Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Employing Staff.

Default Re: Employing Staff.

Hi Simmo,
    Yes mate full induction. The main one is don't ever ever ever put your hand in the chute or put your foot under the mower on high settings I use a stick to emulate your fingers. You got to watch like a hawk and tell them at least 4-5 times before they get it but that is normal it takes me 10 Yes white card
    Your asking the wrong guy because I only have a helper 1-2 days a week. Maybe ask Fred he is an old hand and I think has permanent workers and will offer better advice than me.
    Cheers
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

Very Helpful Member

White card better get the anti discrimination people on to this
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    White card better get the anti discrimination people on to this
    cmon i mean they HAD to change it - the "green card" sent the wrong impression . . . daddio

Didn't realise it had been so long since someone had posted in this section of the forum!

I've just put together some thoughts on getting to the point in your business in where you can employee someone (if that's what your goal is). Let me know your thoughts!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMcgrNMIJNc

Really are you that much better off employing someone? I'm talking fulltime, part time you can make a case for, fulltime not so much. Unless you are going to run multiple crews the money just isn't there and the extra hassle and paperwork that comes with it eats up any slight profit you may make over a good single operator. I'm talking a good single operators income up against your regular two person operation. One where the boss is good and the offsider is your average typical offsider. Yes on paper it all sounds great but in reality where you have no shows, half hearted workers, workers that don't listen to instructions, workers that break machines, workers that are using you to steal IP so they can go on to start there own business, the small amount of extra cash you make just isn't worth the hurt that comes with it.

And yes i understand a handful out there will be lucky enough to have an offsider who is an excellent worker where it does all work but it's rare, very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve View Post
    Really are you that much better off employing someone? I'm talking fulltime, part time you can make a case for, fulltime not so much. Unless you are going to run multiple crews the money just isn't there and the extra hassle and paperwork that comes with it eats up any slight profit you may make over a good single operator. I'm talking a good single operators income up against your regular two person operation. One where the boss is good and the offsider is your average typical offsider. Yes on paper it all sounds great but in reality where you have no shows, half hearted workers, workers that don't listen to instructions, workers that break machines, workers that are using you to steal IP so they can go on to start there own business, the small amount of extra cash you make just isn't worth the hurt that comes with it.

And yes i understand a handful out there will be lucky enough to have an offsider who is an excellent worker where it does all work but it's rare, very rare.
    Could not agree more mate. I am better off after going to a single operator and adjust how and what I do
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

+1

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Could not agree more mate. I am better off after going to a single operator and adjust how and what I do
    Yep exactly, i only use a guy when it has rained for a few days and I'm 50 jobs behind, when I'm caught up I'm on my own again

i know most of you guys have been mowing for along time, longer than me,
    but i think and in my case i think in this industry the key to success is not by many lawns we do but Consistency as long as the days are booked constantly i think thats the key!

Yes, after about 5-6 years of searching I found 1 of those rare ones!!! My brother.

It did take 5-6 years of some of the above but we both now work hours that generally suit both of us with flexibility also.

Horses for courses - everyone's approach is different. You've got valid points Scoob, and sounds like you've experienced many of them yourself. Dont know if you watched the video I posted, but from the outset, it always boils down to what you, yourself, want to achieve with you business. For me personally. the 'hassle' is worth going through to push my business to a point that it can provide me a comfortable income without me having to be on the tools, or without me having to even be in front of a computer or in front of a client.

There's challenges for sure; I'm experiencing it right now. For every couple of steps forwards, I'm taking a step back. Bringing on your first, second, third etc employee always means that you'll have to take a cash flow hit initially. You've also got additional paperwork but once you've got enough work for them, and an efficient route / client list, you start to see the benefits. I wouldn't hire someone if I didn't think it was ever going to turn my businesses situation into a better one in the long run, than if I hadnt hired an employee at all.

Finding a good employee is not easy. But if you don't think you can find one at all, then you're not looking in the right places.

Bottom line is that there is many sole operators running very profitable businesses without employing anyone else, and there is a much smaller number of larger lawn / garden maintenance businesses employing 4 + employees successfully and profitably. You definately don't have to employ someone to have a profitable business, but there is opportunity out there for people who want to grow it larger than just themselves, are willing to take on the challenges involved, and work towards having an even more profitable business than they could of if they hadn't started employing people.

