PDA

View Full Version : Gutter cleaning aparatus tonight on ABC New Inventors 8pm

PaulG
08-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Just saw in the paper that one of the inventions to be featured on New Inventors tonight at 8pm on ABC1 is a water-powered brush device for cleaning out gutters.

Might be worth a look to see what it's like.

08-06-2011, 07:12 PM
He's an ideas man that Steve!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_L6cKvcOkpSk/TMasgNnkICI/AAAAAAAABkw/hnf_wufiJQ0/s1600/Michael-Caton-daryl-kerrigan-the+castle.jpg

LOL

Redeye
08-06-2011, 07:38 PM
tell 'em they're dreamin'

Neil&family
08-06-2011, 11:27 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s3236718.htm

Nothing a Leaf Beater won't do.

PaulG
09-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Well this was nothing like I thought (based on the description in the local paper). It had nothing to do with cleaning the gutters but was just some contraption to insert into downpipes.

Mick
09-06-2011, 07:55 AM
I remember a gutter cleaning system from ages ago that tilted the actual gutter so leaves etc would just tip out. Seemed a good idea.

Found it.... http://www.nosweatgutters.com.au/

Neil&family
10-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Half round gutter or flat back gutter are the best in leafy area. As long as you get external brackets. Dear but very effective as the wind blows the leaves out .

happymowin
12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Half round gutter or flat back gutter are the best in leafy area. As long as you get external brackets. Dear but very effective as the wind blows the leaves out .

:wtf

lololololol . . . blows the leaves out? I have been cleaning gutters for 10 years. Never seen a self cleaning gutter. Ever.

You must be in the cyclone area?

imoww
21-06-2011, 09:08 PM
There seem to be allot of Lawnies now days doing gutter cleaning.
Ive had a few requests but declined due to not knowing who the pros do it.
Are there any secrets or how do the pros clean gutters?
Also what price do they charge?
I may be interested.

imoww
21-06-2011, 09:12 PM
Just found this
http://store.irobot.com/family/index.jsp;jsessionid=VT6GTQ8F8Fc0l0LZv1Xv9213b3mgT 7p2pyHJPKmzsJvhtJDttyzL!-1933592288?categoryId=2878870&s=D-StorePrice-IRBT

PaulG
21-06-2011, 09:13 PM
No secrets to it I'd say. Although a gutter full of dry leaves would be easier than a gutter full of sludge like I did at the start of the year. Once when I was working with my mate that has one of the Jims franchises here he used his blower to clean out the gutters on one job. The one I did I used the red chemical gloves and whatever apparatus I had at hand to scoop the sludge from the gutters. Mine took about two hours and I charged $160. His took about ten minutes but I don't know what he charged.

imoww
21-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Thats what i had in mind.
Basically a good blower will do the job.
ebay have these robots from the USA. Not sure how they would go with sluge buld ups.?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iRobot-Looj-125-Gutter-Cleaner-Cleaning-Machine-/120737945390?pt=US_Vacuum&hash=item1c1c8ad72e

Fred's mowing
21-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Just found this
http://store.irobot.com/family/index.jsp;jsessionid=VT6GTQ8F8Fc0l0LZv1Xv9213b3mgT 7p2pyHJPKmzsJvhtJDttyzL!-1933592288?categoryId=2878870&s=D-StorePrice-IRBT

Great 4 straight, even, gutters with a few dry leaves, not usually the kind that ppl ring me up 4:rolleyes:.
Cheers Fred.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
23-06-2011, 04:39 PM
The problem with using a blower on gutters that are wet and full of sludge is the mess it leaves. You could end up spending more time cleaning afterwards than just cleaning them out with your hands.

Most customers are not going to be happy with mud sprayed all over the place and eve's with muddy water running down them everywhere are very unsightly.

Better off charging better prices for yourself and doing the job properly. If the gutters are bone dry then a blower is going to be your best friend that day

imoww
24-06-2011, 10:03 PM
So it's basically a hands on job of cleaning out the leave and Sh#t?

Thistle
25-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi
I have just cleaned my gutters at home half dry & half sludge the dry part i just used the blower the wet part i found a plastic gutter scoop in bunnings $2 scooped up the sludge into a bucket & tipped onto the garden.

all up about 2hrs i charge $60p/h when asked to quote

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
25-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi
I have just cleaned my gutters at home half dry & half sludge the dry part i just used the blower the wet part i found a plastic gutter scoop in bunnings $2 scooped up the sludge into a bucket & tipped onto the garden.

all up about 2hrs i charge $60p/h when asked to quote

I bought one of those plastic gutter cleaners a couple of years ago and still haven't found a gutter I could fit it into and use.

For wet sludgy gutters I use old rags. Shove them into the gutter then push them along with a timber stake, lenght of pipe, basically anything you want to use and then clean it out every 4 to 5 mtrs.
The steel supports you get on some gutters can be a bit of a pain though.

ian
25-06-2011, 04:28 PM
I bought one of those plastic gutter cleaners a couple of years ago and still haven't found a gutter I could fit it into and use.

For wet sludgy gutters I use old rags. Shove them into the gutter then push them along with a timber stake, lenght of pipe, basically anything you want to use and then clean it out every 4 to 5 mtrs.
The steel supports you get on some gutters can be a bit of a pain though.

i just through one of those plastic ones out like you i never found a gutter it fitted in properly to bother with i cut down a shelving bracket (like the ones the shops use ) and found this was the 2nd best way to do it the best way in my opinion after falling of my roof last year is to let someone else do it no one is going to pay me enough to take that kind of risk

imoww
25-06-2011, 07:49 PM
i just through one of those plastic ones out like you i never found a gutter it fitted in properly to bother with i cut down a shelving bracket (like the ones the shops use ) and found this was the 2nd best way to do it the best way in my opinion after falling of my roof last year is to let someone else do it no one is going to pay me enough to take that kind of risk

Actually, are there any safety rules or OH&S strategies for working high on a ladder? Wouldnt want to fall off a roof.

AYM
26-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Actually, are there any safety rules or OH&S strategies for working high on a ladder? Wouldnt want to fall off a roof.

Unless you have no other choice, and you charge for it, cleaning gutters from a ladder isn't worth it.

If it's an unusually high, steep or slippery roof (brand new colorbond is terrifying when wet) we used to use a rope and harness for peace of mind. We were mostly pressure cleaning the whole roof, but did once or twice use a harness for doing gutters.

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
26-06-2011, 12:01 PM
There is a safety gadget you can get that is a steel plate that slips up under roof tiles and you attach a harness to it.