PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting up in West Brisbane

Dodie
09-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around here for past month or so, and am pleased with the amount of info and support available.

Pretty much in the same boat as many of you guys have been, underpaid, overworked, under appreciated and looking to get out and form a new lifestyle that doesn't have me working 12 days on 2 off for 40k! Not looking to earn a motza, but severely reduce the amount of time I spend working and enjoying a bit more spare time.

I must admit, when I first joined, I was very keen to start and planned to in early spring. But, as the time draws near, my enthusiasm is waning. I assume this is cold feet and the fear of the unknown.

Look forward to contributing and hoping to take the plunge when the weather picks up.

Cheers,
Damien

Bgs
09-07-2011, 03:02 PM
:welcome Dodie !!! another Brisbane boy all the best if we have a season like last year you will be flat out before you know it.

Back to Basics
10-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Dodie get amongst it! Got a crap load of work to do and not enough time to do it! Help!!!! Work is
but search for it!!!!!!!!!!

Back to Basics
10-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Dodie get amongst it! Got a crap load of work to do and not enough time to do it! Help!!!! Work is
but search for it!!!!!!!!!!

Dodie
10-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks guys, hopefully it is another wet one this year.
It's daunting thinking of starting up, but you have to make opportunities, if you wait then they'll never come..

Redlandsguy
10-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Mate, it is great opportunity to work better hours then you would be used to, but make sure that you have the income or cash reserves to support yourself in the first 6 - 12 months. You just need to be able to build up a client base and that doesn't happen overnight. Remember that you have to buy equipment and particularly in the first season, you will see opportunities that require another or better piece of equipment.

happymowin
10-07-2011, 05:19 PM
the biggest thing no one tells you about is the slow winter period. if ya dont put away money in summer, you wont be mowing for long before you have to get a "real job" again.

and ya gotta put away money for when your mower breaks, the trans in the ute stuffs up, someone flogs the snipper out of the back of the ute, and you get sick for 3 weeks, cant work and lose half your clients.

you go from mowing a lawn every 10 to 14 days in summer, with people BEGGING you to come mow the lawns, throwing money at you like a stripper, to a period in winter of 10 to 14 WEEKS and people wont return your calls, almost like they owe you money.

do the maths yourself.

but good to have ya along if so.

Bgs
10-07-2011, 05:56 PM
the biggest thing no one tells you about is the slow winter period. if ya dont put away money in summer, you wont be mowing for long before you have to get a "real job" again.

and ya gotta put away money for when your mower breaks, the trans in the ute stuffs up, someone flogs the snipper out of the back of the ute, and you get sick for 3 weeks, cant work and lose half your clients.

you go from mowing a lawn every 10 to 14 days in summer, with people BEGGING you to come mow the lawns, throwing money at you like a stripper, to a period in winter of 10 to 14 WEEKS and people wont return your calls, almost like they owe you money.

do the maths yourself.

but good to have ya along if so.

Yep Happymowin is right if you are only doing Lawn mowing and nothing else you will need to plan for winter as not alot happens in June, July and August I remember one dry year it didnt start to kick off untill the middle of November.:sad::sad:

Dodie
11-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
While I don't have any $$ is reserve, I'll either have to work part time or get an overdraft. Would prefer to quit working altogether, but don't want a debt hanging over my head.
Winter doesn't sound too bad, sort of like a forced holiday, especially if you have some cash in the bank, good time to focus on hobbies.