PDA

View Full Version : Competition in Adelaide

SM MOWING
18-07-2011, 10:23 PM
To all those down south (South Australia that is), whats competition like, do you guys get heaps of work or is it guns blazing :FU. Whats it like against the man called Jim....

Jayk
18-07-2011, 10:49 PM
i'm a jim lol!

Bluey
19-07-2011, 06:20 AM
There is plenty of competition. There are plenty of jim's around along with VIP and Mr Clip but there are more Indies. I think the biggest problem are the lawn grubs doing lawns for $20. Having said that the work is out there.

Jayk
19-07-2011, 10:48 AM
To all those down south (South Australia that is), whats competition like, do you guys get heaps of work or is it guns blazing :FU. Whats it like against the man called Jim....

you dont need to be the cheapest, just better. sell the service. i hate it when i go to quote and the client has got other quotes. for me these are not the clients that you want mate.

ian
19-07-2011, 07:33 PM
you dont need to be the cheapest, just better. sell the service. i hate it when i go to quote and the client has got other quotes. for me these are not the clients that you want mate.

i don't mind other quotes as long as it's not some cheap arse that's done the quote

Bluey
19-07-2011, 07:54 PM

If the client wants to get other quotes it does not really bother me but it does tell me they are probably looking for the cheapest and I probably wont be that so they probably won't become a client. I don't really worry about these other than the time they make me waste.

Mrs HMS
19-07-2011, 08:00 PM
i hate it when i go to quote and the client has got other quotes. for me these are not the clients that you want mate.

I wouldn't get any new trade work done without a couple of quotes. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest but the most professional, a couple of quotes also gives you an idea about what a service costs, otherwise how do you know you don't fall in to the category of "I don't really want the job so will quote really, really high"??

Need our ducted heating replaced and won't be getting anything less than 3 quotes.

Fred's mowing
19-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Jayk, to me its all part of the game.
Do u take the first quote u get?
Quotes maynot be just about price.
Price is important to ppl, but so r other things.
Cheers Fred.

Jayk
19-07-2011, 08:13 PM
i usually know i have the job before i price it. i'm sure most of you guys/girls would know/get that fealing too. i wont rip any one off including myself (i know use are'nt saying that) so i just offer a fair price. Its just getting the client to trust you.
i agree if was getting major work done that it would be sensible to get quotes, but a lawn is a lot cheaper than a/c for the whole house!
i'm not going to partake in a bidding game though.

Fred's mowing
19-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Just a thought.
A $45/fortnight lawn over a year =$1080/year
Over 10years is a fair air con.
Cheers Fred.

Stump
19-07-2011, 09:24 PM
I lose count of the numbers of lawnies I wave to around my area, both Jimmies and Indys. There is still heaps of work to go round though, and although I have quoted against a few "beer money Bob's", it doesn't worry me at all. Some people just cant afford what we are worth, particulary pensioners.
Funny out of all the guys I have waved to, its one Jimmy with a sidekick that waves back all the time.

Jayk
19-07-2011, 10:06 PM
as long as it is reasonable the price is secondary, with lawns and clean ups that is. when we quote large landscaping jobs price definately comes into it, but as we all know cheapest is not always the best, and often costs more in the end. alot of this biz is selling ur self and ur service. if clients always took the cheapest price i would do something else!
having said that we get most jobs i quote so maybe i am too cheap lol!

kakegc
21-07-2011, 06:01 PM
i wouldn't get any new trade work done without a couple of quotes. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest but the most professional, a couple of quotes also gives you an idea about what a service costs, otherwise how do you know you don't fall in to the category of "i don't really want the job so will quote really, really high"??

Need our ducted heating replaced and won't be getting anything less than 3 quotes.

/\ /\ /\ /\ +1

kakegc
21-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Well................. there are obviously many aspects to our industry & I reckon I've done most of them over the years! IMO the trick is to work out what you want to do & do it as well as you can. The truth is that there are very few operators here in SA who are any good whatsoever. True, there are some, but there aren't too many! There are MASSES of numbats out there who think they're good at it, but just watch them for a while & all pretense at excellence is exposed. The franchises fill the heads of their franchisees with BS about how great they are, but I've worked doing tree work while there's a franchisee mowing away in the same yard & they miss the little things that would have made it a great job, instead of a mediocre one!

Be like a sponge & learn all you can & you will leave the rest in your wake!

Last week I quoted $350 to prune 4 fruit trees & a shrub + take a 6M Mulberry down to 1.8M at Payneham. The customer was visibly shocked by my quote (read I wasn't the 1st quote). She later called me to book in the work, which was subsequently done. After it was completed, i asked her politely about the other quotes; she said the next nearest quote was $150, but I was the only one who seemed to know what I was talking about (she was a wine producer) so I got the work.

I'm a long winded, know it all bastard, but I'm a long winded know it all bastard who has been earning a living in residential gardens for very many years!

Phil 100
21-07-2011, 06:57 PM
I reside in the Golden Grove Area of Adelaide and find there is ample
work, For Quotes one has to innitially ensure that the prospective customer feels comfortable and safe in your company, and confident that you will deliver and excellent service. Quote is important more so for some than others. As an independant operator I am always of the opinion that the franchinee's of the VIP's, JIM's etc have to charge more, because they have greater overheads.

happymowin
21-07-2011, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't get any new trade work done without a couple of quotes. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest but the most professional, a couple of quotes also gives you an idea about what a service costs, otherwise how do you know you don't fall in to the category of "I don't really want the job so will quote really, really high"??

ducted heating, what $5,000 worth of work, sure, 3 quotes, mrs hms, is reasonable.

a $40 mow, that they are trying to get for the cheapest arse price they can, and run 10 guys round to do written quotes? no thanks - i tell anyone i suspect is doing a dutch auction "no thanks, i'm not the cheapest", find someone else.

you'd be surprised how many change their tune after i tell them what they'll get off the cheapest bloke. or they ring me back after the cheap bloke does it to them.

Bluey
21-07-2011, 07:16 PM
IMO the trick is to work out what you want to do & do it as well as you can.

Be like a sponge & learn all you can & you will leave the rest in your wake!

