PDA

View Full Version : Something in my eye!

C.O.R.Y.S
05-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Anyone got any tricks to getting stuff out of your eyes? i got home and had a shower and all was fine but now something is in my eye and its driving me crazy and is really starting to inflame it. ive had a good look in a mirror but cant see what it is, put a bunch of eye drops in but cant get it out! help please!!!!

Bluey
05-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Irrigate the eye with warm water across from the nose to the outside. You may have to get someone to help you as you need to hold the eye open. Failing that you can buy an eyewash. But don't bugger around too much. Go and see a Dr if you cannot get rid of it.

Mrs HMS
05-05-2011, 07:48 PM
If you don't have an eyewash handy you can improvise. Get an egg cup (or something similar size like a shot glass), full with luke warm water and add a small pinch of salt to make a saline solution (mix until all salt is dissolved). Open your eye, bring your head down to the glass trying to seal the edge of the glass around the eye as much as possible....there will definately be leakage so I suggest doing this over the bathroom basin. Keep eye open to let the saline in to the eye, move the eyeball around a bit in the water to flush all those hard to reach places. Then try sitting with the eye closed for about 5 minutes, don't rub it!

Mrs HMS
05-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Just as an aside I get this constantly and have worked out it's our carpet. I get a soft tissue and twist it to a point which I run along the inside of the lower lid were it sits against the eyeball and more often than not manage to grab a really fine carpet fibre which you just can't see when you look in the mirror.

I find sitting with the eye closed for 5 minutes will allow the eye to do it's natural protective thing of coating the foreign object so it won't scratch your eyeball - it's only then that I can see it in the mirror.

Drives me )#@$$% mental.

C.O.R.Y.S
05-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys. My wife left for 2 weeks field training yesterday so im all alone! Ive got saline vials in my first aid kit so im gonna crack one of them open and give it a good flush as its still stuck solid. if that dont work i think i might just take the whole thing out with a spoon coz im going mental! will try the egg cup thing to. the worst thing is i got something in my other eye today while working but managed to wash it out in the shower, then this!

Mrs HMS
05-05-2011, 08:33 PM
It's possible that whatever was in your eye earlier has irritated the membrane of your eye, in which case nothing but rest will help.

Can feel like you have the boundary rope of the MCG in there!

C.O.R.Y.S
05-05-2011, 08:35 PM
nope didnt help, ive had enough! What do yous reckon, tea spoon, desert spoon or icecream scoop?

South East Mowing
05-05-2011, 08:50 PM
It's possible that whatever was in your eye earlier has irritated the membrane of your eye, in which case nothing but rest will help.

Can feel like you have the boundary rope of the MCG in there!

And if this is the case I find "refresh plus" lubricant eyedrops helps me a little. run down to your late nite chemist!!

geoff1969
05-05-2011, 10:09 PM
nope didnt help, ive had enough! What do yous reckon, tea spoon, desert spoon or icecream scoop?

try a angry agitated jack russel hang from your groin ... that should take the pain away from the eye . or make it water enough to clear itself ...hahahaha
nar serious mate do as joanne said and keep it irrigated regulary but give it time in between as well , there are some eye drops you can get called dry eyes and that works real good i belive it has a anti inflamortary in it i had to use them for a week after injury also a cold wet flannel held over it helps , i cut open the viewing lens of my eye 12 months back and that stuff realy helped .

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
06-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Grab your top eye lid and pull it down and slightly away from the eye ball and look down up left and right then let it go and wipe the tear away and its gone i dont know why it works but it does.

Mrs HMS
06-05-2011, 12:18 PM
How's they eye today? Which utensil did you end up going with?

Seriously, hope it's better.

C.O.R.Y.S
06-05-2011, 01:07 PM
had real trouble sleeping and i woke this morning to it still bothering me. its still there but not quite so bad now so im thinking it was probably like you said Jo and ive either done something or scratched the inside of my eyelid or ive scratched my eyeball. if it still hasnt gone by tomorrow i think ill have to go to the docs.

cadase
06-05-2011, 02:34 PM
had real trouble sleeping and i woke this morning to it still bothering me. its still there but not quite so bad now so im thinking it was probably like you said Jo and ive either done something or scratched the inside of my eyelid or ive scratched my eyeball. if it still hasnt gone by tomorrow i think ill have to go to the docs.
a few years back i was hit in the eye by someone spinning a clothes line around, anyway off to hospital and my eyeball was puffing up and turning a nice shade of yellow. They had to drain excess fluid from the eyeball with a syringe, i still shudder when thinking of that needle going in.
Any way my theory, if you cant get it out with your elbow, go see a gp :)

mowjoman
06-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Watch a sad movie mate...get them tears happening
Nah seriously but, time to see ya GP I reckon. Don't wanna mess around with the eyes ay.

South East Mowing
06-05-2011, 05:39 PM
a few years back i was hit in the eye by someone spinning a clothes line around, anyway off to hospital and my eyeball was puffing up and turning a nice shade of yellow. They had to drain excess fluid from the eyeball with a syringe, i still shudder when thinking of that needle going in.
Any way my theory, if you cant get it out with your elbow, go see a gp :)

Its not as if you can close your eye so you cant see it coming!!!:help

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
06-05-2011, 05:48 PM

If you scratch the eyeball that stings like a b*&#@ and you wont fix it with any quick remedy.

Bluey
06-05-2011, 07:55 PM
I once got a piece of fibreglass in my eye. Tried to get it out myself but no luck. Had to go to the bones to get it out. Hurt like the bejus.