PDA

View Full Version : Snake identification

gcsmow
05-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know what type of snake this is ? I'm guessing it is a brown/king brown or Taipan. I was working in Mareeba NQ and hit it with the snipper but It lived.

administrator
05-03-2011, 11:05 PM
its called a rubber one made in China .lol

PaulG
06-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Possibly a juvenile Eastern Brown as they have a blackish head which this one appears to have (or it could just be a nice bruise from where you sconned him!)

administrator
06-03-2011, 01:49 AM
lol must carry base ball bat at all times

ian
06-03-2011, 10:41 AM
all Australian snakes are protected by law. In Queensland the Nature Conservation Act (1992) prohibits killing or capturing wild snakes unless life is threatened

administrator
06-03-2011, 10:43 AM
i have a heart attack every time i see one thats life threatning :pop worm

One thing i do know its not a tiger

see other snake thread http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1027&highlight=bitten+snake&page=2

Mrs HMS
06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
all Australian snakes are protected by law. In Queensland the Nature Conservation Act (1992) prohibits killing or capturing wild snakes unless life is threatened

If I saw one they'd have to prove my life wasn't threatened! Only good snake is a dead one. Lucky we don't get too many near us (although in the park where the lake is I am sure they'd be there).

One close encounter in my lifetime is more than enough for me.

courty
06-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Looks like an Eastern Brown,but I'm no expert. There has been a few turning up on the beaches around here lately,as if the life guards don't have enough to contend with already.
I am amazed at the amount of people who hate or fear snakes. I grew up in the city but spent my holidays on rellies farms in the west of NSW so maybe I got used to them.

gcsmow
06-03-2011, 02:04 PM
I wasn't aware that a rubber snake could bleed !!
I let him live.

its called a rubber one made in China .lol

administrator
06-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Sorry gcsmow i should of posted that in jokes r us threa:m :death lol

Redlandsguy
06-03-2011, 03:07 PM
I'd say a brown, doesn't look to be a taipan, the head doesn't look fat enough and is darker then the body. Where did you come across this one?

geoff1969
06-03-2011, 05:28 PM
should have hit it again and made your self a nice belt ...:laughing::laughing:

Back to Basics
06-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Only good snake is a dead one as far as I am concerned!

kakegc
06-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Taipan! You lucky bastard!

Mrs HMS
06-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Actually my vote goes to Brown, don't Taipan's have light coloured heads? :i dunno: Whereas a young adult/juvenile brown has a darker grey head which is what the photo looks like.

It sure looks like the brown that I had the misfortune of meeting close up once. Shudder.

Snakes and big a$$ spiders are really the only things that make me go all girly whussy.

gcsmow
06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Yep, me too, I think the whole point is that if the buggers bite you you could die, or be in agonising pain until you get proper medical attention. Anything that could possibly kill or harm me that I can't control freaks me out too.

MAGOO
06-03-2011, 09:28 PM
hey

try emailing the picture to info@snakecatchers.com.au

also there is a directory of local snake catchers in your area.
http://www.snakecatchers.com.au/Snake_catcher_directory.html

Just added the local guy into my phone.

Craig

Bgs
06-03-2011, 09:49 PM
hey

try emailing the picture to info@snakecatchers.com.au

also there is a directory of local snake catchers in your area.
http://www.snakecatchers.com.au/Snake_catcher_directory.html

Just added the local guy into my phone.

Craig

You haven’t come across anything nasty have you Craig, I have seen a few tree snakes nothing brown yet :before

Andy B
06-03-2011, 09:55 PM
lol must carry base ball bat at all times

Bats are good on the grass where the vibration from the impact isn't going to hurt, but don't try it on the cement. ;frosty; Only kidding, I love snakes...

ian
06-03-2011, 10:39 PM
it's been reported that most snake attacks occur because people try to kill them rather than doing the right thing and letting them get away of cause some snakes are just mean and attack in which case you have every right to bash the daylights out of them

MAGOO
06-03-2011, 10:42 PM
You haven’t come across anything nasty have you Craig, I have seen a few tree snakes nothing brown yet :before

thought I got one the other week with the lawn mower but then it turned out to be a legless lizard and felt bad for the little fella. Had lady say she seem a black snake just after all the rain. but nothing myself

I usually like to make heaps of noise before doing garden cleanups etc so the whipper snipper is pretty hand

Bluey
07-03-2011, 07:11 PM
King Brown I reckon. Taipans have a much more sharper nose.Either way bad news

Bluey
07-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Actually my vote goes to Brown, don't Taipan's have light coloured heads? :i dunno: Whereas a young adult/juvenile brown has a darker grey head which is what the photo looks like.

It sure looks like the brown that I had the misfortune of meeting close up once. Shudder.

Snakes and big a$$ spiders are really the only things that make me go all girly whussy.

