PDA

View Full Version : Mans best friend

C.O.R.Y.S
06-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Does anyone take their dog to work with them? Also why not everyone post a pic of their beloved mutts regardless? Ill start with my boy Marty. He is a 3yr old Sth African Boerboel Mastiff.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
06-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Last thing i want is to spend anymore time with the ex.. lol

Bluey
06-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Oh dear...now that is cruel here is my 2 best girls

C.O.R.Y.S
06-04-2011, 10:25 PM
nice one bluey. i was starting to think everyone else in here must be cat people! """shudder""":frightene

RSM-Gazza
06-04-2011, 11:21 PM
No, I will not take him with me on any rounds, although two rural customers have asked to bring him when his ready to explore more.
I have enough to worry about when doing jobs, let alone ensuring alls OK with a dog in tow.
But I do drop in home during rounds when I can to give a pat or two and a treat if no further landscaping works have been performed by him.

He is a top dog and I'm training him to sit out in me shed with me at night when the AFL is on. Training side of things is to teach him the danger of shed log fire heaters.

His name is Charlie and he also has one of those longer breeder registered title names, but Charlie will do.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/100_5579.jpg

This was posted the other week in Gen Chat.
http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/100_5609-Copy.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy295/fish475/100_5564.jpg

RSM-Gazza
06-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Hey, Marty certainly has a lot character in his facial expressions.
Looks like one fit/healthy loyal Buddy to have and treasure.

danz
07-04-2011, 11:50 PM
My staffy gets so excited every morning when we get ready to mow i take him everywhere and when i use my zero turn he sits between my legs, i have had 5 customers take photos of him on the mower in the last month as they just love him... yeah yeah what about safety blah blah. Let me tell you if i couldn't take him i would give up the game simple.... I'll post a pic tomorrow... Nice photo's guys, Bluey's caught my attention lol...

South East Mowing
08-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Does anyone take their dog to work with them? Also why not everyone post a pic of their beloved mutts regardless? Ill start with my boy Marty. He is a 3yr old Sth African Boerboel Mastiff.

Not a hope in hell of getting him to come to work with me. There would be a few brawls in the neighbour everytime we stopped!
Here are a few pics of the little fella!!
8 yr old Akita Rebel

Bluey
08-04-2011, 10:20 PM
He looks cool John. Big boy.

SouthCoast Walker
08-04-2011, 10:23 PM
My old blue heeler used to mow all day on my Nayjon 72" outfront and even sleep on the engine hood at night. My new model, now nine years old is too noisy to take to work, he gets too excited in the truck and barks.

geoff
08-04-2011, 10:24 PM
geez john would hate to mow your back yard after he has done his bit lol

South East Mowing
09-04-2011, 09:43 AM
geez john would hate to mow your back yard after he has done his bit lol

Yeah, but it encourages me to walk him nightly. He happens to clean himself out during some good exercise. Oooppppppppsss, but most of the grass is overgrown in Doveton area:laughing:

Grassman177
10-04-2011, 01:17 PM
here is some of my girls.

love the hound dogs

ian
15-04-2011, 08:00 PM
now i think this might beat leaving the dog to protect the car http://news.ninemsn.com.au/viralvacuum/glance/159319/tiger-takes-a-ride-around-town.glance

Andy B
15-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Here's my two boof heads. Back in the days when I first moved down here before the new trailer. I take one of them when it's cool enough, and spend heaps less time unlocking and locking stuff up.

C.O.R.Y.S
15-04-2011, 10:28 PM
now i think this might beat leaving the dog to protect the car http://news.ninemsn.com.au/viralvacuum/glance/159319/tiger-takes-a-ride-around-town.glance

lol thats pretty much Martys favourite thing in the world! and i hear ya about locking stuff up Andy. was kinda why i asked my initial question in my post. I figure anyone game enough to reach into my trailer or the back of my van when there is a 65kg beast smiling at them can have whatever he wants if he doesnt mind swapping an arm for it!

