PDA

View Full Version : I collect medals ww2

St George
07-05-2011, 12:55 PM
I collect medals from THE THIRD REICH.not everyones cup of tea but it's interesting and a little expensive.

Bluey
07-05-2011, 05:36 PM
I collect medals from THE THIRD REICH.not everyones cup of tea but it's interesting and a little expensive.

Interesting hobby....what made you pick that era in german history. What are they worth.

C.O.R.Y.S
07-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Interesting hobby....what made you pick that era in german history. What are they worth.

The lives of millions and millions of innocent murdered souls? My Grandfather fought back the men who were "awarded" those medals and spent time in their Concentration Camps. Not what id call a hobby and certainly not one id go telling other people about, and who gives a sh*t that they are expensive??? Hey my other Grandfather fought the Japs, maybe you could start collecting the Samurai swords they used to kill prisoners with to?

Bluey
07-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Easy up Cory. Many of the men who fought on the opposite side where no different from your grand father or my father. They got pulled into war by their leaders and fought and died just as hard and bravely as our boys did. They were not all monsters and nazi's and such. Yes there were monsters within the German regime and the Japanese one as well but we had a few on our side as well. Its a long gone war and most of those who fought in it have moved on or or passed on. Maybe not forgotten but moved on. I would hazard a guess if you got some old soldiers from both camps together they would probably get along together ok.

C.O.R.Y.S
07-05-2011, 07:23 PM
yeah but if i lived in germany i wouldnt be gloating about collecting medals given to allied soldiers for killing their family members. and you dont think there could be some jewish guys among us? how could someone share something like that without thinking it might highly offend others? some things are best kept to yourself.

St George
07-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Let's get over it and move on.no offence to anyone.it's just a hobby.maybe I shouldn't have posted this so moderator if you wish please delete.

courty
07-05-2011, 07:36 PM
St George
I would be more upset if you said you were President of the Jamie Soward fan club:p
Cory
Lighten up mate,it was along time ago.As Bluey said most of the chaps who fought on both sides have moved on.

Mrs HMS
07-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Touchy subject obviously. My uncle fought in Korea and actually came home with certain items taken from Korean soldiers. I think many soldiers in many conflicts have done so (on both sides). This began his collection which he continued through out his life. When he passed away the collection went to his son, my cousin who now continues to grow the collection.

It is not about glorification of war or celebration of the enemy for him, it's about continuing something his father started as a symbol of that time in history.

Recently he discussed with us why he hasn't added any Australian items to his collection, other than the medals his father had and he replied that in his opinion they belonged with the families or failing that the RSL.

C.O.R.Y.S. I don't think St George meant any offense or to upset anyone, it was just a response to this topic...what hobbies do you enjoy, and that's his hobby.

Having said that, I fully appreciate your feelings on the matter.

St George
07-05-2011, 08:11 PM
I apoligise Cory.not a topic for everyone.I hope I haven't tarnished my name here and once again sorry.

simo
08-05-2011, 09:16 AM
SWeet nothing better than a good debate..don`t worry st george tell us more about the metals fredom of speech..

ian
08-05-2011, 07:42 PM
lets not forget that Gallipoli is in Turkey and they were one of the enemies we fought in ww1 and we have a war memorial and commemoration service there

Blueline
12-05-2011, 08:37 AM
As an aside,i had a model and hobby shop here in Geelong for a few years,German military models outsold allied stuff about 5 to 1,there is definately a much stronger interest among collectors for the German stuff.It is a very interesting period in world history for all the reasons both good and bad and i think that the more people that are into collecting or researching the period and listening to and recording the survivors stories the more that the lessons learnt will be remembered.cheers mick.