So true. I don't have 100's of lawns. I try to focus on garden maintenance rather than straight lawn mowing. But I have back up lines of work as well. I am pendantic about doing a good job though. The way I look at it is I do the job the way I would want it done if I was employing someone. I reckon too many contractors are fixed on getting as much done in a day as you can and this is their downfall. They are rushed and it shows in their work.

Jayk
21-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I reside in the Golden Grove Area of Adelaide and find there is ample
work, For Quotes one has to innitially ensure that the prospective customer feels comfortable and safe in your company, and confident that you will deliver and excellent service. Quote is important more so for some than others. As an independant operator I am always of the opinion that the franchinee's of the VIP's, JIM's etc have to charge more, because they have greater overheads.

its only an extra $120 per week. not much if ur takin $600- 1k per day. do you spend on advertising mate?

cadase
21-07-2011, 09:05 PM
So true. I don't have 100's of lawns. I try to focus on garden maintenance rather than straight lawn mowing. But I have back up lines of work as well. I am pendantic about doing a good job though. The way I look at it is I do the job the way I would want it done if I was employing someone. I reckon too many contractors are fixed on getting as much done in a day as you can and this is their downfall. They are rushed and it shows in their work.
I'll have to own up, some of the rentals i do, it's hit and run, i try to to keep them to a suitable standard, but some of these places are pretty rough, no matter what you do, the weedkill gets a good run with these. The thing i have to do though, is, mentally set these jobs apart from the domestic lawns (also keep the roughy mower for the rougher properties) But as far as competition goes :i dunno:
They're just other guys making a living to me, just don't go knocking on my customers door after i leave, :shifty especially if there's a roundabout at the end of the street, which has happened

Jayk
21-07-2011, 09:40 PM
you can still make rough jobs look neat though, ie edges done vert and horizontal and a good blow down after. i agree with cadase, often part with rentals i give the client a choice ... ie mow and catch, open catch or slash

geoff
21-07-2011, 09:58 PM
its only an extra $120 per week. not much if ur takin $600- 1k per day. do you spend on advertising mate?

our dear forum friend (jims boy ) roo boy used to get 600 before 2 and surfen after that....now thats my man....

Jayk
21-07-2011, 11:03 PM
not me geoff. i guess we all have our super days. i usually have an offsider with me, and when i do try and get on average $100 per hour. sometimes more, often a little less.
i know hes not your man, and he got booted for what may be percieved as outlandish claims about surfing and making $600 by morning tea.

Bluey
22-07-2011, 07:10 AM
not me geoff. i guess we all have our super days. i usually have an offsider with me, and when i do try and get on average $100 per hour. sometimes more, often a little less.
i know hes not your man, and he got booted for what may be percieved as outlandish claims about surfing and making $600 by morning tea.

Sounds pretty similar to what I do Jayk. I still think Roo's booting was unfair. Since that has happened quiet a few Indies have owned up to doing something similar. Not every day but you can do it. I think there was a bit of negativity from the Indie side and that blew out and the end result was Roo's not being allowed back. He did supply some good info and I for one didn't think he was a blow hard.

Scooby Steve
22-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Your on the money there Jayk people dont forget he is working 2 up so what he is saying is highly gettable especially now its booming, me myself i would rather pocket the $120 and go Indi but thats just me. I also struggle to grow a beard so i don't know if Jimbob would have me.

As for rooread one minute he was working by himself the next it was two up and then he was making according to him $600 by 2 pm by himself at the tail end of one of the worst droughts in our history, nah he was a gem.

ian
22-07-2011, 07:12 PM
now scooby it's not hard to make $600 before 2.00 you just have to get up really really early :laughing: and have good lights on the mower

Bluey
22-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Do 2 good clean ups in a day and your there.

Jayk
22-07-2011, 08:24 PM
ta scooby and bluey. i often find green waste can make a crappy dollar day a much better one. most of my gardening work is hourly rate, so rubbish is always on top of that.
i also have a much better worker now.
the work in sa is def out there. i guess you will find franchisees that treat you like crap and see you as a threat, just ignore em if ya do mate. territory rights as a zee are ownly imaginary. a good operator ( im def not yet) will usualy respect another one regardless of zee or indie.
you just have to be positive, even when kicked in the guts. pm me if ya need a hand!

geoff
22-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Do 2 good clean ups in a day and your there.

or one Bluey....... we try to manage one good one for the day and rest for the remaining...not always achievable but they are here in melbourne as we speak

Bluey
22-07-2011, 08:48 PM
ta scooby and bluey. i often find green waste can make a crappy dollar day a much better one. most of my gardening work is hourly rate, so rubbish is always on top of that.
i also have a much better worker now.
the work in sa is def out there. i guess you will find franchisees that treat you like crap and see you as a threat, just ignore em if ya do mate. territory rights as a zee are ownly imaginary. a good operator ( im def not yet) will usualy respect another one regardless of zee or indie.
you just have to be positive, even when kicked in the guts. pm me if ya need a hand!

Yes mate I definitely will. I really think we have to dispel this them and us mentality. As I said before a professional Indie and a Jimmy are not much different....have to say it though...we don't pay fees...only kidding. I treat everyone as they treat me. If a Jimmy gives me crap...which has never happened except on the forum or an Indie gives me crap...which has in the field... I say my piece and walk away.

Bluey
22-07-2011, 08:49 PM
or one Bluey....... we try to manage one good one for the day and rest for the remaining...not always achievable but they are here in melbourne as we speak

Yes that is true...I have one next week...$750....thats my day and i reckon we will be done by 1300

ian
22-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Yes that is true...I have one next week...$750....thats my day and i reckon we will be done by 1300

and still time to drive to the beach so rooread can give you surfing lessons :laughing:

MowerRob
23-07-2011, 12:41 AM

u going surfing after :)

Bluey
23-07-2011, 06:16 AM
lol....no I will be worn out. Plus I don't go attracting sharks anyway.

kakegc
26-07-2011, 07:17 PM
I'll have to own up, some of the rentals i do, it's hit and run, i try to to keep them to a suitable standard, but some of these places are pretty rough, no matter what you do, the weedkill gets a good run with these. The thing i have to do though, is, mentally set these jobs apart from the domestic lawns (also keep the roughy mower for the rougher properties) But as far as competition goes :i dunno:
They're just other guys making a living to me, just don't go knocking on my customers door after i leave, :shifty especially if there's a roundabout at the end of the street, which has happened

G'day Trev, I'm not blowing wind up your you know what, but IMO you are one of the good guys! There aren't too many who could do what you do day after day, to the standard you do, certainly not here in Adelaide. I do know what you mean though, it's hard when you do so many rentals to remember to lift your game again for private jobs!

kakegc
26-07-2011, 08:06 PM

$600-$1K a day, lawn mowing??? I think i need to see your diary lol!

