PDA

View Full Version : Setting up Quickbooks is giving me a headache!

C.O.R.Y.S
11-04-2011, 01:35 PM
As the heading states I have the newest version of QB Accounting Small Business and trying to set it up is doing my head in! Im pretty good on computers and have no problems with any maths inolved but its getting my head around the different accounts that im getting lost on. I understand that its detailed software designed for all different and complex businesses but im sure they could have made it a bit less complicated setup wise. i guess my question here is who uses it, how do you have your accounts set up and what is the most basic account structure with the least accounts needed for me to still manage my business effectively?

glassngrass
11-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Mrs Cox up the road is struggling to manage her lawns and gardens. She struggles with the tools, and with her other responsibilities she doesn't have the time or head space to deal with it.

Should I recommend she does a course in horticulture, or refer her to a professional gardener?

ian
11-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Mrs Cox up the road is struggling to manage her lawns and gardens. She struggles with the tools, and with her other responsibilities she doesn't have the time or head space to deal with it.

Should I recommend she does a course in horticulture, or refer her to a professional gardener?

probably a course in horticulture then she will be able to save enough money to hire a book keeper

geoff
11-04-2011, 09:12 PM
mate its really not that hard......think about what expense subjects you need ,
When you set up the expense headings work them along the lines of what your accountant has set up in your previous tax returns......quickbooks is pretty easy mind you it does take time but hey mate an old fcker like me manage to get it going,,,and it doesnt take that long to manage...i normally do it once per week but some times i get slack and do it montly and takes only a couple of hours to do,,weekly maybe 15 mins..cheaper than a bookkeeper hahahahaha sorry david

C.O.R.Y.S
11-04-2011, 09:32 PM
yeah only problem is geoff im just starting out so i dont have any previous returns to go off. i have absolutely no doubts that i am capable enough to handle the routine entries and balancing but i dont know why i just cant seem to get my head around the setup. and thanks for your patronising advice david. i have no intention at all of hiring a book keeper as i live in a city where i dont know a single person other than my wife and in 6 weeks she is being deployed to afghanistan for 8 months so quite frankly i dont want any more spare time or more money going out of my pockets. if you had of offered your services to talk me through some things over the phone id have been more than willing but i guess ill look for someone up here who can tell mrs cox how to start her lawn mower and which weeds to pull out.

Anjaryan
12-04-2011, 09:29 AM
there are plenty of sources out there to help you set it up.. short courses, books etc, just have to search around and look for them