Christine Wharton
16-04-2011, 01:22 PM
Here's my two boof heads. Back in the days when I first moved down here before the new trailer. I take one of them when it's cool enough, and spend heaps less time unlocking and locking stuff up.

Thery look like they would be good theft deterrants

Redeye
16-04-2011, 03:36 PM
nice Andy - love shepherds

Bluey
18-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Andy....I have come up with what your dogs are thinking.

Dog on the left. "If he touches the mower I am going to bite him"
Dog on the right. " No let me bite him...please"

Grassman177
27-04-2011, 11:56 AM
my dogs are too wussy to stay around lawn equipment!! hahah

Bluey
27-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Saw an Indy today with a big kick arse german sheperd as I was on my way to a quote. He was mowing a pretty big front yard and the dog was around the corner investigating the area. Totally out of sight and sound. Not very good responsible dog management if you ask me. Plus as fine for wandering at large straight up if Council came along. I know it was his dog as he was loading up his ute when I came back and the dog was in the back. I would be too worried about what might happen to take my dog to work. Enough trouble looking after the offsider let alone a dog. But to each their own.

South East Mowing
27-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Saw an Indy today with a big kick arse german sheperd as I was on my way to a quote. He was mowing a pretty big front yard and the dog was around the corner investigating the area. Totally out of sight and sound. Not very good responsible dog management if you ask me. Plus as fine for wandering at large straight up if Council came along. I know it was his dog as he was loading up his ute when I came back and the dog was in the back. I would be too worried about what might happen to take my dog to work. Enough trouble looking after the offsider let alone a dog. But to each their own.

As you know Bluey, there is a big difference with a Sheperd and an Akita. A sheperd is more like the boy in the front row at class getting top marks and praise from the teachers while the Akita is a little more like the one in the back row looking for attention and a little trouble. He will pay attention when you are "on his case" but given the first chance he just has to see what else is happening. He is so very inquisitive and always checking things out.
When I leave Rebel at boarding the guy who runs it always gives Rebel to the new trainers because he knows how to do everything but when a newer trainer has him he just has to "test" him:laughing::laughing: Sheperds and Akitas are very much different - Sheperds eager to please, intelligent and very obedient if trained right- Akitas, somewhat the same but maybe not so obedient with some aggressive traits. So taking them to work unless you have them extremely well trained could cause real problems and even if they are really well trained they can always cause problems for a person who does not have knowledge. Saying that you have to be really sure your dog is trained well to let them off lead but you "must" still have them under your control - by the sounds of things the sheperd wasnt.

Bluey
27-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Yeah I know what you mean John. Tash is pretty good under voice command but I would hate to see what she would do if a cat or small dog presented itself in front of her out of my line of sight.

Andy B
27-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Hey Courty, totally agree with you if some low life is game to stick their hand into a vehicle or yard with a dog like that it's a fair trade. And it's one less meal you have to pay for. :)

Andy B
27-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah I know what you mean John. Tash is pretty good under voice command but I would hate to see what she would do if a cat or small dog presented itself in front of her out of my line of sight.

Me too, mine are good at home or out in the bush or on a lead but if they are into something a call or whistle won't stop them in their tracks, sure they'll come back but after they've scared the crap out of whatever they're into and it's submitted. I had a kelpie years ago that would stop and drop anywhere anytime but I believe the key there was that I'd had it since it was 6 weeks old not over 12mths like mine now. Too many bad habits need to be corrected and it's challenging at a distance if you let them wander.

Mrs HMS
27-04-2011, 08:53 PM
It was fun the two of us trying to train three 40kg rotti's to stop in their tracks like that (not) but we got there. I miss those dogs they were gorgeous.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
27-04-2011, 09:06 PM

I had a council guy one day pull up well i was mowing a yard and tell me he was going to fine me for having my shepard runnning around with no lead. I told him it wasnt mine but if he couldnt find a owner here is my card ill take him when the time is up, never got a call so i assume the owner eventully picked him up from the pound. seriously i dont think i would have a dog if it wasnt a shepard or cattle dog maybe a labradore but some of these over grown rats my customers have i think what a waste of dog food. I dont know if it is cause i was raised on a farm or just that i expect to get what i pay for but a animal should earn its keep the cat collects rats the only reason he hasnt dissapeared. If i got a dog i would expect it to let me know if soome one was around and if it was some one suss especially one of the ones with a blue shirt than it should chase them off.