Mate, I've done both. I was a trainer for the guys with yellow trailers & went indy 6 years ago. I've made more dosh as an indy than I ever did as a franchise & I was there at the time when the areas were huge & we made money by growing our customer base & splitting the rounds.

My advertising = $42 per week. Does your $120 include lead fees, advertising fees etc?

At the end of the day, I'm self employed, I provide the services that I want to & I work the hours I want to. Can any franchisee say the same?

MowerRob
26-07-2011, 10:00 PM

Mate, I've done both. I was a trainer for the guys with yellow trailers & went indy 6 years ago. I've made more dosh as an indy than I ever did as a franchise & I was there at the time when the areas were huge & we made money by growing our customer base & splitting the rounds.

My advertising = $42 per week. Does your $120 include lead fees, advertising fees etc?

At the end of the day, I'm self employed, I provide the services that I want to & I work the hours I want to. Can any franchisee say the same?

$120 a week is everything taking into account< so total costs a year is $6000 this included everything leads advertising etc etc

And even most Indies will agree with 2 blokes $600 on a daily basis is nearly a minimum to achieve and $1000 isnt uncommon either. This is working a 8-9 hr dayand not just mowing mainly garden maintenance

BeetleJuice
27-07-2011, 03:24 PM
There is competition everywhere in all fields of work,always has been.Plus we have too many lawnies in this area.
I just under cut to get the work,it’s really quite simple.

You need to work out how low are you prepared to quote to get the job.if you are battling to get the work then you don’t have much choice.Or quote it to what may be too rich and be told i’ll get back to you and lose out completely.A lot of this will depend on one’s location.

It’s not so bad for someone who has purchased an established round but for those trying to build a round have to do it a bit cheaper.Comes down to surviving or not .

geoff
27-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Maybe do more than just mowing huh???? maybe those mower wheels need to rest a awhile and earn 80 plus an hour hoeing !!!!!!

Bluey
27-07-2011, 04:44 PM
So what are you doing the average lawn for BJ.

BeetleJuice
27-07-2011, 05:21 PM
So what are you doing the average lawn for BJ.
Minimum charge for a front only $20.for around 15 mins work.
For a bigger job still trying to push for a $1 per minute.But will drop down to 80-90 cents per minute just to win the job.
I’m getting too old now for anything else besides mowing,but i still run my other business till i can get this one to 5-6 cuts a day.

Jayk
27-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Minimum charge for a front only $20.for around 15 mins work.
For a bigger job still trying to push for a $1 per minute.But will drop down to 80-90 cents per minute just to win the job.
I’m getting too old now for anything else besides mowing,but i still run my other business till i can get this one to 5-6 cuts a day.

do you have a sp mower BJ? if you dont it make take you up to over a $1 per minute, and the benefit of less strain on ur body.

Jayk
27-07-2011, 07:00 PM

only clocked a tad over $600 today for 2 of us... bummer, but still a profit made

kakegc
27-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Getting back to the original question; no there isn't a lot of competition in Adelaide mate. You'll get the occasional guys like cadase & beetlejuice who'll tell you the truth about what they're actually making, then you get the BS artists who think you're stupid enough to believe their "I'm a hero, look at me I make huge $" garbage.

To answer your question, no i don't see Jim as competition! Jim is often some newbie with a shiny new trailer full of brand new gear that cost him a fortune to make basically the same as an indy who spent a hell of a lot less. Jim has limitations put on him by his boss regarding the services he can provide, indies don't! That opens up a whole new world! :)

There's plenty of work out there if you look for it mate, just don't expect to get the kind of money that some will have you believe they make, because it ain't going to happen. In Adelaide, most lawns are from $15-$40, with the average around $35-$38. You do the maths. If you hire an off sider there are 2 huge drawbacks; you have to make his/her wage everyday before you make a brass razoo & just as importantly, your equipment will burn out extremely quickly, so you have to factor in depreciation.

I've done it both ways, on my own & with F/T off siders & I'm here to tell you that on your own you 1) make more profit, 2) are truely self employed, working the hours that you want to & are a hell of a less stressed!

Having said that, VIP ARE COMPETITION! They seem to approach it more like the better indies.

Jayk
27-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Getting back to the original question; no there isn't a lot of competition in Adelaide mate. You'll get the occasional guys like cadase & beetlejuice who'll tell you the truth about what they're actually making, then you get the BS artists who think you're stupid enough to believe their "I'm a hero, look at me I make huge $" garbage.

To answer your question, no i don't see Jim as competition! Jim is often some newbie with a shiny new trailer full of brand new gear that cost him a fortune to make basically the same as an indy who spent a hell of a lot less. Jim has limitations put on him by his boss regarding the services he can provide, indies don't! That opens up a whole new world! :)

There's plenty of work out there if you look for it mate, just don't expect to get the kind of money that some will have you believe they make, because it ain't going to happen. In Adelaide, most lawns are from $15-$40, with the average around $35-$38. You do the maths. If you hire an off sider there are 2 huge drawbacks; you have to make his/her wage everyday before you make a brass razoo & just as importantly, your equipment will burn out extremely quickly, so you have to factor in depreciation.

I've done it both ways, on my own & with F/T off siders & I'm here to tell you that on your own you 1) make more profit, 2) are truely self employed, working the hours that you want to & are a hell of a less stressed!

