfuls of sheer pins, are you torqueing the blades correctly? I have cut some pretty rough areas on a walker and only broken a few sheer pins in thousands of hours.

Having said that if you are cutting 5ft high stuff buy a Hustler or equvilant underbelly, the Walker is not designed for that, and anything over 6 to 8inches you can forget about it going through the GHS chute. Its a finishing mower afterall.

gcsmow
30-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I was wondering when you were going to weigh in to this debate, where have you been ?

Having said that if you are cutting 5ft high stuff buy a Hustler or equvilant underbelly, the Walker is not designed for that, and anything over 6 to 8inches you can forget about it going through the GHS chute. Its a finishing mower afterall.[/QUOTE]

SouthCoast Walker
30-05-2011, 11:34 PM
I was wondering when you were going to weigh in to this debate, where have you been ?

Having said that if you are cutting 5ft high stuff buy a Hustler or equvilant underbelly, the Walker is not designed for that, and anything over 6 to 8inches you can forget about it going through the GHS chute. Its a finishing mower afterall.[/QUOTE]

Hey Glenn, Havent been around the forum much of late been very busy with work and doing some mods on the car etc. Still havent got around to doing anything with the Kwaka engine.

Did you get your engine rattle sorted?

happymowin
31-05-2011, 06:17 AM
You should not be braking handfuls of sheer pins, are you torqueing the blades correctly? I have cut some pretty rough areas on a walker and only broken a few sheer pins in thousands of hours.

Having said that if you are cutting 5ft high stuff buy a Hustler or equvilant underbelly, the Walker is not designed for that, and anything over 6 to 8inches you can forget about it going through the GHS chute. Its a finishing mower afterall.

i dont know what you mean about torquing the blades.

where i break the most pins is if i put the standard bars on (not the swing backs) and then do a rough block ive never done before.

The one i was thinking of had lumps of concrete, bricks, and tree forks where the tree cutting guys didnt take all of the bits and pieces away. I broke about 20 blade shear bolts - but i charged him $500 for it.

with the recutters, i have only broken the pto break twice, and blade bolts maybe 6 times - in about 60 hours of mowing with the MB. and mostly when i hit something extremely hard - i thik after a while the blade bolts weaken, and then it only takes a good hit to break them.

And i can only afford one mower (not even that, looking at $30,000 for a new walker, lol) so i have to do whatever comes my way with it.

thats also why i was interested in the belt drive sd deck.

thanks for the thoughts guys.

(and yes, i too have been waiting for SCW to weigh in on my walker dilemmas - youre leg - wait for it - endary)

:)

SouthCoast Walker
31-05-2011, 05:56 PM
i dont know what you mean about torquing the blades.

where i break the most pins is if i put the standard bars on (not the swing backs) and then do a rough block ive never done before.

The one i was thinking of had lumps of concrete, bricks, and tree forks where the tree cutting guys didnt take all of the bits and pieces away. I broke about 20 blade shear bolts - but i charged him $500 for it.

with the recutters, i have only broken the pto break twice, and blade bolts maybe 6 times - in about 60 hours of mowing with the MB. and mostly when i hit something extremely hard - i thik after a while the blade bolts weaken, and then it only takes a good hit to break them.

And i can only afford one mower (not even that, looking at $30,000 for a new walker, lol) so i have to do whatever comes my way with it.

thats also why i was interested in the belt drive sd deck.

thanks for the thoughts guys.

(and yes, i too have been waiting for SCW to weigh in on my walker dilemmas - youre leg - wait for it - endary)

The big nuts holding the blade and carrier on should be set with a torque wrench at 65ft/lbs. It should be loosened and reset at 65ft/lbs every couple of weeks, this allows the shear pins to work as designed.

Sound like some pretty wild territory you are cutting, its not really walker territory and you definately dont want to take the GHS in there, you will suck up a big bit of concrete and blow the suction fan to bits, definatly grab that 52" belt driven deck for these areas, otherwise this is going to end in tears :roll:roll

happymowin
31-05-2011, 08:50 PM
scw, thanks for the response.

I am picking up the 52 in SD deck tomorrow, its a done deal.

I would not dare to run the ghs in the rough place i was describing, and i wont mow my own rough back paddock with the ghs deck.

but i have been assured by the rep, that with a SD deck on, i can happily mow all the rough stuff with an MT.

thanks for the info on the blade torquing, didnt know that, will pick up a torque wrench this week and get onto it.

Thanks again - what you dont know that you dont know is always a problem - if you know you dont know it, you can ask. I just didnt know i didnt know, ya know?

this forum is great - thanks guys.

SouthCoast Walker
31-05-2011, 08:55 PM

I am picking up the 52 in SD deck tomorrow, its a done deal.

I would not dare to run the ghs in the rough place i was describing, and i wont mow my own rough back paddock with the ghs deck.

but i have been assured by the rep, that with a SD deck on, i can happily mow all the rough stuff with an MT.

thanks for the info on the blade torquing, didnt know that, will pick up a torque wrench this week and get onto it.

Thanks again - what you dont know that you dont know is always a problem - if you know you dont know it, you can ask. I just didnt know i didnt know, ya know?

Cool you will be happy with the 52" belt drive, great strong decks. Is it a tilt up model?

gcsmow
31-05-2011, 10:06 PM
You sound like Donald Rumsfeld saying things like that.:david

happily mow all the rough stuff with an MT.

gcsmow
31-05-2011, 10:19 PM
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

Donald Rumsfeld.

NLALM
01-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I was trying to explain this to my wife the other day. It's hard for some to understand but relavant to everything.Think about it .

happymowin
01-06-2011, 07:25 PM
yep, ya gotta know ya dont know something, or youre just clueless, lol.

scw, i am sure the deck tilts up. It sure is a heavy piece of machinery, much heavier than my 48 " SD deck. The skirt alone is impressively large and thick.

Only prob, i dont think I can fit a deck height adjuster, have to use the pins. (wont be too much hassle, this deck will primarily be a "slashing" deck, so i can keep the height right up on it.)

thanks again guys.

gcsmow
01-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I never got a chance to ask them what they found on my New Holland, all I know is that they replaced the drive belt and so far it has been good. I am currently replacing one fuel tank with a poison spray tank, then I want to give it a tune up and try to get a bit better fuel economy out of it, at present it drinks like a Russian sailor on shore leave.

Hey Glenn, Havent been around the forum much of late been very busy with work and doing some mods on the car etc. Still havent got around to doing anything with the Kwaka engine.

Did you get your engine rattle sorted?[/QUOTE]

PaulG
17-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Was talking to a guy yesterday who does a little importing as a sideline to his dayjob and he brings in a couple of ZTRs from the USA on a regular basis.

He was telling me about two that are clearing customs in Brisbane at the moment.

They are big Toros, apparently with an 80" cut. He said they would cost about $26,000 here and he's landing them for around $10,000. Had a quick look on the Aus Toro site but couldn't find anything similar.

Told me to come see him when I was "in the market" for one but that will be a while off yet so I thought I'd put it out there for anyone else who might be interested...

I don't know what else he can source but if there's anything that anyone is interested in from the USA send me a PM and I'll get in touch with him and ask.

MikeD
22-06-2011, 11:11 PM
This is a good thread, about to buy a 27/50ish inch deck.

Only thought of the toro G3 high performance
Hustler Super Z
Maybe just maybe buy a Walker 27HP with two decks. $$$$ ouchies!! I could add on the wide area sprayers, and the there is a street sweeper kit I seen on youtube. bah i just dont have the $$$ for that yet, but it would be a shame as I dont want bigger then a 54 inch deck at the moment.

How well do walkers do slippery steepish slopes? Boggy grounds?

I am having a hard time finding dealers for other brands.

Who sells, Kabuta stuff? Hewlett?

I dont like husvarna or dixon. (little briton "dont like it")

I am in Sydney, also time to get them to give me a demo, or call me, or e-mail me back.