PDA

View Full Version : Grass clippings around trees.

gcsmow
12-04-2011, 09:00 PM
:helpI have just had a complaint from one of my customers about putting grass clippings around the base of trees as mulch. They say that it causes too much heat build up, True or False ?

I know you should not have the mulch or grass touching the base of the tree because it can cause rot but if grass clippings are no good then mulch (shredded trees and garden waste) around the base of the tree would also be no good as well. They both cause heat. :i dunno:

C.O.R.Y.S
12-04-2011, 09:59 PM
yes and no. it all depends on how thick you put it down and its state of composition. fresh clippings put on to thick will start to compost producing very high temperatures which can cook the root systems, especially of young plants. again to thick and it can clump together preventing water getting through and also starve the roots of oxygen. the best mulch is an already composted mixture of coarse and fine materials no more than 10cm thick spreading from 20cm out from the trunk to the drip line of the canopy. it helps insulate the roots from cold and hot temps and prevents exsesive evaporation as well as keeps back weeds and grass. if all your trying to do is dispose of excess clippings then your probably putting as much around each tree as you can and id avoid it. if you really want to improve the health of the trees then a proper composted mulch is a far better option and if you talk to your customers about this there could definately be an extra earner there for you to. hope this helped and feel free to fire off any more questions as this falls into my small area of "expertise" lol.

Redeye
13-04-2011, 08:01 PM
yes and no. it all depends on how thick you put it down and its state of composition. fresh clippings put on to thick will start to compost producing very high temperatures which can cook the root systems, especially of young plants. again to thick and it can clump together preventing water getting through and also starve the roots of oxygen. the best mulch is an already composted mixture of coarse and fine materials no more than 10cm thick spreading from 20cm out from the trunk to the drip line of the canopy. it helps insulate the roots from cold and hot temps and prevents exsesive evaporation as well as keeps back weeds and grass. if all your trying to do is dispose of excess clippings then your probably putting as much around each tree as you can and id avoid it. if you really want to improve the health of the trees then a proper composted mulch is a far better option and if you talk to your customers about this there could definately be an extra earner there for you to. hope this helped and feel free to fire off any more questions as this falls into my small area of "expertise" lol.
totally correct