Having said that, VIP ARE COMPETITION! They seem to approach it more like the better indies.

a bit early to talk about having an employee me thinks! i dont have any limitations as to the services i provide via jims!
If you run your business properly you make heaps more profit if you have a good employee! and i think ya still truly self employed if you have one!!
I think kakegc is turning this into a p$%sing comp lol, when there is no need for it! why the pocket knife attacks mate, bad day? argument with other half lol?

kakegc
27-07-2011, 08:49 PM
only clocked a tad over $600 today for 2 of us... bummer, but still a profit made

OK my friend YOU ARE BEING CALLED OUT! Clearly we live close to each other, so meeting shouldn't pose a problem. I am prepared to buy you a coffee, so that you can show me that diary of yours! I don't mow grass anymore, so you have nothing to fear by showing it to me. If you do actually earn that kind of money YOU HAVE EVERYTHING TO GAIN. PM me to arrange a meeting before week's end & I will post on here about what a stand up guy you are.

MowerRob
27-07-2011, 08:51 PM

Mate u have no idea
"To answer your question, no i don't see Jim as competition! Jim is often some newbie with a shiny new trailer full of brand new gear that cost him a fortune to make basically the same as an indy who spent a hell of a lot less. Jim has limitations put on him by his boss regarding the services he can provide, indies don't! That opens up a whole new world!"

would you like to elaborate on what we cant do cos u obviously no more than I do

As for your comments about being new I have been going strong for 6 years I have had the same offsider for 4 years(only pay for hrs worked)
Equipment - I buy 1 new mower a year im on my second whipper snipper and second set of blowers(2) first shindy multi tool, chainsaws, hedge trimmers

We have all our work in 3 suburbs so doing 20 lawns a day is normal . You do the maths. A lawn takes 15-20 mins get 3 done an hr work for 8 - 9 hrs and taking your average $35 = $840 (would anyone like to disagree with this)

Sorry to say mate but I wouldnt even blink to think you are Competition
(Which area of Adelaide do u work in that might also explain a lot)

But dont be afraid to ask any questions about the Jims system
Cos we dont want the truth getting in the way of a good story

kakegc
27-07-2011, 08:53 PM

do you have a sp mower BJ? if you dont it make take you up to over a $1 per minute, and the benefit of less strain on ur body.

Who's turning it into a pi$$ing complol!

geoff
27-07-2011, 08:57 PM
the figures that jayk states to me is very reasonable..i know i am not in adelaide but surely with two operators his figures are very very achievable//// think about it its only 15 lawns to get 600 plus a day but he is probably getting more and thats just mowing....charging 100 bucks an hour plus for gardening one would think thats pretty easy.... Jayk mate i am with you , really this jims bashing is crap

kakegc
27-07-2011, 09:00 PM
It's not Jim's bashing Geoff, it's BS bashing. I'm still waiting to see that diary!

geoff
27-07-2011, 09:03 PM
understand that mate..but down here those figures to many contractors is not uncommon so i am to believe

MowerRob
27-07-2011, 09:03 PM
It's not Jim's bashing Geoff, it's BS bashing. I'm still waiting to see that diary!

And im still waiting for u to let me know what Jims arent allowed to do since u know so much about them.
Would u have a go at Bluey cos he wouldnt be far off making those $$$$ everyday/week

Jayk
27-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Who's turning it into a pi$$ing complol!

i was only trying to help out!, but i am happy to meet ya kakegc, and if ya do ill tell all that ur a stand up guy too. better dr the bks lol ... only joking. thing is no poaching though! and ta geoff.
Bj if ya dont have an sp im happy to lend you one of mine for a week on the house to see what its like. just pm me

Jayk
27-07-2011, 09:08 PM

..........pm sent!

geoff
27-07-2011, 09:08 PM
let me give an small insight down here in melbourne its very gettable to have 12 to 15 clients per day at 45 buck per lawn , now thats just for mowing , many charge at least 60 to 100 per hour for gardening .so what be said by jims is what we have learnt from the outside..in fact i have to say jims has been a god send to our sucess....

MowerRob
27-07-2011, 09:14 PM
let me give an small insight down here in melbourne its very gettable to have 12 to 15 clients per day at 45 buck per lawn , now thats just for mowing , many charge at least 60 to 100 per hour for gardening .so what be said by jims is what we have learnt from the outside..in fact i have to say jims has been a god send to our sucess....

Good stuff Geoff im not even game to say what I earn on average a day/week .

Bluey
27-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Boys...boys..boys......WHOA.

What started this...was it the $600 a day. If it was Rob is right. I get there most days. Not all but that is my target. And do you know why. It is because Roo Read came on here and said he did it. He was not bull ****ing so I thought if he can so can I. I followed his model and ....get this.....I learned anf ....I earned. But having said that i am not a straight mowing guy. I make my money on the time I take to make a garden look like it should.

Bluey
27-07-2011, 09:34 PM
In Adelaide, most lawns are from $15-$40, with the average around $35-$38. You do the maths.

. Well I would disagree with that whole heartedly. I have 25 customers whose average lawn mowing job is $50 plus. And I am no bull ****er. $15 is ludicrous

Bluey
27-07-2011, 09:36 PM
i was only trying to help out!, but i am happy to meet ya kakegc, and if ya do ill tell all that ur a stand up guy too. better dr the bks lol ... only joking. thing is no poaching though! and ta geoff.
Bj if ya dont have an sp im happy to lend you one of mine for a week on the house to see what its like. just pm me

Take nothing from it JayK. I appreicate the input

MowerRob
27-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Kakegc - U say u dont see Jims as competition but u do VIP. That amazes me

How can VIP and Mr Clip for that matter make lots of money when they are still producing trailers where the mowers and equipment go in the trailer and any green waster goes on the back of the ute.
Hmmmy trailer holds 4 m3 how much can a ute hold if ya lucky 1.5-2 m3

But as the other threads states we will let them mow and let us Jimbos do all the gardening work

ian
27-07-2011, 11:39 PM
in my opinion if you have a full time offsider and aren't making at least $600 p/day it's not worth having one

BeetleJuice
28-07-2011, 12:53 AM
i have one,honda.But i prefer to push on some jobs.
As i'm not that keen on honda mowers.I used rover side catch when i was with VIP 28 years ago and those rovers "21" made the honda's look slow even after they have been turned up in revs.

Scooby Steve
28-07-2011, 06:14 AM

Kakegc welcome to the sh*t stirrers club mate love your work.

