PDA

View Full Version : Residual poison for gravel paths

BCMS
08-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi All,

Can anyone recomend a good residual poison for paths and driveways. I have some gravel ones and some that are Dromana or Lilydale toppings and the clients want them sprayed with something that will keep the weeds away?

Cheers
Jake

08-08-2011, 09:02 PM
Simazine.
Unless you have a license you can only get it in a diluted concentrate. 400ml / 9L
Brunnings once a year path weed spray.
Around $12 per 1L bottle at hardware stores.
Because of its nature thats the best you can get at retail.

PaulG
08-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Any of the specific once a year path-weed powders or solutions will do the trick.

This is the one I've used with good results but the 200 gram box (around $25 - $30) will only do 40 sq. metres.
http://www.yates.com.au/products/weed-control/gardens-paths-and-driveways-non-selective-control/yates-once-a-year-path-weeder-concentrate/

There are others that will go a bit further for less cost but I can't recall their names.

Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
08-08-2011, 09:15 PM
why not just spray it every fortnight and make money out of it

BCMS
08-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Cheers Guys,
I will grab some of the once a year stuff, I wonder how close you can use it to a lawn edge?

I tried this approach, I liked it but the clients didn't seem to like the extra cost for some reason

Cranbourne Lawnmowing
08-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Cheers Guys,
I will grab some of the once a year stuff, I wonder how close you can use it to a lawn edge?

I tried this approach, I liked it but the clients didn't seem to like the extra cost for some reason

Yeah I 've found the same thing BC. Besides money or not I don't want to have to stuff around spraying gravel driveways and paths every time I visit. The only thing that worries me about residule poisons is if they will spread into the lawns and garden beds beside the gravel.

imoww
08-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I second that.
Get the Round up going for cash...

BugPatrol
19-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi All,

Can anyone recomend a good residual poison for paths and driveways. I have some gravel ones and some that are Dromana or Lilydale toppings and the clients want them sprayed with something that will keep the weeds away?

Cheers
Jake

Pramitol
Surflan
Garland (triclopyr)

Have to be careful with these, as they will affect any feeder roots of nearby plants. I prefer pramitol or Garland. Garland can also be used on stumps (paint it on) of undesirable plants. Won't grow for a long time.

bb1
10-09-2011, 04:11 PM

I tried this approach with some of mine, but than with all the wet weather, ended up 2 or 3 visits between spays, so the weeds started looking shabby. And didnt want to go back between visits just to spray.

PaulG
10-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Some feedback on the Yates Once A Year I referred to earlier.

Was at that same job last week ( it is a regular gardening job) and the paved area I did in late March has started sprouting weeds again. Not impressed with Yates' claims. Once A Year looks like it will need to be Twice A Year.

bb1
10-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Some feedback on the Yates Once A Year I referred to earlier.

Was at that same job last week ( it is a regular gardening job) and the paved area I did in late March has started sprouting weeds again. Not impressed with Yates' claims. Once A Year looks like it will need to be Twice A Year.

I don't find that the once a years, are really once a year.

Dogz
10-09-2011, 06:45 PM
It's probably once a year only if the conditions are favourable for that year and when it went down. Also check that's what's sprouting up is on the label coz it won't kill everything!

Bluey
10-09-2011, 09:43 PM
Absolutely. My back pack sprayer is my best friend and a great earner.