Redeye
28-04-2011, 11:05 AM
totally agree with you TLLG - shepherd or blue/red, I also have no time for upholstered rats.....or cats

Bluey
28-04-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't trust cattle dogs. I was brought up on a sheep and cattle station and cattle dogs are sneaky biting buggers.

Andy B
28-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't trust cattle dogs. I was brought up on a sheep and cattle station and cattle dogs are sneaky biting buggers.

Any heal will do. ;)

Went to a place today, for crying out loud I'm a dog lover but I felt sick. Lady had 5 full sized poodles in the house and there was sh1t and p1ss everywhere. Her comment was "lucky I have floor boards." Unbelievable, I had to hold my breath it was feral! How do people live like that??? :i dunno:

South East Mowing
28-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Extra hot chili in their favorite piece of meat can do the trick. Have a few really good ones but don't think I can post them on a public forum!!!:laughing::laughing:
I agree with bluey though, healers especially are the ones likely to nip you when your not looking!! Got me a few times the buggars - doesnt tickle either!

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
19-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Will hopefully post some pictures tomorrow, have a new 2 1/2 year old border collie. She is absolutely beautiful. Loves coming in the car and such a nice natured dog.
After leaving her for 2 hours in the house for 2 hours the other day, I can forgive her for destroying $2000 worth of blinds but she only wanted to come with me and it was probably too soon to leave her by herself.
Still.... the thought of sending her back never crossed my mind. I have never had a dog like her. The whole family absolutely love her..........well everyone but the cat!

Stump
20-07-2011, 07:18 PM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/Dean_071/BrockOscar.jpg
This is my Stafford Oscar. I used to do alot of obedience trialling with him before I retired him.
And my older Bull Terrier Beejay.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/Dean_071/2006105.jpg

South East Mowing
20-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Will hopefully post some pictures tomorrow, have a new 2 1/2 year old border collie. She is absolutely beautiful. Loves coming in the car and such a nice natured dog.
After leaving her for 2 hours in the house for 2 hours the other day, I can forgive her for destroying $2000 worth of blinds but she only wanted to come with me and it was probably too soon to leave her by herself.
Still.... the thought of sending her back never crossed my mind. I have never had a dog like her. The whole family absolutely love her..........well everyone but the cat!

You wanna know how smart those dogs are Cranbourne!! Smart enough to know what she has just done and likely to keep doing similar unless she gets the training and exercise of body and mind she needs as a working dog.

'Wikipedia" -The Border Collie is a herding dog breed developed in the Anglo-Scottish border region for herding livestock, especially sheep. It is the most widespread of the collie breeds.

Typically extremely energetic, acrobatic, and athletic, they frequently compete with great success in dog sports, in addition to their success in sheepdog trials, and are often cited as the most intelligent of all dogs.[1]

In January 2011, a Border Collie was reported to have learned 1,022 words, and acts consequently to human citation of those words.

Bluey
21-07-2011, 06:42 AM
With border collies if you don't wear them out they will wreck you house and garden. My brother in law had two. They really are not suited for urban environment unless you take that extra time everyday to exercise them. They are so energetic. My brother in laws last one used to round up the fish in his pond

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
21-07-2011, 01:53 PM
That is something that concerns me but apparently the long haired collies can be a bit less energetic. She is getting a lot of exercise and attention. She needs the exercise anyway, she is a few kilo overweight.

The intelligence is very obvious. She learns very fast and takes a keen interest in things that I wouldn't have thought a dog would take any interest in.

Hopefully things will work out. Other than the blinds there is no other problems...yet.

