PDA

View Full Version : Slashing

Green Grass
04-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Does anybody do slashing?
As in slashing with a tractor with a slashing deck behind it.
What is your hourly rate, what sort of machine do you use, tractor horsepower, width of slasher deck. Do you charge more for 3m tall grass rather than 1m tall grass. How do you charge for picking up sticks... or logs/ trees from slashing area?

graeme
18-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I think I'll get in on it this year, I reckon half the jobs that came in last year I had to knock back because of no tractor and slasher. I think I try for a 50 - 60hp second hand tractor and a 5ft slasher and see how that goes, if you get it wrong, second hand stuff can usually be re sold with little loss.

Once you have a tractor there is so many attachments, flail mowers, rotary hoes, front end loaders, etc. really opens up a whole host of new opportunities I reckon.

geoff
18-07-2011, 08:38 PM
graeme reckon you have an idea there , we have also got available a tractor and flail mower and they are really good money spinner but there not enough of it unless you travel , i have someone that does it for me but when you have to repair the tractor or flail/slasher its expensive...you have to love the machines and treat them gentley because the type of work invites rough areas we have found...

Bluey
18-07-2011, 09:05 PM
graeme reckon you have an idea there , we have also got available a tractor and flail mower and they are really good money spinner but there not enough of it unless you travel , i have someone that does it for me but when you have to repair the tractor or flail/slasher its expensive...you have to love the machines and treat them gentley because the type of work invites rough areas we have found...

Yep aint that true. Ever priced a rear tyre for a tractor....:shifty

edbeek
18-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Add in the cost of a decent truck to transport the tractor around, plus another rego, and shed space to store it all in, you start to tie up quite a bit of capital.

PaulG
19-07-2011, 03:43 PM
This is the big issue. I have an old Fordson Power-Major and a 5ft slasher but no way of getting it around. It sits neglected on a block of land that will probably be sold off soon to pay back the bank and help our financial situation. Probably sold off at a loss too. If anyones's interested we may look to sell the tractor and slasher seperate to the land.

Green Grass
19-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I ended up buying a new tractor and slasher, massey furgeson 23.5 hp tractor, 4'6" silvan slasher. Around 21k all up. It's a compact job and the beauty of it is it fits nicely on a tandem trailer. I've slashed some pretty tall grass, like 15' high gamba grass with it and done some horrible blocks. Buying new saves on costly breakdowns, but yeah parts are dear. Have tried to look after it and so far have just spent dough on servicing and blades. Speaking of blades, Dean has sourced some for me that are half the price of the rip off merchants up here charge. Been slashing for around 2 years and during the dry season up here there's some good coin to be made doing rural blocks, firebreaks etc. Pretty much payed for itself already as the work is there. If i just mowed lawns i'd probably be doing it a little tougher.

Mick
19-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I like the look of those Massey's. Saw one a couple weeks ago. Built well!
John Deere have a new compact coming out, 1 Series. Im actually seriously thinking about it. Can put a 7iron deck on it so could be used on nicer lawns as well, plus 4wd is a bonus for wet ground and slopes. Add small slasher and FEL and I'd be sorted. Be expensive though!

bb1
27-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I dont do the slashing myself, but get another local to do the jobs for me, he invoices me, than i invoice the client with a overhead on top. That way the client calls me for more services, and I make a small cut on top.

Green Grass
04-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Am looking at expanding. Roadside slashing. Rough ground, they want a km rate. Do ibuy an 80 grand machine and charge $132 a km or what? I have no idea on how to quote. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mrs HMS
04-12-2011, 10:42 PM
I assume that this is council work...not sure if you've done any before but this site gives an idea of what the NT councils look for in a tender. Not sure on pricing but I'm sure others will help with that aspect.

http://www.darwin.nt.gov.au/council/tenders-and-expressions-interest/councils-tender-process

Green Grass
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
It'sactually Litchfield Shire road slashing. Which is separate from Darwin business. Just looking for a rough average km rate

happymowin
05-12-2011, 11:47 AM
sorry to state the obvious, but go hire one like you want to buy, and go slash a couple km's.

best investment youll ever make.

those tenders, if you win them dont you have to PAY THEM a 10 % deposit on the total value of your contract; then they take that off you if you dont complete the contract?

id be real careful of underestimating here.

over estimate - if you win youll be richer and happy

underestimate - do your arse; or have to mow for peanuts for the 3 years.

thats what i would do - rent and go mow some.

urbanpatch
05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
What would the hourly rate be for a small tractor and slasher?

happymowin
05-12-2011, 06:19 PM
umm, i dont hire them out lol

ring round the hire places

get onya phone mate lol

cheers

63impala
05-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Onya or enya?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wfYIMyS_dI&ob=av3e

umm, i dont hire them out lol

ring round the hire places

get onya phone mate lol

cheers

urbanpatch
05-12-2011, 06:46 PM
sorry, I meant the hourly rate for slashing clients properties.