Scooby Steve
28-07-2011, 06:32 AM
in my opinion if you have a full time offsider and aren't making at least $600 p/day it's not worth having one

Agreed Ian but i would put it up to $700 as a min after you pay there wages etc it just wouldn't be worthwhile you may as well work by yourself otherwise.

As for the Jimbo's at the minute they are earning a fortune down here in Melb one reason for this is there (and i hate to say this) ability to get most of there work in the one suburb which saves time which then earns you more money.

Also I spoke to rooread the other day he told me to tell everyone to get with the times its now $1000 a day and his finished by 10am surfing by 10.30.

MowerRob
28-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Like ya work Scooby :laughing:

ian
28-07-2011, 08:40 AM
but scooby i think if an indy was willing to spend what $20,000-$30,000+ buying a round in 1 suburb then spend another $30,000 in advertising over 5 years and only accepted regular work in that suburb he could do the same thing
also i just thought of another advantage of having a paid offsider if i had one at the moment i would be at work instead of sitting down watching t.v and playing on the computer

BeetleJuice
28-07-2011, 10:13 AM
A

As for the Jimbo's at the minute they are earning a fortune down here in Melb one reason for this is there (and i hate to say this) ability to get most of there work in the one suburb which saves time which then earns you more money.

That is what the advantage was for me owning a franchise with VIP,you pick up jobs from outer suburbs give them 3 cuts and sell them off to another VIP contractor.

With some of the indy’s i talk to here locally in my area they would cross 6-8 suburbs with all there jobs,my brother inlaw which is a indy he would cover about the same and the only way he could reduce the travelling was to sell the customers he doesn’t want to VIP.

For me when i had the franchise after 3 years i got it narrowed down to 2 suburbs,and all achieved by buying the odd one from someone and selling one.Not one day where i would have travelled over 2kls.Most days would have 2 or 3 customers in one street.
But as we know all franchises have too many contractors and the good old days are gone now.

MowerRob
28-07-2011, 05:08 PM
That is what the advantage was for me owning a franchise with VIP,you pick up jobs from outer suburbs give them 3 cuts and sell them off to another VIP contractor.

With some of the indy’s i talk to here locally in my area they would cross 6-8 suburbs with all there jobs,my brother inlaw which is a indy he would cover about the same and the only way he could reduce the travelling was to sell the customers he doesn’t want to VIP.

For me when i had the franchise after 3 years i got it narrowed down to 2 suburbs,and all achieved by buying the odd one from someone and selling one.Not one day where i would have travelled over 2kls.Most days would have 2 or 3 customers in one street.
But as we know all franchises have too many contractors and the good old days are gone now.

Well whether you are a Franchisee or Indy if your work is of high standard you will never short of work.

If you are continually looking for work the name cowboy comes to mind be it and Indy or franchisee

I get a lot more phone calls coming in than I do going out

BeetleJuice
28-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Well whether you are a Franchisee or Indy if your work is of high standard you will never short of work.

If you are continually looking for work the name cowboy comes to mind be it and Indy or franchisee

I get a lot more phone calls coming in than I do going out
I really have no idea what your reply has got to do in what i said,you lost me.

MowerRob
28-07-2011, 05:53 PM

It was not directed at you I was making a general statement just replied with your quote

Scooby Steve
28-07-2011, 06:50 PM
We have all our work in 3 suburbs so doing 20 lawns a day is normal . You do the maths. A lawn takes 15-20 mins get 3 done an hr work for 8 - 9 hrs and taking your average $35 = $840 (would anyone like to disagree with this)

$35 MowerRob your too cheap mate but thats your call most of your bretheren are starting to nudge $50 down here, just think how much more you could be earning for less work. I know different states different rates but down here at that price you would be classed as a CAC (cheap ar*e charlie). Take it from somebody who has been around a while that doing 20 a day even with two will take its toll sooner or later better to charge a bit more and do less thats the way i do it anyway. When i first started i was at the lower end of the price scale which meant i had to do a fair few in a day to make decent money but i soon realised that i couldn't sustain that many in a day without burning both me and my partner out.

geoff
28-07-2011, 07:12 PM
why do we have a private memebers area is apparently a waste of time so it seems as you guys freely discuss rates , but thats ok go for it.....

Scooby Steve
28-07-2011, 07:35 PM
think about it its only 15 lawns to get 600 plus a day but he is probably getting more and thats just mowing....charging 100 bucks an hour plus for gardening one would think thats pretty easy.... Jayk mate i am with you , really this jims bashing is crap

You directing that at yourself as well Geoff lol?

geoff
28-07-2011, 07:38 PM
yep got caught up with moment i guess , but admin did warn us the private rea wouldnt last in similar words....thats ok probably good as the lurkers will up their prices and make it even better for us pros hey??

Scooby Steve
28-07-2011, 07:38 PM

Or here you crazy bugger are you getting stuck into the good scotch again lol.

Scooby Steve
28-07-2011, 07:41 PM
yep got caught up with moment i guess , but admin did warn us the private rea wouldnt last in similar words....thats ok probably good as the lurkers will up their prices and make it even better for us pros hey??

Or they will under cut us as usual thats ok as long as it keeps growing we will all have work.

cadase
28-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't use facebook,as you've probably already guessed. But i'd hate to think, if contractors put a link up to this site on their facebook page, and their customers saw this thread, :shifty
And what's wrong with Jim Bashing, if you can't do it on an Independent Lawn mowing Forum, I'd do it on the Jim's Forum but........ :)

Jayk
28-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I don't use facebook,as you've probably already guessed. But i'd hate to think, if contractors put a link up to this site on their facebook page, and their customers saw this thread, :shifty
And what's wrong with Jim Bashing, if you can't do it on an Independent Lawn mowing Forum, I'd do it on the Jim's Forum but........ :)

Indies dont get "bashed" on the jims forum. cowboys do though! ... and still waiting for a response to my pm kakegc!

cadase
28-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Indies dont get "bashed" on the jims forum. cowboys do though! ... and still waiting for a response to my pm kakegc!
I wouldn't know what's the link ? and password

Fred's mowing
28-07-2011, 08:02 PM

How do we get on the Jims forum Jayk?:big grin
Cheers Fred.

