Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Rover Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled

Default Re: Rover Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled

Haven't tried it yet. I had no long grass at my house when i got it home so ran it over some 1 foot tall annuals in the garden bed. Seemed to go alright, was impressed by how fine it chopped up. I actually thought the deck chute was blocked cause i couldn't see much coming out. I'll let you know how it goes but not much long grass around now. Amazing how things have changed since Easter. The grass has stopped growing.

Hi steveo
    When I had a rover dealer here he told me those rear side discharge chutes were no good. He reckoned they clogged up. Only passing on what I was told.
    Cheers
    hjl

Hi HJL, I did see your previous post saying that but I bought it anyway just to try. I have no side throw capability at all at the moment so I am hoping it fills the gap.
    I just need a feral lawn to try it on now.

Tried the rover deflector today on grass that was not even 6 inches high and slightly moist. Faaaark what a disapointment. Clogged up within seconds and back on the ute within a minute. The whole rover thing has been a big disapointment for me. It's back to the Honda for me, next mower will be a victa mulch and side throw. The rover gets relegated back to the shed. The only use I can see for it is to catch wet lawns. What must the same deflector be like on the 22inch? Ha ha, good one Rover, at least you sold one deflector, unfortunately it was to me.

So lets have a look at this..
    Someone says..those rear side discharge chutes were no good

So you get one and it's no good

Are we better off..Nope...So what's the problem..nuttin

not sure I get it.

Hey Steveo,it probably will work alright with tall dry grass.

You could cut a section out with tin snips or angle grinder just to open it up a bit more,don't really think it needs to end up as a useless item.
    Give it a go and let us know mate.

It could even be on the opposite to what i marked,when grass enters the catcher it hits the left hand side of the catcher and bounces in.See if you can work it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Hey Steveo,it probably will work alright with tall dry grass.

You could cut a section out with tin snips or angle grinder just to open it up a bit more,don't really think it needs to end up as a useless item.
    Give it a go and let us know mate.

It could even be on the opposite to what i marked,when grass enters the catcher it hits the left hand side of the catcher and bounces in.See if you can work it out.

Yeah, worth a shot. I think the design has been over complicated for some reason, there are two many corners and angles and the chute is too narrow. I didn't really check to see where it was getting stuck as there was a customer looking down on me from up in the 2nd storey. I thought at over $60 dollars it couldn't be that bad. Might be usefull in dry grass but most mowers are ok in dry grass. It'll have a purpose just dunno what right now.

As soon as I saw that pic of that rover deflector I said "faaaark, that aint gonna work!!!!!!" I made my own as I needed it tomorrow for a particular job, so I went downstairs to the workshop and made one. Have used it numerous times since (even on wet grass) and is the best hour I have invested in making stuff. About to have tea but will post some pics later. When there's a will, there is a way, but Mr Rovers' way is obviously very wrong on this one.

The trick is to carry the right tool for the job, but you can't always carry 3 mowers. It's a real balancing act this game. You either carry a massive amount of stuff that only gets used a few times OR you spend a good amount of time packing and unpacking stuff from your trailer in the shed. Comes down to time management and being organised enough to lump certain jobs together. It's not easy that's for sure. Like Dean says in his book anyone can mow a lawn but not everyone can make a living from it. Anyway without this site i would have given up by now for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by troppo View Post
    As soon as I saw that pic of that rover deflector I said "faaaark, that aint gonna work!!!!!!" I made my own as I needed it tomorrow for a particular job, so I went downstairs to the workshop and made one. Have used it numerous times since (even on wet grass) and is the best hour I have invested in making stuff. About to have tea but will post some pics later. When there's a will, there is a way, but Mr Rovers' way is obviously very wrong on this one.
    Good stuff mate, would love to see a pic.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Makeshift grass deflector.
    Saw a old lawnie once use a old truck flap. Used a chain each side to hook it onto the handlebars and the flap rested on the top edge. Worked well. No blockage and no grass all over him.

The trick is though that if something went wrong. i.e. injury to a bystander, you need to make it look as per the manufacture intended to cover yourself. If it is too heavily modified you might get in trouble. that is why i always try and stick to a manufactured product or at least be sure I can make it look like I hadn't altered anything. Having said that I'd love to just pull that flap right up and wear a set of green cricket pads.

2014_05_13_1637.jpgIMG_20140404_143918_835.jpgHope I haven't built you up too much, but the deflector I made is for a HRU 195, but you'll get the idea. You are already on the right track by mentioning the angles - way too tight on the OEM one. I would make 2 cuts top and bottom at the rear and bend the back wall back to say 45 degrees then fill in the resulting triangles with something. To keep it looking like OEM, I would try to find some black plastic sheet. Try a plastic welding outfit would be a good place to start. My only problem with mine is that it sprays the grass so far and hard that if it hits a wall or whatever, it stays there. Just make sure you leave enough room for you feet while walking.

looks good Troppo. Simple, neat and professional looking.

Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 LastLast