DavidS
21-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Glen I have a 2 1/2 year old Border Collie. I don't take her every were with me but she does love to go to the tip with me. I walk her for an hour every night and she is fine the next day. I went away for a week and she dug 5 holes in my back lawn and chewed up a heap of pots I had set aside for growing on Bonsai. Very intelligent dog,when she gets out in the paddocks she rounds up sheep and anything else. When she is walking along the road she behaves like a dog that went to doggy school. She will push the point to learn what she can and can't get away with.
Cheers David

Andy B
22-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Piccy Cranbourne???:wave-hi:

Stump those dogs of yours look like good solid dogs, bet that staffy is a proud family member!

Stump
22-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah AndyB, He loves the kids. I have 5 skin kids, and all of them have tested his temperemant over the years, and he has never blinked an eyelid at them.
He only hates the cat, which i'm sure he learned from me.

Bluey
22-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah AndyB, He loves the kids. I have 5 skin kids, and all of them have tested his temperemant over the years, and he has never blinked an eyelid at them.
He only hates the cat, which i'm sure he learned from me.

Have to ask this...what is a 5 skin kid?????

South East Mowing
22-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Glen I have a 2 1/2 year old Border Collie. I don't take her every were with me but she does love to go to the tip with me. I walk her for an hour every night and she is fine the next day. I went away for a week and she dug 5 holes in my back lawn and chewed up a heap of pots I had set aside for growing on Bonsai. Very intelligent dog,when she gets out in the paddocks she rounds up sheep and anything else. When she is walking along the road she behaves like a dog that went to doggy school. She will push the point to learn what she can and can't get away with.
Cheers David
I just left rebel in a kennel that is just starting to get used to him. Even though he is great with people (for an Akita) he is 55+ kilos and only 1 guy is really confident with him doing anything extra. I asked if anyone could have a go bathing him before I pick him up:laughing::laughing:should be interesting.
He also will push everyone as he knows what he is doing but really does not want to be told to do anything-you need to know him or know Akitas:)

Fred's mowing
23-07-2011, 12:12 AM

Its a 4skin kid, with a little extra!:D
Cheers Fred.

Bluey
23-07-2011, 06:20 AM
I just left rebel in a kennel that is just starting to get used to him. Even though he is great with people (for an Akita) he is 55+ kilos and only 1 guy is really confident with him doing anything extra. I asked if anyone could have a go bathing him before I pick him up:laughing::laughing:should be interesting.
He also will push everyone as he knows what he is doing but really does not want to be told to do anything-you need to know him or know Akitas:)

You should see if there is someone like my wife over your way John. She does pet minding at the dogs house. Not pet sitting where the people stay at your place but she attends for however many visits a day the people want to pay for. It is much easier on animals such as Rebel. They are in their own environment and stresses them out less. Plus she does the security check of the house at the same time.

Andy B
23-07-2011, 09:19 AM
You should see if there is someone like my wife over your way John. She does pet minding at the dogs house. Not pet sitting where the people stay at your place but she attends for however many visits a day the people want to pay for. It is much easier on animals such as Rebel. They are in their own environment and stresses them out less. Plus she does the security check of the house at the same time.

Great idea! We have a friend do this and my dogs love her, takes some of the stress etc out of going away. One time my father in law picked up his dog from a kennel a day early and within a hour or so realized they had drugged the dog with out telling him. He rang them and they admitted it saying he would stop barking...

Stump
23-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Skin kids = Children
Fur kids = dogs

South East Mowing
23-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Great idea! We have a friend do this and my dogs love her, takes some of the stress etc out of going away. One time my father in law picked up his dog from a kennel a day early and within a hour or so realized they had drugged the dog with out telling him. He rang them and they admitted it saying he would stop barking...

thought of that but most people wont go near him in his territory unless they know a lot about training as he is VERY hard to deal with when i am not around. Take him out of his territory with someone who has training knowledge and he can be handled - and this place has 1 guy who now knows him. PLUS he likes to boss a few other dogs around even if it is behind a fence:)

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
02-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Finally, some pictures of the blind destroyer.39113912

Bluey
02-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Ahhh....she couldn't be a blind destroyer. Look at her butter wouldn't melt in her mouth.