63impala
05-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Yah mate look through the form i done a slashing job and the fellas said I did not price it right just look and you will fine aye...

Mick
07-12-2011, 08:59 AM
I was thinking about this thread yesterday, re, the road side slashing.

Do you need road management? Would certainly need many signs etc. When they do road sides here they have guys way out front and behind the workers to slow traffic.
Will you need to do any brush cutting as well, like in drains, sign posts, bollards etc?

They (Main Roads subbies) go 3m from edge of road here. How far out do they want you to go? I would expect pretty much the same for driver visibility.

I would try and figure out a per metre rate like 30km or 30000m x 3m = 90000m2 x $0.025 (made up number) = $2250
Add cost of trimming, road management (which I have no idea how much costs) say $1000= $3250. 90000m2 x $0.036= $3240

Ok, I see they want a per km rate. Going off my MADE UP numbers, $3240 ÷ 30km= $108/km

This isnt about my numbers, just a way to work it out.

edbeek
07-12-2011, 09:16 AM
The volume of traffic would be a factor too. Here the slasher stops every time a vehicle approaches.
Even 10-15 vehicles/hour would lose you close to 10 mins/hr.

bb1
07-12-2011, 04:34 PM
I know down here whenever I see a slasher on the roadside, there is definitely traffic management, this would need to be factored in. They also generally have 2 slashers going, one normal, and one long reach to get the side of the hill's etc (hilly area). From what I have een, around here they doont do any whippy work, but another contractor comes along at some tage and sprays around poles, gutters, etc. That also raises an interesting question for me, I often see them doing it in rain, they are obvioulsy not using glypho, what do they use.

bb1
07-12-2011, 04:36 PM
****e, look at the spelling mistakes in my last, and I havent even had a drink yet. was contemplating going out for another job, but after that poor effort, time to have a drink i think

Green Grass
07-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Roadside work up here i only need 2 signs. One on either side of the road to be slashed facing oncoming traffic. I have to slash to private property fence lines, varies from 1m to 30m. It's 80% low traffic areas and all rural. I plan on sticking a 400 lt tank on the back of the tractor and do weed spraying as i slash. Some areas will need brushcutting, chainsaw work etc which is quoted separately. I have been charging $90ph for a small slasher doing fire breaks and block slashing etc and getting plenty of work. I still factored on $90ph with a bigger machine, figuring 6' slasher instead of 4' slasher (which i have now) will cover more ground. I surveyed the area and factored on average 1 3/4 hrs per km slashing at my $90ph rate + extra $ for spraying. Works out over $200 per km. In saying that, it's the wet season and difficult ground. My understanding is they give me 5 grand to secure me and assist in start up costs. I could be wrong and i give them 5 grand on start up. and deduct 10% from invoices until squared up. No chance of test driving a slasher to work out rates etc, i wouldn't even contemplate asking for fear of being laughed out the door. If the bank says ok and the council say you got it i will be purchasing a Massey Ferguson 3645 78hp jobby and maybe do some long hours to get some good $.

Chris B
27-03-2012, 11:05 PM
How did you go green grass?

kevin 51
30-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi PaulG,was wondering if the Fordson had been sold please?Can u let me know.Kevin 51.Mobile0408476057.

Green Grass
12-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Hi guys and gals.
How did I go? I'll try and keep it brief.
Hourly rate was good, slashing was easy to really tough. Machine worked well, has a great tipping over angle, tested more than once. Other contractors underquoted and we all got shafted. Made great coin in the year that I completed my part. Last year got left with 100k of gear and no contract. Was tough, really tough. Luckily we managed to refinance after 6mths of not knowing, because no one would refinance us. Still have our house and 100k worth of gear. Won another tender for another government agency and that has returned not bloody much. Won't do anymore government work in regards to slashing as there is soo much tightening of belts within government on all levels, by the time it comes to the contractor doing the work there is not much left in the bucket.
We have survived so far but not outa the woods yet.

Be very careful about doing work for any form of government, as they are certainly not doing small business any favours.

a1 valet
03-01-2015, 07:12 AM
what brand flail mower do you have Geoff? was thinking of buying a Haynes flail mower or a tow n mow self propelled mower. The flail is more of an advantage as it slashers ruff terrain. WHat do you charge if you don't mind me asking?? How do you get work for it? Slashing is seasonal? most people get slashing done every 6 to 12 months?

a1 valet
03-01-2015, 07:16 AM
How did you get the contract for government work? I was thinking about it and looking at tenders, did you get any help with the price part of the tender? I have been looking at different tender's but have been very sceptical as I have herd they don't pay and you have to have all the equipment and workers? Is this true?

urbanpatch
03-01-2015, 07:54 AM
I have the tow n mow. Not great for tall stuff. Friend has Haynes flail, it was ok, need the hp though. He now has a big 60-80 hp tractor with a serious flail and there is no comparison.