BeetleJuice
28-07-2011, 08:08 PM
And what's wrong with Jim Bashing
It's classed as low form,no business should bash another it only gets done for some king of self satisfaction which in turn can have other members seeing you as not a very good business man.( unethical)

Jayk
28-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Fair call fellas. i can tell ya that there arent any secrets though,.. much the same as this one, maybe not quite so much revving each other up though lol!
this one is far prettier too!

jayk

Fred's mowing
28-07-2011, 08:19 PM
How do we get on the Jims forum Jayk?:big grin
Cheers Fred.
Thats not answering the question Jayk:big grin
Cheers Fred.

cadase
28-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Fair call fellas. i can tell ya that there arent any secrets though,.. much the same as this one, maybe not quite so much revving each other up though lol!
this one is far prettier too!

jayk
a bit like the footy jayk, no fun when everyone barracks for the same team, :)

cadase
28-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Did i tell you how much i love victorians, :)
or is that unethical :)

MowerRob
28-07-2011, 11:32 PM
$35 MowerRob your too cheap mate but thats your call most of your bretheren are starting to nudge $50 down here, just think how much more you could be earning for less work. I know different states different rates but down here at that price you would be classed as a CAC (cheap ar*e charlie). Take it from somebody who has been around a while that doing 20 a day even with two will take its toll sooner or later better to charge a bit more and do less thats the way i do it anyway. When i first started i was at the lower end of the price scale which meant i had to do a fair few in a day to make decent money but i soon realised that i couldn't sustain that many in a day without burning both me and my partner out.

Read my reply Scooby I took his average not mine and my average reg cut is creeping past $45 so u can probably guess what I do make :D

Fred's mowing
28-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Read my reply Scooby I took his average not mine and my average reg cut is creeping past $45 so u can probably guess what I do make :D

I can feel a Maloo coming on!:big grin
Cheers Fred.

MowerRob
29-07-2011, 07:57 AM
I can feel a Maloo coming on!:big grin
Cheers Fred.

Only if he asks nicely :laughing:

Not this time its not worth it he doesnt even beleive some of the Indies can make those $$$ so why should I bother

Plus hes local might steal it if he knows I got one :wave-hi: (joke)

Scooby Steve
29-07-2011, 08:44 AM

My mistake MowerRob i should where my glasses more i mistook the word your for our i should have realised by now you r a pro, at $35 i was wondering how you would pay for the maloo's fuel bill but at $45 plus i see its well and truly covered lol.

Fred's mowing
29-07-2011, 12:05 PM
why do we have a private memebers area is apparently a waste of time so it seems as you guys freely discuss rates , but thats ok go for it.....
X2 but, the topic did'nt start out this way & as happens many a time it changes, as they say............... IT happens.

Fred's mowing
29-07-2011, 12:52 PM

Id have to go with the majority here, I think the figures quoted are achievable.
My one Quiery is though, are these figures quoted achieved on a constant basis?
( Im annoyed Im posting this stuff outside the garden...... anyhow)
Yes, there is more stress involved employing ppl but, without doubt if u do it correctly it is more profitable!
Dont see Bill Gates, Donald Trump or Jim penman doing it on their own.
Actually, I think its been a long time since Jimmy was on the end of a 196.
Never seen a single operator in their league.
You are the Boss, u call the shots, & u work the hours that u want to.
Kakegc, I think you're a real contributor to this sight, hope that does'nt change.
Bluey had me thinkin when he mentioned that some were frightened to post for fear of critisism, Im sure your not that thin skinned.
Im sure there is a certain amount of BS that goes on here. On the other hand, there are also those trying to encourage us to make a decent living........ what ever that may be?
Cheers Fred.
Ps, now follow me to the garden 4 the real debate!

BeetleJuice
29-07-2011, 01:34 PM
>>>>>>>>>...<<<<<<<<<<

cadase
29-07-2011, 03:19 PM
Good to put a face to the name BJ :)

Bluey
29-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Hmmmmm.......I reckon I have seen that face before. Let me think...ahhhhhhh yes. Here it is

MowerRob
29-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Hmmmmm.......I reckon I have seen that face before. Let me think...ahhhhhhh yes. Here it is

Im pretty sure I gave him $1 in Rundle Mall last week

Bluey
29-07-2011, 08:11 PM
$1......man that 2 lawns.....only kidding BJ....geting back for giving my email to those spammers.

Jayk
29-07-2011, 08:31 PM
ya need to get ur chompers fixed bud, as for the extreme attitude ....GIDDY UP!

BeetleJuice
29-07-2011, 10:44 PM
One of my grand kids said...

kakegc
31-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Kakegc welcome to the sh*t stirrers club mate love your work.

Thanks Steve! ;)

kakegc
31-07-2011, 07:22 PM

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ +1

kakegc
31-07-2011, 07:25 PM

I don't even know you Steve, but mate, I like you! You've got it sussed, that's for sure ;) Life style, life style, life style. But hey, what would I know? :)

kakegc
31-07-2011, 07:27 PM

No you're not Jayk ;)

kakegc
31-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Id have to go with the majority here, I think the figures quoted are achievable.
My one Quiery is though, are these figures quoted achieved on a constant basis?
( Im annoyed Im posting this stuff outside the garden...... anyhow)
Yes, there is more stress involved employing ppl but, without doubt if u do it correctly it is more profitable!
Dont see Bill Gates, Donald Trump or Jim penman doing it on their own.
Actually, I think its been a long time since Jimmy was on the end of a 196.
Never seen a single operator in their league.
You are the Boss, u call the shots, & u work the hours that u want to.
Kakegc, I think you're a real contributor to this sight, hope that does'nt change.
Bluey had me thinkin when he mentioned that some were frightened to post for fear of critisism, Im sure your not that thin skinned.
Im sure there is a certain amount of BS that goes on here. On the other hand, there are also those trying to encourage us to make a decent living........ what ever that may be?
Cheers Fred.
Ps, now follow me to the garden 4 the real debate!

