PDA

View Full Version : Makita 4-Stroke Brushcutters and Trimmers

PaulG
18-03-2011, 12:15 PM
There's been plenty of talk about the Robin-engined Makita two strokes of late but does anyone know much about the four stroke Makitas? The model numbers for these start with EM or EBH. Anyone know who is making the 4-stroke engines for them?

Until now I've only seen the Makita 4-strokes on eBay USA but I just found and Aussie supplier who also list a 33cc 4 stroke and a backpack unit.

In America the 24cc unit has the code EM4250 and would cost about $530 shipped here.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120686553753&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

What looks like the similar Aussie model is coded EBH251U and costs $589 + freight.

http://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/weed-eaters/makita-ebh251u-petrol-brushcutter-4-stroke.html

I think though for more serious brushcutting work the 33cc unit @ $648 would be the minimum required.

http://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/weed-eaters/makita-ebh341u-petrol-brushcutter-4-stroke.html

Redeye
18-03-2011, 02:14 PM
I'd be getting the RBC3100 two stroke myself. Don't like 4 stroke hand tools, they don't rev out enough when the going gets tough, tend to bog down IMO. I got a chinese 52cc ebay job that will damn near take a tree down - cost about $150-170 delivered - bull bar handles & power to burn, quite heavy though, only for real feral stuff

PaulG
18-03-2011, 06:15 PM
That's what I'm after. Something with a bit of grunt for the occassional clearing/slashing job. I figure a harness and bull handles has got to be better to use for this than a D-handle. My current brushie/trimmer is a 26cc D-handled Jonsered and I want something with a bit more grunt that will take a good blade or thicker trimmer line.

AL73
18-03-2011, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=PaulG;66565]There's been plenty of talk about the Robin-engined Makita two strokes of late but does anyone know much about the four stroke Makitas? The model numbers for these start with EM or EBH. Anyone know who is making the 4-stroke engines for them?

Pity your not in Vic Paul, I'm currently organising a Makita demo day where I'm sure this question amongst others will be answered.
Anyhow when I worked for them all their 4 stroke stuff was rebadged Dolmar which itself is good quality german engineered equipment. I have a 4 stroke Makita back pack brushie which I am very happy with. Havent used the blade on it yet but have been more than happy with its performance with line.

Cheers
Alex

PaulG
18-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Are you having the 4-stroke models at the demo Alex. The online mob above are the only ones I've found so far in Australia that stock them.

AL73
18-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Are you having the 4-stroke models at the demo Alex. The online mob above are the only ones I've found so far in Australia that stock them.

Yes Paul, will have their whole range. Log on to Makita's website and find an OPE dealer near you. There will be one somewhere not to far and buy through them.
If you need any help let me know.

gcsmow
18-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Robin make the 4 stroke engines as well, I have the 25cc loop handle straight shaft trimmer and for normal maintenance trimming it is great, plenty of power and revs, light, well balanced I don't really have a bad word to say about mine, just remember to change the oil because it only holds 80ml and it gets black pretty quick. I wouldn't recommend one for the tough stuff. I use a Cheapo Pope 33cc for the feral stuff and for the price
($148.00 Big W) they are a bloody good machine I have certainly re-couped my purchase price.

I strongly recommend Makita 4 stroke hend held blowers as well.... But I now have a Shindaiwa C4 backpack and that is just fantastic.

Try Dahlsens if you have one near you.

Cheers, Glenn.

PaulG
18-03-2011, 11:20 PM
Cheers Glenn. I actually just came across the thread from last year where you where talking about your 4-stroke Makita.

gcsmow
18-03-2011, 11:30 PM
no worries, they are good..... get one !! I've got a 33 cc 4 stroke as well but it needs to rev a bit more. I tried to convert it from bull handle to loop handle but I think I am going to have to go back to bull handle again.

I don't like bull handles ..... personal opinion. Back pack is better.

knute
27-03-2011, 06:31 AM
i just ordered the 34cc 1 from united tools

$499 for the loop handled model

and $50 cashback for apprentices :-)

do they not rev as high as the 2 strokes? or is it the firing rate which just makes it sound like they are revving slower?

gcsmow
27-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Probably a bit of both, I would say the revs are adequate for normal residential jobs.

knute
05-04-2011, 11:03 AM
from the manual EBH34L 33.5cc 4 stroke

"max rotational frequency of the spindle ... 6,850 min -1 " min -1? rpm maybe
"engine speed at recommended max spindle speed ... 10,000 min -1 "
"max engine performance ... 1.07 kw at 7,000 min -1 "

figures from the manual for my 15 y/o Husqvana 232R trimmer are

30.8 cc 2 stroke
spindle speed 7,660 rpm
engine speed at max spindle speed (max revs i guess) 10,800 rpm
engine performance 1.1kw at 7,800 rpm,

that's the only comparison i can make, but i am very pleased with my makita. almost don't need earmuffs as it's so quiet

gcsmow
05-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Do you have a loop handle or bull horns ?

knute
07-04-2011, 08:33 PM
i have the loop handle model

i've written about it in the review section

i like it, even if rob doesn't ;-)

MowerRob
07-04-2011, 08:40 PM
i have the loop handle model

i've written about it in the review section

i like it, even if rob doesn't ;-)

:shifty:p:dean:

kakegc
07-04-2011, 09:48 PM
I'd be getting the RBC3100 two stroke myself. Don't like 4 stroke hand tools, they don't rev out enough when the going gets tough, tend to bog down IMO. I got a chinese 52cc ebay job that will damn near take a tree down - cost about $150-170 delivered - bull bar handles & power to burn, quite heavy though, only for real feral stuff

52cc whip??? Jeeezusss chriiist! I got a 33cc Chinese one & it's a beast, 52cc................ serial killer....... :)

South East Mowing
11-04-2011, 07:30 PM
[QUOTE=PaulG;66565]There's been plenty of talk about the Robin-engined Makita two strokes of late but does anyone know much about the four stroke Makitas? The model numbers for these start with EM or EBH. Anyone know who is making the 4-stroke engines for them?

Pity your not in Vic Paul, I'm currently organising a Makita demo day where I'm sure this question amongst others will be answered.
Anyhow when I worked for them all their 4 stroke stuff was rebadged Dolmar which itself is good quality german engineered equipment. I have a 4 stroke Makita back pack brushie which I am very happy with. Havent used the blade on it yet but have been more than happy with its performance with line.

Cheers
Alex
Have we got a demo day date yet??

AL73
11-04-2011, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=AL73;66580]
Have we got a demo day date yet??

Have got to confirm it with Mick the rep, but looking at maybe Thursday 12th or 19th of May late afternoon he was trying to get in at Caribean Gardens last time we spoke or if not at their storage facility at Knox.
Will let everyone know more as soon as I can.

Cheers
Alex

South East Mowing
11-04-2011, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=Lawnmowing Wheelers Hill;67988]

Have got to confirm it with Mick the rep, but looking at maybe Thursday 12th or 19th of May late afternoon he was trying to get in at Caribean Gardens last time we spoke or if not at their storage facility at Knox.
Will let everyone know more as soon as I can.

Cheers
Alex

Got a large contract I will know about early next week. IF I get it I will be needing soon 2 x b/pack brushcutters & MAYBE 1 B/Pack blower if they are any good, otherwise I will get them offshore - probably shindy bp35 and shindy eb802rt. I know the shindy blowers are fantastic, b/cutters not sure about but the price is good.