Quote Originally Posted by mowbro View Post
    Horses for courses - everyone's approach is different. You've got valid points Scoob, and sounds like you've experienced many of them yourself. Dont know if you watched the video I posted, but from the outset, it always boils down to what you, yourself, want to achieve with you business. For me personally. the 'hassle' is worth going through to push my business to a point that it can provide me a comfortable income without me having to be on the tools, or without me having to even be in front of a computer or in front of a client.

There's challenges for sure; I'm experiencing it right now. For every couple of steps forwards, I'm taking a step back. Bringing on your first, second, third etc employee always means that you'll have to take a cash flow hit initially. You've also got additional paperwork but once you've got enough work for them, and an efficient route / client list, you start to see the benefits. I wouldn't hire someone if I didn't think it was ever going to turn my businesses situation into a better one in the long run, than if I hadnt hired an employee at all.

Finding a good employee is not easy. But if you don't think you can find one at all, then you're not looking in the right places.

Bottom line is that there is many sole operators running very profitable businesses without employing anyone else, and there is a much smaller number of larger lawn / garden maintenance businesses employing 4 + employees successfully and profitably. You definately don't have to employ someone to have a profitable business, but there is opportunity out there for people who want to grow it larger than just themselves, are willing to take on the challenges involved, and work towards having an even more profitable business than they could of if they hadn't started employing people.
    You can only try it and see if you are lucky with who you employ.

Most contractors i've known over the years have tried to expand with similar end goals to you. It's easy enough in the boom periods but can be hard, really hard when the dry times hit. Keep an eye on the volume players when the next drought hits........it might give you a few pointers on how not to expand and teach you how to do it right.

Any worthwhile employee who is trained and can do the job as good as you will eventually catch on that working for 22ph award wage is not as great as making double if not triple that going it on his own, so it's only a matter of time.
    Especially in the modern day of cheap equipment, cheap insurance, internet marketing ,cheap flyers.

Competition in the last 4 years has grown so much.
    Independent and i know it

Tip, whoever you employ, wether you give them a trial period or not, their first day should give you a great indication.
    Its ALL about attitude !
    They probably won't have the experience, skills, etc, to work efficiently on their first day but, its their attitude/enthusiasm thats most important.
    If its not there from day 1, it won't get any better, don't persevere, move on quickly.

Over many years, we've had many very good employees, also quite a few average ones.
    A good employee will definitely make you money, a poor one will not.
    As SM said, don't expect to keep the goodens for ever, thats just part of it.
    You will however, get much satisfaction to see them go on & succeed.

Cheers Fred.

your employee is just our little help or fill in the small hole. most of the jobs you still need do yourself.
    e.g, you do the hard work like trimming, they just pick up or clean up.
    so dont expect 60-70% replacement. same principal how much you earn, how much they earn.
    they will work hard if you give them 70-75% of your income but i bet none of us will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by SM MOWING View Post
    Any worthwhile employee who is trained and can do the job as good as you will eventually catch on that working for 22ph award wage is not as great as making double if not triple that going it on his own, so it's only a matter of time.
    Especially in the modern day of cheap equipment, cheap insurance, internet marketing ,cheap flyers.

Competition in the last 4 years has grown so much.
    I would figure if you had a worthwhile employee you would pay them More than $22 p/Hr. If you want to keep them you need to make it worth it for them.
    My employee understands that I may chase some work/quotes etc while leaving him to do some of the not so liked work. He knows that if he wants his preferred hours we both must be flexible with workloads.
    He is my brother so understands what's expected but that's the type of working arrangement you need to have otherwise it's always going to be a hard gig.
    You also need to see what's available in today's market place and what incentives their are available for you.
    An older employee suited me because we have regular work and work at just a steady pace. This suits both of us as we both have the aches and pains of many older people in this industry and we prefer go usually work well within our limits.
    You really need to work out what you want from your business and what you are prepared to do and if the expected headaches you may get from employing will give you the results you want.
    We would still be in the dark ages if everyone looked at the obstacles to employing and then just put it in the "too hard " basket

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast