Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawn mower found

Default Re: Lawn mower found

So what happens if the old owner next week rocks up at the police station or see`s you with it , is it bad luck buddy for him or can he still legally take it back..
    A friend of mine bought an unregisted car from the wreckers.. Spent $1500 on it went to get it registed and its stollen, had to hand it back to the owner lost it all..wreckers said they didn`t know it was stollen and he got zip from them too..it was going to end in a legal battle against the wreckers he decided to walk away..
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

Very Helpful Member

i don't know the legal ramification but if the previous owner hasn't been to the police in 3 months i doubt he's going to go now and i can't see to many people stopping a contractor to see if the 216 their using is theirs
    if you think about it though it's really quite a sad indictment of our society that someone looses a valuable piece of equipment like this and doesn't report it to the police because they probably assumed anyone finding it wouldn't be honest enough to hand it in either that or they may have stolen it themselves
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    i don't know the legal ramification but if the previous owner hasn't been to the police in 3 months i doubt he's going to go now
    Don't bet on that. I used to run a Council Compliance team. My first week in the job I had a bloke rock up wanting to know what had happened to his BMW that got towed as an abandoned vehicle 7 yrs previously...yes....7 yrs. **** it the fan because the Local Government Act stated that Council had the right to dispose of the vehicle if the owner did not claim it. He didn't and they did. They sold it for 20K. But the LGA also says that once Council has recouped all their expenses the remainder goes to the owner. The Council had done all the right things in trying to contact the owner but no luck so they pocket the money. Well 7 years later he turns up and proves he was the owner. We had to pay him back $18K, Turned out he got locked overseas for something.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12