PDA

View Full Version : "Soot" in Lawn http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/images/smilies/smiley-sign0085.gif

Redlandsguy
07-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I came across something on 2 lawns I mowed today that I would like some help to identify. These lawns were not near, being a couple of suburbs apart. Both lawns had previously been mowed by different mowers so I don't think it is something I bought in and haven't come across it anywhere else as yet.

Both lawns had small patches approximately 6 inches in across of what I can only describe as looking like black soot in the couch. These were both in a small area of the lawn and didn't cover the lot. On one it was partially shaded area near a 6 foot paling fence and the other was in the open in full sun. This "soot" was an extremely fine powder like talcum with no apparent reason for being there. I assume it was relatively heavy as when I had a good look at it on the second lawn, I stirred it up with my boot and it didn't float, just resettled. My first thought when I saw the first one in a strip I had just mowed was oil, possibly from the mower. Then others kept coming up and I started to worry about the mower but the patches were only in a small section of the strip I was mowing and ruled this out. Another thought was puff balls which put out a similar sooty powder but it generally is very light and gets easily carried on the breeze, besides I didn't see any around. I didn't have a camera with me to take any pictures but I hope that my description is clear enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on what this might be?:help

MikeS
07-04-2011, 06:04 PM
It's a black mold we are getting it here in Brizzy a lot with the wet a quick google search:

"Slime Molds form on grass during periods of prolonged rainfall and high humidity. Starting out as creamy white slimy substance and becomes gray or blue-gray. Slime Molds do not cause any direct damage to the grass because they only grow over the surface of the leaf and do not attack it. May cause injury to grass if allowed to remain on the grass for a long period of time. Light exclusion may cause a yellowing and weakening of the grass, making it more easily attacked by other diseases or molds.

Brush slime mold off with a broom or rake. To avoid this, water early in day and allow lawn to dry during the day. Water infrequently and deeply, instead of daily."

PaulG
07-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Spot on Mike.

Here's a good link too from one of my "Favourites' folders on Lawn Care so you too can dazzle your customers with your knowledge! LOL

http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/BP/BP-112-W.pdf

administrator
20-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Slime molds can occur on any species of turfgrass but are most common in taller mown turf. Despite their threatening appearance, slime molds are not infectious and will not result in anything more than temporary cosmetic dam-age. Slime molds will not harm humans, pets, or livestock.The most common slime mold species is Physarum cinereum, a primitive microorganism that can grow and multiply on leaf and stem surfaces. Outbreaks are normally brief, last-ing one or two weeks, and coincide with wet weather and high levels of organic matter.Initial signs of slime mold include colorful, well-defined patches on turf (Figures 1 and 2). Colors may range from yellow and orange to purple and gray. The mold actually represents masses of spores (Figure 3). Rain and mainte-nance practices may disperse these spores. The bright colored mold usually appears for only a few days before it turns gray or black (Figure 4). Usually, by the time the color changes, the wet mold begins to turn dry and powdery.Because slime molds are not infectious, and remain for only short periods of time, no lasting harm to turf will occur. No fungicides or other chemical treatments are necessary for control. Affected areas can be hosed with water to wash the fungus from plant surfaces. Also, raking will break up the mold (especially during dry weather) and hasten its disappearance and the return to a more attractive turf stan

http://www.extension.purdue.edu/extm...P/BP-112-W.pdf