PDA

View Full Version : my new trailer boxes and ute crane

happymowin
23-07-2011, 06:21 PM
the crane, its been wired in and now has a poly pipe cover over it.

happymowin
23-07-2011, 06:23 PM
the mower box, honda in one side, drawer, tools and oils in the other

interestingly, as a carpenter i make a good lawnie - the drawer and the adjustments to the box and doors took me 6 hours.

then the next day i had to take it all off again to square the box up properly, and bolt everything down again

happymowin
23-07-2011, 06:24 PM
made this box for the whippys and pole chain saw. keeps em locked up and out of weather.

thanks to the indy who got me thinking about this way again.

made it from an old toolbox that whiteants had eaten the bottom out of.

happymowin
23-07-2011, 06:25 PM
this is the step i made on the drawbar so i can access the top toolbox.

didnt want to put my foot thru the drawbar, and trip over, snapping my leg.

the step has an extra tread now, covering those long bolts. (and i cut the top off the bolts.)

happymowin
23-07-2011, 06:26 PM
i'm gonna use the ute for all the clippings, using the winch to crane on the bulka bags ( 90 X 90 X 90 cm bags like a wool bale, with lifting handles) for the bigger push jobs (sick of lifting honda bag up above head) and for the GHS walker when i get it.

Jayk
23-07-2011, 09:14 PM

the step has an extra tread now, covering those long bolts. (and i cut the top off the bolts.)

nice work happy! good idea with the wood on the drawbar. the northen sa franchisor broke his leg years ago on the draw bar. story we all get told at training.

simo
24-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey happy at first glance i was thinking those wooden boxes won`t last the distance, but at closer inspection i see they are very well made and would be great..I`ve always thought about making custom boxes like this but not sure my handy work and patience is strong enough...well done

happymowin
24-07-2011, 10:28 AM
thanks simo. the mower box is only 12 mm ply, but has a 30mm x 40 mm hardwood frame all around, and has metal angle strips on the 4 external joined corners, siliconed in place. (lol, the hardwood i got off a customers vacant block for free, 50 lengths x 4 metres of 100mm x 30 mm rough sawn hardwood. Lovely stuff)

the whippy box i made 10 yrs ago for my ute, and was used for the last 5 yrs in the kids playground. the ants got into it a bit, but i chopped the bottom off anyway to make it 240 mm deep. its 19 mm marine ply. last another 20 yrs s'long as i keep paint on it.

i hate making stuff and having it fall apart.

watlebird mowing
24-07-2011, 11:08 AM
that all looks great mate, I'm thinking I need to build a snipper box like that now!
is it a pain folding the handles on the mower every time you use it?

happymowin
24-07-2011, 04:14 PM
wattle, i've done it from day one, so i dont think its a pita.

ya just gotta watch the 3 cables, where they get folded, ya gotta tuck them inside the front wheel height adjust bar? and the mower , so they dont get snagged, or fold weird. Touch wood, still on my first set of cables, after 2 yrs. i HAVE lost one of the plastic handles , but i found one months before in a jungle i mowed, so i was set.

Andy B
24-07-2011, 06:13 PM
That ute crane will also come in handy out in Coober Pedy.... never seen so many ute crane anywhere in my travels. :D

4 Gardens
25-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Love the step - just went and made my own as I nearly fall through the drawer bar everyday - THANKS

TomS
16-02-2012, 08:49 PM
I have two 6x4s. Firstly because I had them and didn't have any money, and because a big heavy trailer would blow up my VW Van. (It blew up the van anyway. Buy a manual)

I use a 6x4 for rubbish removal. With 4' gates I can get 3cubic metres and with judicious jumping up and down on the load, its been ok. My gates are just weldmesh secured with shackles. They are great because I can just undo the schackles, push the gates up over the sides and remove.. then push off the load with a pitchfork. The other guys are still shovelling out their big trailers while I am loading the gates and on my way.

My mowing trailer is also a 6x4.. a tradies's trailer with ladderack. two mowers fit in the back with handles poking out over the tailgate which is secured with a chain. everything is locakable, and if I fold the handles, weatherproof too. I have a mesh basket for grass bags on the drawbar.

Having a long drawbar is great.. they back better, apart from having space for a toolbox or whatever. Your local engineering shop will sort you out!

You use this every day, its worth the investment in getting it sorted so it works for you.

Tom