PDA

View Full Version : New Mower, what now?

C.O.R.Y.S
02-04-2011, 08:13 AM
I just bought my first commercial mower, a Rover 560SP with the B&S 850I/C. Got it for a decent price in Tamworth on the drive back up from Sydney with my new van and trailer. (picked the trailer up near Ipswich) So my question is what now? Is there anything I should do to it or tips or tricks any of you guys have regarding it before I get out there and start working with it?

Fred's mowing
02-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Wack ya earmuffs on:D
Cheers Fred.

PaulG
02-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Double check the shop has put oil in it! And just give it a general check over and make sure the various bolts are all tight.

You certainly travelled far and wide to get your gear.

C.O.R.Y.S
02-04-2011, 11:52 AM
your not wrong paul! my old man retired from his courier run last year so he gave me his van for nothing. to good of an oppurtunity to pass up but it just meant a long drive to get it back up here! found a great deal on a trailer near grantham so picked it up on the way, drove right through towoomba to on our way out to roma then up the inland route back to tv. had a look in nearly every mower shop each time we stopped looking for a bargin, only found the mower but it was a good price for the exact one i was after and no one in tv had it in stock anyway so i didnt have to wait. its definately got oil and ive had it running, just wasnt sure if there was anything else i should do or tricks some guys have before taking it out for a thrashing.

cap
02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
A coat of car polish on the chassis and anything else that will buff up to a smooth finish. This stops alot of stuff sticking to the mower and makes cleaning up an easier job.

I normally do this once or twice a month, doesn't take long to do but certainly helps.

Congrats on your purchase.

Gremlins Property Services
03-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Found this review on the rover, not putting it down but a look at the areas may help.

"Pros: Does a great job, nice finish to the lawn

Cons: Poor quality. Within 6 months of ownership, drive cable broke, catcher handle broke, rear wheels spin inside tyres, roll pin through drive axle broke, rear wheel bearings collapsed, original star washers which hold the wheels on kept working loose - replacements hold good, and blades are expensive

Overall: Works well but let down by poor quality. I understand the are built in Australia and China. Mine was built in China..... "

gcsmow
04-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I think the main thing is to clean it and keep the maintenance up to it AFTER you have taken it out for a thrashing. Change engine oil fairly soon after you use it, go and get one of those $30.00 mower oil change kits from Bunnings so you can suck it out through the dipstick, saves you crawling around on the floor like a cockroach (they can't play footy either) :laughing:

your not wrong paul! my old man retired from his courier run last year so he gave me his van for nothing. to good of an oppurtunity to pass up but it just meant a long drive to get it back up here! found a great deal on a trailer near grantham so picked it up on the way, drove right through towoomba to on our way out to roma then up the inland route back to tv. had a look in nearly every mower shop each time we stopped looking for a bargin, only found the mower but it was a good price for the exact one i was after and no one in tv had it in stock anyway so i didnt have to wait. its definately got oil and ive had it running, just wasnt sure if there was anything else i should do or tricks some guys have before taking it out for a thrashing.

C.O.R.Y.S
04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Copy that gcs. Already got a siphon kit and the guy I got it from was pretty good talking me through everything they do in the 5 hour service as I obviously wouldn't be taking it back to him.

DavidS
04-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Found this review on the rover, not putting it down but a look at the areas may help.

"Pros: Does a great job, nice finish to the lawn

Cons: Poor quality. Within 6 months of ownership, drive cable broke, catcher handle broke, rear wheels spin inside tyres, roll pin through drive axle broke, rear wheel bearings collapsed, original star washers which hold the wheels on kept working loose - replacements hold good, and blades are expensive

Overall: Works well but let down by poor quality. I understand the are built in Australia and China. Mine was built in China..... "

Don't know who did this review but they must have a lemon as mine has been brillant for the last two years.
What you need to do is to remove the hub caps and the little red covers on the rear wheels and blow out the drive gears on a regular basis, plus a few drops of oil every two weeks does not go astray, also lubricate the cables regularly. I would recommend the 560 or the 510 SP to anyone.

stptow
05-04-2011, 03:50 PM
i take wheels off once a week, clean drive pawls & remove any debris in wheels.
i use graphite powder instead of oil, oil tends to collect dirt & wear out drive components faster. with drive pin breaking my shop welded the cog on as once mower used for a while the hole pin goes thru gets sloppy & then pin breaks quicker.
also keep drive chain greased.

administrator
05-04-2011, 04:07 PM
i take wheels off once a week, clean drive pawls & remove any debris in wheels.
i use graphite powder instead of oil, oil tends to collect dirt & wear out drive components faster. with drive pin breaking my shop welded the cog on as once mower used for a while the hole pin goes thru gets sloppy & then pin breaks quicker.
also keep drive chain greased.

Serious design fault there if you have to do that with the back wheels all the time .

stptow
07-04-2011, 05:59 PM
dirt gets in when wheel seals wear ,no way to stop this.
also i use my machine on every lawn, one week 50 lawns other week 55.
this is equivalent to 1 yr domestic use.takes me 10 minutes to do this, small price to pay compared to putting in shop