Hi Fred, thanks, but I'm not mowing any more & am kind of wondering why I bothered to post here again? My future lies with trees & hopefully I'll enjoy a good life style from tree work. I'm currently studying my diploma in arb. To be very honest, I think it's time I bowed out of discussions on lawn mowing, as I won't be doing it again, ever. While I've cut enough grass to last many life times, I really enjoy what I do now & can't see myself going back. There are those who say that you can make $100 per hour cutting domestic grass in Adelaide. I say that's pure, unadulterated BS. The guys on zero turns should be able to do that on commercial jobs, but anyone who claims to be doing that in resi yards needs to have a good, long, hard look at themselves! With resi jobs, there is simply too much time travelling between jobs. Sydney, yes, Melbourne, maybe, Adelaide? hahahahaha! As an indy, we can quote trees, landscaping, irrigation, you name it. We can even do house removals if we want (I don't) Read the franchise agreements of the franchises! They are specifically barred from doing some of he stuff we do. This will be my last post here, as I'm sick of it to be honest. I'll delete my account once I post this one. My parting shot is to anyone who has been nuts enough to be a franchise for as long as 6 years! Aye Karumba! Why on earth would ANYONE with any get up & go do that? Don't reply, just think about it. I won't be coming back to read your response.

kakegc
31-07-2011, 08:04 PM
ADMIN: please delete my account as I can't find any way to do it on this new set up, thanks.

Jayk
31-07-2011, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=kakegc;75349]Hi Fred, thanks, but I'm not mowing any more & am kind of wondering why I bothered to post here again? My future lies with trees & hopefully I'll enjoy a good life style from tree work. I'm currently studying my diploma in arb. To be very honest, I think it's time I bowed out of discussions on lawn mowing, as I won't be doing it again, ever. While I've cut enough grass to last many life times, I really enjoy what I do now & can't see myself going back. There are those who say that you can make $100 per hour cutting domestic grass in Adelaide. I say that's pure, unadulterated BS. The guys on zero turns should be able to do that on commercial jobs, but anyone who claims to be doing that in resi yards needs to have a good, long, hard look at themselves! With resi jobs, there is simply too much time travelling between jobs. Sydney, yes, Melbourne, maybe, Adelaide? hahahahaha! As an indy, we can quote trees, landscaping, irrigation, you name it. We can even do house removals if we want (I don't) Read the franchise agreements of the franchises! They are specifically barred from doing some of he stuff we do. This will be my last post here, as I'm sick of it to be honest. I'll delete my account once I post this one. My parting shot is to anyone who has been nuts enough to be a franchise for as long as 6 years! Aye Karumba! Why on earth would ANYONE with any get up & go do that? Don't reply, just think about it. I won't be coming back to read your response.[/QUOTE

giddy up, good stuff in calling it the way you see it! times do change though mate. I am not trying to convert anyone to become a zee. I want to run my business better than i am now, hence signing up to this forum!

MowerRob
31-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Hi Fred, thanks, but I'm not mowing any more & am kind of wondering why I bothered to post here again? My future lies with trees & hopefully I'll enjoy a good life style from tree work. I'm currently studying my diploma in arb. To be very honest, I think it's time I bowed out of discussions on lawn mowing, as I won't be doing it again, ever. While I've cut enough grass to last many life times, I really enjoy what I do now & can't see myself going back. There are those who say that you can make $100 per hour cutting domestic grass in Adelaide. I say that's pure, unadulterated BS. The guys on zero turns should be able to do that on commercial jobs, but anyone who claims to be doing that in resi yards needs to have a good, long, hard look at themselves! With resi jobs, there is simply too much time travelling between jobs. Sydney, yes, Melbourne, maybe, Adelaide? hahahahaha! As an indy, we can quote trees, landscaping, irrigation, you name it. We can even do house removals if we want (I don't) Read the franchise agreements of the franchises! They are specifically barred from doing some of he stuff we do. This will be my last post here, as I'm sick of it to be honest. I'll delete my account once I post this one. My parting shot is to anyone who has been nuts enough to be a franchise for as long as 6 years! Aye Karumba! Why on earth would ANYONE with any get up & go do that? Don't reply, just think about it. I won't be coming back to read your response.

Haha spoke before ya could leave

You are a bigger idiot than I imagined

You say u are getting out of mowing and going into trees. Who would be the biggest group of ppl to service clients gardeJims VIP Mr Clip Indies and Cowboys. Who is the client going to ask to cut a tree down that that contractor cant do. Could of been u but u just burnt most of the people who could refer work to you .
And another point to your stupid post. Majority of my money comes from installing and repairing irrigation. New landscaping and rejuvenating . Cutting down trees . hey I even have done a house removal. We arent bound by any rules ya know it all .
But im glad we have people like you cos it makes the rest of us look good.
Franchisees have 1 suburb so if ya cant get it into ya head that we have most mows in a couple of streets we would be lucky to do 5 kms a day of travel enabling us to average 3 mows an hr (2 blokes).
On a parting word I wish u well from me and everyone on here cos I reckon we are all scratching our heads at you . You are a fool who is not willing to listen. If you came on here advertising that you were getting into tree removal u might of picked up work instead of losing work.

This is what I quote in mate obviously being a Jim brings no money in

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rgmast/IMG_0377-1-1.jpg

sorry Fred had to do it

cadase
31-07-2011, 09:49 PM
This is what I quote in mate obviously being a Jim brings no money in

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd98/rgmast/IMG_0377-1-1.jpg

sorry Fred had to do it
I think that sums up what he was talking about in the first place

Andy B
31-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Crikey, just read this thread for the first time, what a bunch of ... there's high and lows like a rollercoaster. :)

I thought the idea of going into business was to make as much money as you can! Stop wasting time on the bloody forum and get out there and earn some more you bunch of slackers! lol

P.S. Scooby does that renew my membership to the club?
P.P.S MowerRob stop teasing me with that bloody ute you know it'd look better with Victorian plates on it. :P

Classic Cut
01-08-2011, 05:34 PM
A message for the masses from Roo "Made a grand and knocked off at 3pm today and couldn't go surfing cause it was flat so I went fishing instead 'cause it was such a nice day.

Please feel to cut and paste.
Thanks fellas"

courty
01-08-2011, 06:19 PM
A message for the masses from Roo "Made a grand and knocked off at 3pm today and couldn't go surfing cause it was flat so I went fishing instead 'cause it was such a nice day.

