PDA

View Full Version : G'day

Bob
13-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Hi all

I've been looking at Indi mowing's site for ages, but only just noticed a link to the forum. Fantastic stuff.

I've been mowing on and off for thirty years, in between shearing, but have been mowing fulltime now for a few years, and just love the freedom. I reckon mowers are great blokes all told, which must have something to do with the honesty of the job I guess.

I carry a few niggling injuries so I target just the mowing now, no yard clean ups and tip runs for me. Just cruising.

Looking forward to chatting and making a few posts.

Bob.

administrator
13-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Bob do your mates call u shearer

welcome and theres nothing like a 30 yearer to help every body along

well done Bob :)

Tim from HMS
15-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi Bob :wave-hi:

Welcome. As a newbie to the industry I look forward to your insights!

Cheers

bigG
16-09-2006, 10:18 AM
hey bob :wave-hi:

twin_cities_lawncare
16-09-2006, 02:15 PM
:wave-hi: Bob...
Wow 30 years - that's good going. We celebrated our first year in the business yesterday, so 30 years seems like a lifetime from where we sit. It's great to hear that you can pick and choose your jobs now too - the advantage of being your own boss, eh? We're still pleased to take on most jobs that come our way, but I'm sure we'll be able to be more selective as time goes on, too.

:aus-flag: Yeah for the hard-working dinkum Aussies

Bob
16-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Hi Admin how are you :) . No most of my mates are shearers too, but they were calling me ' Jim ' there for a while, which was only funny half the time :laughing: :mad: .

I probably sounded like a real old bugger, but I'm only 41. I started at around eleven years old, out in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
Dad made me a mower cart out of an old wheelbarrow frame, and I use to push my Victa, petrol can and broom rake and shovel in it. I started at $10 had heaps of jobs on from the word go. All by door knocking, which I baulked at as I grew older, and especially now with all the sales stuff that people have to put up with at their front door, but as a kid you didnt think twice about it.
It used to make me so sore though, and it wasnt until I was 14 and left school that I was pain free with it. God the cash I had then :cool: . Found a partner with a ute and bought a trailer, then extended our areas. Started on my own once I bought my first ute.

Freedom.......but could'nt get finance though, which was always the biggest problem, and eventually you have to get out of it and place yourself somewhere that can set you up.
But the mowing always draws you back, and you learn to set yourself up a bit better each time, which is always a lot of fun. I'm going through a change at the moment, and are dropping down from my heavy caged trailer to a small flash 5x3. It's been a busy week with all the mowing and trying getting the new trailer ready.
Gunna do something a bit different with the new one but not 100% sure what yet.

Should have it done in a week or two, so I'll post up some pics of it.

Hi Tim, good on you :) :cool:

Hi Big G :wave-hi:

Hi Twin Cities :wave-hi: . Yeah I will be dropping a few dollars, but the knees and elbows said knock it off. I actually enjoy the yard clean ups and are missing it already. Some are good paying are'nt they. Dissappointed a few clients with it I but had to make the change.
Congrats on your anniversary too, you have a good set up for sure.