Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Rover Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled

Default Re: Rover Pro Cut 560 Mulch 'N Catch self propelled

Quote Originally Posted by cadase View Post
    Don't think packing up the blade carrier will work tried 3 washers last night and didn't like the amount of purchase on that centre bolt. maybe a mixture of blade carrier washer(s) / extra blade washer(s) / grind the bottom of the black catcher holder. I don't scalp lawns but definitely need to get a closer cut than this p.o.s can do. Either way very disappointed with this mower after liking the procut 50
    Maybe just cut my loses and relegate this to a backup, and buy a honda from speedway
    tried 3 washers last night

So those 3 washers sat inside the boss when the centre bolt was tightened up..YES ?- NO?

Because those washers can not be any wider then that 21mm shaft
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    tried 3 washers last night

So those 3 washers sat inside the boss when the centre bolt was tightened up..YES ?- NO?

Because those washers can not be any wider then that 21mm shaft
    If you want to lower the blades, the easiest and most secure way is to spin up a collar on the lathe to go around the shaft between the top end of the blade boss and the ridge of the crankshaft/output shaft.
    Make the collar as thick as the amount of drop you need. Make sure you use a longer High tensile bolt to allow for the extra distance it has to go in before it threads.
    Don't bugger around with bits of washers and wrong size/strength bolts or you're setting yourself up for a catastrophy.

I've had a disc assembly come off a brand new stock standard HRU in it's first 2 minutes of running - simply because the choke stuck and the engine was coughing/jerking enough to break the 3x little disc lugs. When the lugs broke, the bolt spun tight until it snapped, and the spinning disc and blades came out from underneath like a feral cat in a blender and sparked all the way across the road before it stopped.

Took me 5 minutes to pull my legs back out of my arse.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

My order for the rover has been delayed.
    After reading this post, I've cancelled my order guys.
    I'll stick to the 216 Honda for a while until all
    The Rover issues are solved.
    Thanks for all the comments guys.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Rover Disk.jpg

Another thought..
    1. Cut out the section in blue.
    2. Weld to the disk around the cut edge 10mm x10mm angle
    3. Weld back in place the section that has been cut out in exact same spot

Blades would be 10mm lower, no need to get longer bolts as the disk stays in the same spot, deck would not drag through the grass.
    Dont shoot me guys just a thought..
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Maybe if you're close at the moment, a couple of extra blade washers might be all thats needed
    Is that a Kohler Engine Simo ?
    Rover 910 engine
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

The hardest part of altering the blade carrier would be keeping the thing balanced otherwise vibration will happen.

My blade carrier distorts at the blade bolt holes over time and the blade tips end up inside the front skirt instead of proud of it. It cuts best when I flatten it out again to look like this

018rs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    My order for the rover has been delayed.
    After reading this post, I've cancelled my order guys.
    I'll stick to the 216 Honda for a while until all
    The Rover issues are solved.
    Thanks for all the comments guys.
    Good Move, i'll count my losses and move to something better designed as well, i'll need a new roughy mower for the winter anyway

The problem isn't as bad as it reads,we are only picking the machine to bits as there are many being used by contractors out there.

It's when you get to couch type lawns it would pay to use a different mower if you want to go super low,i know the honda 216 i had did have the same problem not getting low enough.Very rare for me to go that a low setting

Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post
    If you want to lower the blades, the easiest and most secure way is to spin up a collar on the lathe to go around the shaft between the top end of the blade boss and the ridge of the crankshaft/output shaft.
    Make the collar as thick as the amount of drop you need. Make sure you use a longer High tensile bolt to allow for the extra distance it has to go in before it threads.
    Don't bugger around with bits of washers and wrong size/strength bolts or you're setting yourself up for a catastrophy.

I've had a disc assembly come off a brand new stock standard HRU in it's first 2 minutes of running - simply because the choke stuck and the engine was coughing/jerking enough to break the 3x little disc lugs. When the lugs broke, the bolt spun tight until it snapped, and the spinning disc and blades came out from underneath like a feral cat in a blender and sparked all the way across the road before it stopped.

Took me 5 minutes to pull my legs back out of my arse.
    I'm looking at taking the boss off and bolting on one or two washers,bolting them together tight.Spot welding them together making it one complete unit
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well it is a big problem when you leave ol' Cecil's manicured couch lawn with scuff marks from a dragging mower, but yes it is more suited to your general kik or bulffalo.Since a lot of my lawns are couch. New mower shopping again, after 2 weeks. i'm out of this thread

Good move, I never thought it was the kind of mower to use on a bowling green style anyhow, from what I read in the Indy mowing book couch lawns need a cylinder mower, Im pleased with the way this machine works on the standard lawns I do
    Well it is a big problem when you leave ol' Cecil's manicured couch lawn with scuff marks from a dragging mower, but yes it is more suited to your general kik or bulffalo.Since a lot of my lawns are couch. New mower shopping again, after 2 weeks. i'm out of this thread

How thick are the washers? If they are like 5mm each it would pay to get longer bolts too.

Couch lawns don't 'need' a cylinder mower but they do look better when cut long-term by one because couch is a very fine leaf grass and should be cut short and often, to stay healthy. Using a cylinder mower most are cut below 15mm which even a Honda won't do. Then you also need to convince your clients that the job needs to be done weekly. I did a cylinder mown couch lawn for a client while he was away but I used my Honda on its second lowest setting and it still barely took the tips off the grass. Might be a surprise to some but kikuyu can also be done with a cylinder mower if you are so inclined. It's a 50:50 thing here. Plenty of overgrown kikuyu lawns that the Rovers would do well on but also plenty of lawns where you have to be able to cut low, but not with a cylinder mower. Even with my most well manicured lawns here, including my own, the Rover wouldn't cut it as the highest I go with the Honda is the fifth lowest setting (what Honda calls 7) and a lot of them (couch) are actually done at the third lowest setting (what Honda calls 9). Go to Perth and there are as many cylinder mowers getting around as rotary mowers, if not more. The current Honda manual says they cut from 76mm down to 16mm so I don't think they have changed their frame or cut heights at all compared to the older Hondas.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    How thick are the washers? If they are like 5mm each it would pay to get longer bolts too.
    Still waiting for them to turn up.."SIMO" should know as he has already got it fitted
    I think he said it halved the distance

Went out doin units today and set the mower height at #4,these lawns would be the roughest i got where the wheels would dip down as much as 40mm.Very undulating surface.

Never been that low but the lawn isn't thick for kikuyu,the rover was alright for the 8 units.Did feel it grab a few times.

Most i notice any drag is that thick kikuyu as that rear bar is dragging.Like i say lower the cutting blades and it clears all grass behind it.

Page 58 of 72 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172 LastLast