Leon241
20-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Here's my two. Everyone presumes Oscar (white) is a girl and Rani (Rotti) is boy but it's the opposite!4481 4482.

Oscar was a stray from the pound, beautiful but is a wanderer. Rani is my baby and would love to work with me but I wouldn't be able to concentrate with her there!

Neil&family
20-02-2012, 06:25 PM
looks to be very kid friendly. Just put my old mate down on friday. rotty that would not hurt a fly if you had good intentions and he knew the difference. 13.5 years old and geez he had a good life. Not a bad effort for a big dog.

Leon241
20-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Gotta love the Rottys. Always wanted one after growing up with my neighbour's "Rambo." We'd jump the fence to play with him coz his owners were never home and never walked them.

Rani is awesome with the girls, sometimes hits them with her tail! and although she's friendly she won't let anyone pat her through the gate. Even the postie who feeds them both!

Bit annoying when people walking other dogs cross the street even though she's on a lead and under good control.

Bluey
20-02-2012, 07:22 PM
looks to be very kid friendly. Just put my old mate down on friday. rotty that would not hurt a fly if you had good intentions and he knew the difference. 13.5 years old and geez he had a good life. Not a bad effort for a big dog.

Thats sad to hear Neil. It is the hardest thing to do. I have owned 3 Rotti's in my time. My best friend Chaka. He was a huge rotti and knew it. Any new people coming into the yard got escorted by him with their hand firmly but gently held in his teeth. We used to play rugby and he revelled at taking me out. He could lay you flat easily then lay on your chest licking you. He was a great dog. I still miss him and he has been gone 14 yrs now. Our girl now is Tash and she is an Akita....I love her to bits but she is on her last legs 13.5 yrs....I hate the fact that they die so soon. I would rather them than half the people I have come across in my life.

Leon....enjoy and respect those two and good on you for taking Oscar on. He will repay 1000's of times over.

Mrs HMS
20-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Oh I love Rani, she's beautiful. How old?

We had Rottis for years, my girl was a german import but she was the runt of the litter so the breeder couldn't sell her. She came to us as an adult dog and was the most placid thing but stood for absolutely nobody threatening her family or her property (and where we lived at the time, that happened a lot).

She eventually died of old age at 12 after having her first litter (unplanned, the tart) at age 10. Broke our hearts when I found her, we both cried like babies. Vowed I'd never have another dog after that.

She thought she was human.

Bluey
20-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Oh I love Rani, she's beautiful. How old?

We had Rottis for years, my girl was a german import but she was the runt of the litter so the breeder couldn't sell her. She came to us as an adult dog and was the most placid thing but stood for absolutely nobody threatening her family or her property (and where we lived at the time, that happened a lot).

She eventually died of old age at 12 after having her first litter (unplanned, the tart) at age 10. Broke our hearts when I found her, we both cried like babies. Vowed I'd never have another dog after that.

She thought she was human.

And she was Jo...just better looking than our kind. I hate it when people throw dog outside and feed them trash once or twice a week. In our family the furkids are treated properly.

Fred's mowing
20-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Yer, I know how u all feel.
My staffy is now 12 & although she's in good health, she wont go on forever.
I'll have had her from start to finish,dont know if I could get another:i dunno::sad:.
Cheers Fred.

BLACK BEAR
20-02-2012, 07:54 PM
And she was Jo...just better looking than our kind. I hate it when people throw dog outside and feed them trash once or twice a week. In our family the furkids are treated properly.

My little fella is also - just not allowed on the leather lounge or bed. Most other places in the house are fair game. He also knows if he is going to let anyone in NOT to let em out!:cool:

Mrs HMS
20-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Our Rotti wasn't supposed to go on the bed either, she had her own at the foot of ours. Many a night one or the other of us would say...oi! Do you think you have enough bed...only to find she'd snuck up whilst we were asleep and we were being edged out by 40kg of Rotti.

