Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Rover Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled

Default Re: Rover Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled

so today i put in a snorkel kit ( home made), and finally it is sucking clean air.
    I removed the entire filter box, cut off the rear air inlet, then fitted a large (24mm?) irrigation fitting.
    connected a piece of corrugated tubing (washing machine).
    I then sealed the entire box, all the edges with duct tape, so it is completely air tight. The idea is I remove the box after the first month, unseal then clean the large original filter if needed, with trial i should work out how regularly this need to be done, but it only takes s bolts to remove so it is no drama.
    I have connected a victa filter to the top, but still need to make a small cover for it to keep it dry.
    Will either get an old victa piece from a mower shop or make one from a bottle.
    Started it up and it runs sweet, no need to rejet, maybe i will get a few more years out of it now, and save on filters..
    My honda snorkel has never worked real well, so as i was on a roll, I pulled that box and duct taped the whole thing also.
    Dust begone, maybe this will spur on the weather gods and bring some rain now, so i can get back to 2 weekly mows and earn some good money for winter

Anyone with the 560 using the heavy blades having issues with the blade disc distorting?
    I've had to straighten mine out a few times now. The outer rim of the disc bends up and then the blades turn heel down. Results in unusual blade wear, robs power from the engine and the deck will drag through the turf if cutting thick grass.

I've got mine now so that the blade tip is 12mm lower than the front of the deck, but not sure that is enough.

The thing that worries me a bit is it is quite easy to bend the disc back into shape, and also it bends out of shape pretty quickly too. Because the disc is officially supposed to use the light blades (which are not available) I wonder if the heavy blades will cause premature metal fatigue.
    I don't use mine as much as most( probably 250 hrs in 12 months) and it doesn't get abused as far as hitting stumps or rocks.

Just wonder if others have similar issues or thoughts.

why dont you just file the holes in the blade holder a little bigger with a round file and use honda blades and bolts and the disc on the inside no more problems and a lot cheaper been using it like this fpr 12 month now easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jjkremer View Post
    why dont you just file the holes in the blade holder a little bigger with a round file and use honda blades and bolts and the disc on the inside no more problems and a lot cheaper been using it like this fpr 12 month now easy.
    I'd be doing this Ed,been meaning to do it myself for a while but the Rover doesn't see as much work as it used to seeing as the wife prefers the Honda.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Thanks JJ & Courty. Yes I've heard about this before but couldn't convince myself that it would work.
    I'm using ASP blades at the moment and they are 120mm long from centre of hole. I've got 4mm clearance from the side of the deck.
    The honda blades are 124mm long so they must go terribly close to the deck, even allowing for the 1.5mm gained by opening up the hole.

But I'll give it a go because it must work.

So JJ, I leave the flat of the hole where it is, and work inwards towards the centre of the disc to make the 16mm?
    Do you still use a D plate with the honda blades?

On the topic of blades, last week I noticed the rover not catching grass in the catcher properly. On lengthy grass( 20-30cm) it's basically clogging up inside the mower and the catcher barely half full. I sharpened the blades thinking that was the problem but still seems to be doing the same. Do I just need to replace the blades? and if so where do I get em? Is there any other issue as to why its not catching?
    Cheers.
    MIGHTY MOW Lawn & Garden Services
    Brett Youlten
    Mob: 0415 112 163
    Web: www.mightymow.com.au

Email: info@mightymow.com.au
    Proudly Australian Owned

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettly View Post
    On the topic of blades, last week I noticed the rover not catching grass in the catcher properly. On lengthy grass( 20-30cm) it's basically clogging up inside the mower and the catcher barely half full. I sharpened the blades thinking that was the problem but still seems to be doing the same. Do I just need to replace the blades? and if so where do I get em? Is there any other issue as to why its not catching?
    Hi Brett,

How old are the blades on your machine?

