PDA

View Full Version : Sick looking passionfruit

St George
03-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone I came across a sick looking passion fruit tree today maybe 1 year old.the leaves are slightly yellow and have holes.what product would you recommend?

03-06-2011, 03:55 PM
LED lights and subwoofers - Thats what I thought when I saw this fully sik thread title :smile:

From Goooogle
Yellowing leaves on a passionfruit vine are usually caused by a lack of iron and nitrogen in the soil. A good feed of blood and bone or aged chicken manure will rectify this problem. ‘Winter yellows’ can also be brought on by cold weather, windy conditions or low humidity.

Will never.....ever put in another passion fruit. The rootstock (Banana passion fruit normally) takes over and the runners pop up anywhere within a 30' radius. I apply Glyphosate and lots of fire to the bastard passion fruit in my backyard.

St George
03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks heaps for the info. I'm looking after a customers yard and it's full of evey fruit tree even sugar cane.she had me on all fours [doing gardening that is!] and planting 200 broad beans!I cant move my thumbs.

DavidS
03-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi St George,

Passionfruit are gross feeders, so you need to feed them on a regular basis, especially when they are fruiting, they also need regular water. Don't let the passionfruit grow to long as this takes away the goodness for the fruiting, just keep cutting the ends off long stalks and keep the passionfruit to about 2 to 3 metres either side of the the trunk. I keep mine about 3 metres wide in total, get lots of fruit this way. In spring, summer and early autumn you can feed with blood and bone or dynamic lifter every 3 to 4 weeks and deep water every week. In late autumn and winter just a feed once every 2 months and water it in, then deep water every 2 weeks unless it rains. If you are having problems with passionfruit not fruiting, check for bees, if a lack of bees you will have to hand pollenate with cotton buds.
Hope this helps

Stripes
03-06-2011, 07:47 PM
The holes in the leaves could be from a caterpillar, so hit it with "Dipel" if you find some caterpillars. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it is really bad. A few holes in the leaves won't hurt the fruit.

Also check the pH of the soil It should be around 6.5-7.5, otherwise some of the nutrients will be unavailable to the plants. After all the rain we have had in Sydney over the past 3 months the nutrients can be leached from the soil also.

St George
03-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Ok.Also are snails good or bad?

03-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Unless your French.......
They are not good

St George
03-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Hehe. Thanks.stupid question.