I have sean taipans with an all black head. I have also seen them almost black all over then again really olive all over. But I am with you Joanne snakes give me the creeps and if push comes to shove they die, I would rather let them go on their way though

kakegc
07-03-2011, 08:21 PM

They look quite similar in photos Joanne. Disregard the head colour thing, it's not accurate. Having been an outdoors person all my life, I've had quite a few run ins with snakes. Brown snakes are the only ones I've come across that don't seem to have variable colours. They're plain old boring (but deadly!) brown. They can get quite big though. I accidentally all but trod on one on Anstey Hill 2 years ago - HUGE snake! But not aggressive at all. All it wanted was for me to leave it alone & for it to slither off unharmed, which occurred.

When my youngest son was 15 (he's 23 now) we were slashing Spring Hill at Golden Grove & he trod on the tail of a brown snake & panicked! (as you would lol!) we were slashing around & in between very large landscape rocks & all that snake did was try VERY hard to escape. I tried to tell my boy (read yelled at him!) to lift his foot & let the snake go. But he was frozen scared (as would any of us be!) I had to manhandle him off the snake's tail & the snake slithered away, unharmed. My young guy was a very funny colour & he sat down for the rest of the day & has never come out with me since! (who would blame him!)

Tiger snakes are different! I've had 3 run ins with them & the bastards will chase you like a dog! And, to add to the confusion, they are all kinds of colours, not just banded like in pictures.

I've had a Copper Head slither past me whilst I was manning a machine gun on an exercise in the far north of SA & it wasn't the least bit aggressive (scared the **** out of me though!).

Had a snake (species unknown) drop into my gun pit & wrap around my ankle in the dark at night while on exercise in the Hunter Valley. You reckon there was yelling & jumping around that night lol!)

Seen a few Red bellied blacks, they just do the snake equivalent of running away. Not an aggressive bone in them.

Taipans, ahhh, they are VERY aggressive! Not only are they aggressive, the bastards can grow a lot bigger than all of the above. check out the pattern on the scales on the body! TAIPAN!

Brown snake

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.coolcompanions.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/mulga-snake.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coolcompanions.com.au/australian-reptiles/brown-snakes/&usg=__tBb2-_pHLpiZsB4hmQKyPhRRC6M=&h=438&w=620&sz=70&hl=en&start=12&zoom=1&tbnid=NqS9uYRiKccnuM:&tbnh=149&tbnw=223&ei=nKB0TZDNM4ncvwODyOy9AQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbrown%2Bsnake%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa %3DX%26biw%3D1016%26bih%3D625%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C43 2&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=626&oei=l6B0TbmCE5HovQPtnMm_AQ&page=2&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:12&tx=22&ty=54&biw=1016&bih=625

king brown

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/dwellers/324/mulga.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/dwellers/324/snakes.html&h=209&w=312&sz=23&tbnid=JpuXOZaNOhscNM:&tbnh=78&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dking%2Bbrown%2Bsnake&zoom=1&q=king+brown+snake&hl=en&usg=__LSpNe7O-uEr0--iWG4zVxe5LoYI=&sa=X&ei=KaF0TcW8FZH-vQP21ui9AQ&ved=0CCgQ9QEwAQ

taipan

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.smuggled.com/Taipan3b.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.smuggled.com/Taipan3.htm&usg=__fuoWlT3fHUoQMkSHNKI3XtUOHQI=&h=299&w=443&sz=72&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=KEtf-Yn1DZfy0M:&tbnh=143&tbnw=207&ei=WaF0Tdz8MojevwOt7sm_AQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtaipan%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26 biw%3D1016%26bih%3D625%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=138&vpy=278&dur=3375&hovh=184&hovw=273&tx=154&ty=122&oei=WaF0Tdz8MojevwOt7sm_AQ&page=1&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

Andy B
08-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Not entirely true about red belly's, they have a few aggressive bones in them if you're between them and where they want to go. My mate used to always say snakes are usually just as scared of you as you are of them. He was our goto guy for snakes, he'd pick them up when they came in the house and gently walk with them down the paddock to release them while I remained crouched on the top of the sofa waiting for the all clear. :)

gcsmow
08-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Yes, true. I was brush cutting long grass on a bank at the same job where I saw this snake and one popped it's head up and looked at me. It looked just as interested and surprised in me as I was in it.
But then it slithered away and I never saw it again.

I think it's amazing how they can move quickly through grass and not make it move at all.

Not entirely true about red belly's, they have a few aggressive bones in them if you're between them and where they want to go. My mate used to always say snakes are usually just as scared of you as you are of them. He was our goto guy for snakes, he'd pick them up when they came in the house and gently walk with them down the paddock to release them while I remained crouched on the top of the sofa waiting for the all clear. :)

Anjaryan
08-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Does anyone know what type of snake this is ? I'm guessing it is a brown/king brown or Taipan. I was working in Mareeba NQ and hit it with the snipper but It lived.

Cant see it too well, can you go over the "scrub" around it with a mower then take a closer photo???:roll

MAGOO
08-03-2011, 07:14 PM

i was thought the brown especially the King brown was the ones to watch out for the most, still any snake with dark black eyes are usually the ones to watch out for

ian
08-03-2011, 10:23 PM
just be careful of any snake with a forked tongue

courty
10-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Came across our first one today. Little Eastern Brown about 700mm long,he was sitting on the edge of a dense garden bed.He was quite happy to sit there until he figured out our intentions and dissappeared into garden,wouldn't normally try and dispatch them but it was a residential property with kids,so we warned the owner to keep an eye out.

Bgs
15-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Snake dies after biting silicon Breast

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/weird/snake-dies-of-silicon-poisoning-after-biting-israeli-model-orit-foxs-breast/story-e6frep26-1226021600423

Redeye
15-03-2011, 06:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tUvJYtME8es

Bluey
15-03-2011, 07:45 PM

Very true. Where I grew up we had king browns, red belly blacks and tigers. When the red belly blacks are mating don't even try to go near them. They are as aggressive as ****. Worst for aggression though that I have seen though would have to be the tiger. Thank God they don't grow as big as the kingies.

Bluey
15-03-2011, 07:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tUvJYtME8es

Can't say I can blame the snake. I reckon I would bite her too if she was waving those weapons at me.:marilyn

gcsmow
15-03-2011, 10:41 PM
This one wasn't so lucky ! I was using the steel brushcutter disc today. Any idea what this one is ?

edbeek
16-03-2011, 01:10 AM
Looks like the same breed as the first one.
Looks similar to a whip snake with the pale head, big eyes and the body that tapers quickly to the tail, but it's colour looks a bit light.
You can tell an eastern brown if he's accidently died. He has a pale belly with pink/orange blotches.
I don't know about taipans, but his head looks the wrong shape.

Bluey
18-04-2011, 08:10 PM
I was slashing around a fence line on an overgrown jb last week. Grass was about 2 foot high and I am happily slashing away when I uncover a big kick arse lizard in the grass. He pokes his head out pf a hole and wriggles around and I get that instant jump in me legs and tightening of the scalp and spring backwards with a strangled cry. The off sider is not far from me and goes into sympathy mode and does the same. Thank Christ no one was watching. Big huge snake lizard. Should not go about scaring people like that

Benny1
05-04-2012, 10:12 PM
I had an encounter with a red belly in ingleburn about a year or so ago, i saw him, he saw me. we went out own direction ( i jumped on top of my trailer ),

my mother was doing some gardening about 4 months ago in back garden and a huge brown snake sneaked up on her, she had my son sitting next to her, mum won that fight with a shovel, we know that they have a resident red belly down next to there dam, but wasnt aware that there was a brown hanging around.

Mick
05-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Dont hurt the Red Bellies mate! The Cane toads have reduced there numbers big time. They also help keep the Browns away from what Ive been told! RB's will try and get away, Browns scare the syht out of me!
I havent seen a RB in years! A pitty!

Stump
05-04-2012, 11:39 PM
I used to catch and keep "Little Whip Snakes" when I was a kid, eastern brown juveniles look almost identicle with full black heads with light brown bodies. The only difference being a slight division of the black colour on the head. I often pounced on them thinking they were less dangerous whip snakes to add to my collection in my bedroom. Got bored of the whippy's after a while because they were nocturnal, so hardly entertaining.

Blaktop
06-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Unfortunately the best thing to do generally when you come across a snake is totally against all human instinct.....stand still. They have a great sense of smell so they know you're there and they know you're not food.....but they have crappy eyesight.....a sudden movement can induce a reactive strike which may or may not include venom (they don't always inject venom with a bite.....venom is not actually to kill the prey but to digest it)......mostly if you're a metre or more away, they can't see you.....just slowly back away. Spring time is a good time to be cautious, the first decent bit of warm weather gets them going from winter hibernation and they can be a bit antsy.

Colour is not a good indication.....I have seen bright green Mulga snakes (Mulga is a brown snake which actually belongs to the black snake family and requires black snake anti-venom) with a black head. A few years ago there were heaps of them around in Alice Springs......I took a pic and show it to Rex from the Reptile Centre.....he identified it.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
06-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Very true. Where I grew up we had king browns, red belly blacks and tigers. When the red belly blacks are mating don't even try to go near them. They are as aggressive as ****. Worst for aggression though that I have seen though would have to be the tiger. Thank God they don't grow as big as the kingies.

Came across a couple of tigers at the end of jan. Got told the same thing blue lucky it wasn't breeding season. I knew what they were but most people don't realise that tigers can be a dark grey color.

edbeek
07-04-2012, 09:04 AM
I heard a story from a rural client last week.
Apparently Mum & the kids were loading up the wagon for a trip, and saw a brown snake nearby. Got rid of the kids and lost track of the snake and thought it might have gone into the vehicle.
Called a neighbour and the local snake handler who came out and checked things out. Went through the vehicle with mirrors etc and were 99% sure that the snake wasn't in there.
After a while, they started loading up again, and a 7' brown crawled out of the vehicle and went on it's way.

I don't know if it was actually in the cabin or in the underbody/engine, but could have easily ended in tragedy. Imagine driving along the road with kids in the car and a brown pokes it's head out.