Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Rover Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled

Question Rover Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled

Hi

Does anyone own one of these ?? Please comment especially if you have owned a Honda etc and let me know if this is the right machine to buy for my next mower.....

http://www.rovermowers.com.au/www/ro...age&AutoFramed

they are about 400 cheaper than the Honda top of the line ....

I Know this seem like an endless question on this site but if owners of this machine can do add some proactive feed back this would be most appreciated

( or maybe the $600 Toro from bunnings might do ;-) )

Magoo
    Last edited by MAGOO; 06-09-2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Rover Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled

I have had two Rovers and two Honda's from new and have been given a few Hondas over the years. The Rover cuts wet grass much better than the Honda as the whole chute is available to take the grass into the catcher because the gearbox is on top of the deck. I hated the small fuel tank on it (500ml?) compared to the Honda 2 Litre tank. I had to top it up before most jobs or it would run out near the end of the second job if I tried to do two lawns on one tank. It was always a little harder to start and with the pull start on the mower you would have to bend down and pull it right back which was also annoying compared to the Honda where you could stand straight and give a slight pull from waist height and it would start. I also didn't like the catcher as it seemed to hold a lot less than the mesh catcher of the Honda. Another of the Rovers strong points is the bolts on the axle can be tightened so it cuts nice and flat and doesn't give you swirl marks like the Hondas can give on slopes when the Honda's plastic bushes wear out.

If you are cutting a lot of wet or thick grass it is an awesome mower or if you are cutting high end lawns it cuts beautifully. If you are cutting rougher lawns then Honda is better. Neither mower is perfect and they both have their pro's and cons. One of each is ideal. If you already have a Honda I would definitely recommend the Rover so you have the option depending on the type of lawn you are mowing, or if you have a wet period you can use the Rover until it slows down where the Honda can handle once it has dried out.

As Stripes said, the Rover is better in some ways and not as good as a Honda in others, but I have a Pro cut 560 and a 50 which is the 20" self propelled, it's a great machine if you don't have the dollars for the 560 or the Honda. I use it on my more intricate lawns as the 560 is a bit harder to maneuver around in tight areas.

I'm picking up my Pro cut tomorrow morning. Its the pushie version though, with the Briggs 850 series engine. You can pick up a bargain atm with them, alot of the dealers are getting rid of the old engine options. I paid 750 for mine, and they have a few other models left including sp with 750 and 850 series engines on them.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

Very Helpful Member

if anyone is interested Bunnings (scoresby) had rover airfilters reduced to clear at about $8 also have that aerosol wasp nest spray $5
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Magoo, I use the 560 all the time and it goes great. As said above it has pros and cons over the Honda, but for me the biggest is the gear box and it's setup. It is much much stronger then the Honda with a chain drive and easily repaired or replaced if anything happens which is not common. It is heavy but so is the Honda, does the job efficiently, doesn't have a blade break, another huge plus and you aren't paying for the Honda name. Save yourself several hundred and go with the Rover

i have a rover 560 also cuts well, mulches well, small fuel tank is a pain and it is a bugger to start, any one got any tips on improving the start, it has new plug and just serviced.
    with all that compression it takes a lot to get it turning, sometimes 6 to 7 gos to start it

Quote Originally Posted by Redlandsguy View Post
    Magoo, I use the 560 all the time and it goes great. As said above it has pros and cons over the Honda, but for me the biggest is the gear box and it's setup. It is much much stronger then the Honda with a chain drive and easily repaired or replaced if anything happens which is not common. It is heavy but so is the Honda, does the job efficiently, doesn't have a blade break, another huge plus and you aren't paying for the Honda name. Save yourself several hundred and go with the Rover
    Hey

If OK with you can I come out one day and mow a lawn or 2 with you ?? or you can come over and mow my lawn !! lol

I have tried and tries to ask for a sample mower but no one lets you try before you buy.... I have even called Rover head office in australia and got some rude guy telling me they wont ... '

If OK PM me or call me one day on 0466 35 1978

Cheers

Magoo

Do different engines come with different fuel tanks, I'm a bit put off by a 500ml tank?

They must, because I done 8 lawns today on one tank, and not sure how much is still left, but there is still fuel in it. Mine has the 850 series on it, and you practically just idle through 3 week long lawns. I was impressed with its first days work, but mines not sp.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

How big do you think the tank might be stump? I couldn't find any info on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    How big do you think the tank might be stump? I couldn't find any info on it.
    According to this, it's 1.1L for 850 & 875 engines.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm interested in a Pro Cut 50,called into a dealer yesterday to find out costs etc. Dealer tells me he has given Rover the flick as the new ones are ****,every one he sold to a contractor came back.They are now owned by MTD apparently?.
    I'd really like a smaller SP as a lot of my lawns would be a PITA with a 21".
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

i dont think the new honda is much better. i am now leaning to the rover. yes they do die after a year or two, but they are outlivin me new honda. if you ask your local mower shop they should be able to put an engine of your choice on it. at mine they have the option of the commercial honda or maybe even the new kohler.
    "Time trial. Start as fast as possible, finish as fast as possible and hope it is fast enough,"

Quote Originally Posted by courty View Post
    I'm interested in a Pro Cut 50,called into a dealer yesterday to find out costs etc. Dealer tells me he has given Rover the flick as the new ones are ****,every one he sold to a contractor came back.They are now owned by MTD apparently?.
    I'd really like a smaller SP as a lot of my lawns would be a PITA with a 21".
    Mine was second hand when I bought it and teh deck is still very good, engine is worn but I am replacing it with another Intek instead of the newer 850. Will also get the drive serviced and teh pawls in particular replaced, apart from some paint missing it will be virtually a a new mower. Also a lot cheaper then a new mower!

Page 1 of 72 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 LastLast