Please feel to cut and paste.
Thanks fellas"

Haha,way to go Roo
Classic
Would be interested in hearing from your Jims perspective about the Coast. There a ****loads of us out on the roads around here but only a few post on here.

Scooby Steve
01-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Crikey, just read this thread for the first time, what a bunch of ... there's high and lows like a rollercoaster. :)

I thought the idea of going into business was to make as much money as you can! Stop wasting time on the bloody forum and get out there and earn some more you bunch of slackers! lol

P.S. Scooby does that renew my membership to the club?
P.P.S MowerRob stop teasing me with that bloody ute you know it'd look better with Victorian plates on it. :P

Yes it does lol.

AJD Mowing
01-08-2011, 06:57 PM
I have my rates that I charge and I know that they are compeditive so I don't budge from them. do you think people doing lawns for $20 will be around for long? They will be as rough as guts, back yard equipment,and little knowledge on how to run a business so dont wory about it cz you get this in all industries. Let the cheapies have the bad customers and the professionals can take the good ones..

MowerRob
01-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I think that sums up what he was talking about in the first place

Who what when?

Classic Cut
01-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Courty I see ya around coming in or out the tip but never unloading at the same time. I suppose it's it hard to recognise all 60+ of us Jim's. It was a long hot wet summer that lasted for seven months well into April. One thing that this dry cold run on the coast will do is sort the cowboys from the good operators. If your not doing gardening at the moment your make no money, with all lawns being 6 to 8 weeks. I think it's too cold for the weeds to even grow, bring on the rain I say.

Jayk
01-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Yes it does lol.

you a scuba diver scooby?

Scooby Steve
01-08-2011, 09:52 PM
you a scuba diver scooby?

Would like to try it mate but dont get to the time fishings more my go. Regarding the name Scooby Steve i was watching the Adam Sandler flick Big Daddy which has a charactor in it called Scooby Steve when i joined and i needed a on-line name so i went with it. I have done snorkeling up in the Whitsundays which was fantastic its a different world down there. You do any scuba diving yourself?

Jayk
01-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Would like to try it mate but dont get to the time fishings more my go. Regarding the name Scooby Steve i was watching the Adam Sandler flick Big Daddy which has a charactor in it called Scooby Steve when i joined and i needed a on-line name so i went with it. I have done snorkeling up in the Whitsundays which was fantastic its a different world down there. You do any scuba diving yourself?

top movie scooby! i do heaps of scubadiving. most in sa though ... good stuff but the vis isnt as good as the Whitsundays! beauty in a diff way i guess here!
ive done some diving on the great barrier reef and it was tops! there was a huge cod ... prob about 1 metre long ...maybe! that kept following us for pats and hugs. it was like a big puupy!

BeetleJuice
01-08-2011, 11:25 PM
I have my rates that I charge and I know that they are compeditive so I don't budge from them. do you think people doing lawns for $20 will be around for long? They will be as rough as guts, back yard equipment,and little knowledge on how to run a business so dont wory about it cz you get this in all industries. Let the cheapies have the bad customers and the professionals can take the good ones..
There’s plenty of guys out there in the industry that would cut a nature strip or front yard in there round for $20 providing it’s near another job and cut it well without being cowboys.
Plus everyone has to learn how do run a business from scratch or worked with someone that showed them the do’s and don’ts. No UNI degree required to cut lawns.

Andy B
02-08-2011, 09:43 AM
There’s plenty of guys out there in the industry that would cut a nature strip or front yard in there round for $20 providing it’s near another job and cut it well without being cowboys.
Plus everyone has to learn how do run a business from scratch or worked with someone that showed them the do’s and don’ts. No UNI degree required to cut lawns.

Minimum charge. ;)

BeetleJuice
02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
To all those down south (South Australia that is)
Did you get the reply you wanted ??

courty
02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Courty I see ya around coming in or out the tip but never unloading at the same time. I suppose it's it hard to recognise all 60+ of us Jim's. It was a long hot wet summer that lasted for seven months well into April. One thing that this dry cold run on the coast will do is sort the cowboys from the good operators. If your not doing gardening at the moment your make no money, with all lawns being 6 to 8 weeks. I think it's too cold for the weeds to even grow, bring on the rain I say.

What vehicle are you driving? I will keep an eye out for you.
60 Jimbo's,jeez I knew there would be a lot but I didn't think there would be that many on the Coast.
Rain would be great but we are entering our 2 driest months now.I can take on more work but it hasn't been to bad,I don't have anyone thats longer than 3 weekly with most still fortnightly as most of my clients are lawn and garden.

SM MOWING
02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Far out....i got more than i bargined for!!!! lots of good info though and much appreciated! ive been out of action since i couldnt remember my password arrhhhh....so many accounts these days so many passwords and variations of passwords ...howsimple life was before "the internet"

Jayk
02-08-2011, 10:07 PM
ya started a sh%^ storm mate lol!
me ribs are still sore with t he beatin i took!
Lawns will fire up here in another 3-4wks i think, best time to make some good coin!

james

63impala
02-08-2011, 10:24 PM
You guys worked as a team and put alote of time and eveffert in to this and I thank you 63Impala pimpin yellow.....;frosty;:dance:pop:pop worm:noel

Jayk
02-08-2011, 11:06 PM
You guys worked as a team and put alote of time and eveffert in to this and I thank you 63Impala pimpin yellow.....;frosty;:dance:pop:pop worm:noel

rock n roll! ...........

MowerRob
03-08-2011, 08:01 AM
And the biggest mouth of them all couldnt handle it and had a sook and wants himself deleted wonder if everything he does in life he just trys and deletes if it doesnt go his way

Andy B
16-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Hey MowerRob, let me know when you're ready to upgrade. I'm happy to drive this over for you if you order one. :D

http://www.walkinshawperformance.com.au/wp/au/news/news.asp?ID=366

MowerRob
16-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Hey MowerRob, let me know when you're ready to upgrade. I'm happy to drive this over for you if you order one. :D

http://www.walkinshawperformance.com.au/wp/au/news/news.asp?ID=366

I will pass thanx put all engine and driveline upgrades on a normal maloo and maybe but that canopy just does nothing for me