My blades were quite worn on the flutes during the dry and dusty spring/summer while the blades were still sharp... 1 flute had actually broke off completely (it must have been like sandpaper just consistently wearing with heat and friction)... worn or bent flutes will definately effect the lift of the grass... i also think it effects the mulching (somewhat) as its technically not being repeatedly thrown up to slice and dice even finer.

Overall, i don't catch many lawns anymore... but most that i do catch (even long) really fill the catcher... Is the grass long and really wet and soggy?

I get aftermarket blades for $10each from my local dealer.

Are you using original Rover blades or aftermarket blades?

Simmo.

Yea I'm using the original blades, haven't been replaced since I've had the mower, sharpened them once or twice but that's about it so I'm gathering the flutes are worn and that's the problem. Looks like it needs a visit to the docs next week.
    Cheers.
    Brett Youlten

Proudly Australian Owned

hi edbeek you just have a honda bolt handy and file the hole till the bolt fits nicely and use the honda d plate if you want to use the rover d plate you will have to file those holes also the 124mm honda buffalo blades fit no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by brettly View Post
    Hi Brettly, Neither my 22" or 20" Rover Procuts handle catching long grass very well. The long leafy grass like paspalum, Kikuyu, Love grass is the worst. Seems to have trouble getting the long leaves through the chute. It handles overgrown couch much better. Even though the volume of clippings off long couch is greater, because they are shorter pieces, they seem to travel through the chute better. (if that makes sense)

My self drive on the 560 packed it in today. Started jumping on the ring gear in the wheels and eventually, I think the roll pin in the chain cog on the axle dropped out. New wheels, drive pinions and pawls on order.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Hi Brettly, Neither my 22" or 20" Rover Procuts handle catching long grass very well. The long leafy grass like paspalum, Kikuyu, Love grass is the worst. Seems to have trouble getting the long leaves through the chute. It handles overgrown couch much better. Even though the volume of clippings off long couch is greater, because they are shorter pieces, they seem to travel through the chute better. (if that makes sense)

My self drive on the 560 packed it in today. Started jumping on the ring gear in the wheels and eventually, I think the roll pin in the chain cog on the axle dropped out. New wheels, drive pinions and pawls on order.
    Yea, buffalo n couch it goes through with ease but normally those lawns arnt feral or overly long. Unfortunate news on your 560..have you had it long?, how many lawns a week?. I've noticed on my 560 with it off and wheeling it one way it's slightly jamming on the cogwheel. May need greasing.

Let us know how u go with that. DavidS on here is the man that knows a fair bit about this particular mower.
    Cheers.
    Brett Youlten

Proudly Australian Owned

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post

Yea, buffalo n couch it goes through with ease but normally those lawns arnt feral or overly long. Unfortunate news on your 560..have you had it long?, how many lawns a week?. I've noticed on my 560 with it off and wheeling it one way it's slightly jamming on the cogwheel. May need greasing.

Let us know how u go with that. DavidS on here is the man that knows a fair bit about this particular mower.
    Last edited by administrator; 01-03-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Cheers.
    Brett Youlten

Proudly Australian Owned

A good thing to remember if you want a 560 to fill the catcher is to keep under the mower very clean. Any build up of wet grass anywhere under the mower will cause the mower to clog before filling the catcher. Good idea to fully clean under the mower between jobs especially in wet weather if possible. Had a new client ask me yesterday if I disinfected the mower between jobs to stop bringing weeds into her sir walter lawn Yeh right!!

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by head1956 View Post
    A good thing to remember if you want a 560 to fill the catcher is to keep under the mower very clean. Any build up of wet grass anywhere under the mower will cause the mower to clog before filling the catcher. Good idea to fully clean under the mower between jobs especially in wet weather if possible. Had a new client ask me yesterday if I disinfected the mower between jobs to stop bringing weeds into her sir walter lawn Yeh right!!
    of cause i do i will also set up a force field to stop the wind and birds dropping weed seeds on your lawn
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    of cause i do i will also set up a force field to stop the wind and birds dropping weed seeds on your lawn
    Haha, now that's a good one,

Page 25 of 72 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 LastLast