PDA

View Full Version : Borers in Murraya hedge

courty
27-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Turned up to one one of my regular commercial clients this morning to be greeted with a couple of small dead patches in a murraya hedge that is a very important component in the gardens. Closer inspection revealed what I believe to be borers.
I have cut out the infected wood and will return tomorrow to spray as much of it as possible(leaf and trunk/branches) with Confidor.
Knowing Borers can be difficult to get rid of does this sound like a reasonable plan as there does not seem to be any product specific for Borers.

ian
27-06-2011, 06:15 PM
borers are the larvae of different insects and the recommended control is to use a systemic insecticide so confidor should do the trick

PaulG
27-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Another old remedy for borers if there aren't too many holes is to poke a piece of wire into the holes and work it around to kill them/larvae etc and spray with metho. That bit of wisdom came from a 1970's gardening book I'm reading at the moment!

Stripes
27-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Murrayas can also get a bit of Fungus attacking them so it probably wouldn't hurt to hit them with a fungicide like Mancozeb at the same time just to be sure.

A fair few of my clients also had them planted near pools and after heavy rains the pool would overflow onto the Murrayas which caused them to look very sickly for a month or so. Also where the pool backwash pipe comes out can splash around and affect the Murrayas. I was stumped as to why all these Murrayas were dying off in patches and the common factor was either the pool or the backwash pipe of the pool being in those spots where they were sick and it was always after heavy rain. Other plants didn't seem to be affected as much as the Murrayas.

courty
28-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Cheers fellas
Headed back out this morning and sprayed the whole thing inside and out (hedge is about 60mtrs long x 1.5mtrs high)found more damage on the inside once I really started to poke around in it.Fingers crossed the confidor does the trick.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/borer1.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/gcourt/borer2.jpg

Bgs
21-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi Courty how did the confidor go I have just come across the exact same problem in a customers murraya hedge

courty
21-11-2011, 02:20 PM
It went well Bgs,I sprayed it 3 times about 3 between sprays. Hedge is looking good again with strong new growth in the dead areas.
Funny this thread should come up again,I have had a couple of calls in the last week about this. One from a member of the public and one from a member on here (Chris did you get my message? My phone is still farked)
Powerful resource this forum.

DavidS
24-11-2011, 05:17 AM
Courty,
I have used the Metho spray for good results, just make certain you wear safety glasses as metho stings in the eyes. LOL. You have to scrap off the frace(borer ****) before you spray the area, you should aim it down the holes and soak the area.

allo
26-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks glen, got your msg and have passed on info.good onya champ.
p.s get that phone fixed it might be costin ya.

courty
26-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Good stuff Chris
Phone is good again.It was a Telstra problem not the phone,now I just have to fill out a 10 page complaint/compensation form.