Fred's mowing
20-02-2012, 08:05 PM
2 w/ends back. Saw the biggest dog Ive ever seen.
Kilcunda pub, out on the deck.
Had to ask the owner, he said dont worry, everyone asks.
The dogs a mastiff (not a bullmastiff) & its just under 100kg:wtf.
Cheers Fred.

Mrs HMS
20-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Faaaark, that's an adult male human in a dog suit.

ian
20-02-2012, 09:47 PM
walked into a backyard once and the client was looking after his daughters great dane dobberman cross this thing was all doberman except the size of a great dane luckily she was also friendly

Leon241
21-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Rani is 7 and going strong. She'll chase a ball all day, but the next will be so stiff and sore that she'll limp badly. Lucky she's so small or she wouldn't be able to run as much as she does.

She is so devoted to me and the family, it's awesome, although she does get some separation anxiety if she can't see me!

Gotta love having dogs, make life worth living.

Kathryn
21-02-2012, 03:23 PM

you never get over losing a dog. they have their own special place in the family

Kathryn
21-02-2012, 04:08 PM
hmm. just had to pick my 'best friend' from the pound

South East Mowing
21-02-2012, 09:01 PM
4485 This little fella seems to be getting a little bigger. Back to 5klm nightly walks

Dont think the wife has worked out the new iphone yet:cool: seems a little bright to me!

Kathryn
10-01-2013, 08:55 PM
5893my new pup percy and his new big bro bob. Got his this arvo

Kathryn
10-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Oops sily smart phone5894

ian
10-01-2013, 09:40 PM
while i will say i think they're much better looking than the 1st photo

South East Mowing
20-04-2016, 10:38 PM
4485 This little fella seems to be getting a little bigger. Back to 5klm nightly walks

Dont think the wife has worked out the new iphone yet:cool: seems a little bright to me!

Rebel was finally put down on 20/3/16 - 13 yrs.

Wife desperately wanted one looking similar so this is probably the new fella - at 9 weeks. One of only 3 in the litter and was the biggest. Breeder deciding between him and his sister of which to keep. 8796

The new girl we will get when he is about 12 months old - she will hopefully have a full black mask!

Hey Bluey - any pics of your new mate??

Bluey
21-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Sorry to hear about Rebel mate. It hard to lose them. The new bloke looks a treat. Heres one of Akira as she is now8797

South East Mowing
22-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear about Rebel mate. It hard to lose them. The new bloke looks a treat. Heres one of Akira as she is now8797

Nice looking dog Bluey. The next one we get in 12 months will be a girl and will have a full black mask similar to yours.
Annie wanted one similar looking to Rebel. I like them with the full black mask.
Just happened to be in luck with Monarkin kennels in Vic. Shot off another email just as I was ready to buy a ticket to Tassie to check some out.
This one I think will be a big boy like Rebel. Dad wasn't really big but mum was. He was the biggest of only three in the litter.

Now the fun starts for about 12 months.

Bluey
22-04-2016, 08:48 PM
Yep they are a handfull as a pup but I wouldn't have any other breed now. Akira has her own personality. Totally different to what Tash was but in some way very similar. I dont think I would have a male. Cant stand them pissing on everything.

South East Mowing
01-05-2016, 11:14 PM
Rebel was finally put down on 20/3/16 - 13 yrs.

Wife desperately wanted one looking similar so this is probably the new fella - at 9 weeks. One of only 3 in the litter and was the biggest. Breeder deciding between him and his sister of which to keep. 8796

The new girl we will get when he is about 12 months old - she will hopefully have a full black mask!

Hey Bluey - any pics of your new mate??

Picked up the new little fella! 17 kgs at 10 weeks of age:wtf
Was told he was the biggest in a small litter of 3, so looks like he could be quite a size

Mow And Go
02-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Picked up a rescued GSD yesterday ...6 mths old, poor thing has had no training apart from being hit. Quite a smart girl though. Will post a pic later. Beautiful colouring on her, with some proper training I'm confident she will be a star